Tossing the thing back and forth now.....any insight?

carrie640
on 8/5/09 6:57 am - Lansing, MI
For a number of years, I have been terrified of this surgery, even though I truly wanted it.  I was recently inspired by DH's cousin who went through it...she looks AMAZING.   I have been able to put the surgery fears behind me and have realized what counts...and that is my kids and my health (for them).  

What scares me now????  The pre-surgery liquid diet.  Seriously.  Dumb, isn't it???  But, I am here to tell you that if I cannot gag this liquid stuff down, there is no way I will be able to do it for two weeks prior and any time after...it just won't happen.  The last thing I want to do is start forking out money for the process only to be given this stuff to drink at the time and not be able to do it.

I've tasted Slim Fast (NASTY!!!).  I've even done the whole protein stuff you can add to drinks, etc...and even tried a sample of a powder shake mix in strawberry:  HIDEIOUS.  Most recently, my mother snatched a sample of some nutritional supplement thing from GNC (for women with tons of vitamins, etc in it).  It was chocoloate.  Smelled JUST like Hot Chocolate mix....TASTED LIKE HELL.   So not kidding.  

So..I am wondering if the stuff I've tasted is anything like what you are expected to drink for this course???  If it is, there is no way I will be able to hack it.  

THEN....what happens AFTER the entire process?  Are you really stuck on the no-fat/low-fat crap forever and ever amen with no exceptions?  I cannot get down anything less than 1% in milk....it just doesn't happen (not that I drink a lot of milk, anyway).  There are many things I can't tell the difference in, but there ARE things I can and can't tolerate.

ALSO...after this is completed......I do understand that one has to eat sensibly, but at the same time, I don't want to be restricted entirely.  Let's be honest....sometimes a treat of pizza or McDonald's is good for your soul!  No..I am not looking to eat like hell on that stuff afterwards..that isn't the case...point being, I don't want to scrutinize every little thing I put in a cart at the store, either.  I don't want to have to ONLY drink skim milk or else I will puke.

This is major surgery...a huge life-changing thing...I understand that.....so I need to know beforehand if, from a medical standpoint, do I REALLY have to make things sugar-free ALL the time or else I will jepordize my life, etc?  

It's hard to explain....I read about dumping and that.....and is that a long-term thing that can happen?  So..if I treat to a candy bar every so often, will I die and chuck my guts out as if I were allergic?  

I am scared STIFF now.  I am VERY picky about food (healthy and not healthy alike)......will I ever be able to eat "normally" again?  Not JUNKY....normal things (a fresh peach.....celery...a cookie here and there.....a steak?) in healthy portions!

Thanks in advance!
Carrie-37 yrs Married w/ 2 kiddos and 2 cats!
Current BMI 44 and starting to research process June 09

Dawn Just Dawn
on 8/5/09 7:10 am
What scares me now????  The pre-surgery liquid diet.  Seriously.  Dumb, isn't it???  But, I am here to tell you that if I cannot gag this liquid stuff down, there is no way I will be able to do it for two weeks prior and any time after...it just won't happen.  The last thing I want to do is start forking out money for the process only to be given this stuff to drink at the time and not be able to do it.

My doctor did not require a pre-op liquid diet.  I had two days of clear liquids prior to surgery and that was it.  Prior to surgery I ordered sample after sample of every protein drink I could.  DH and I had nightly taste tests.  Chike is good, Nectar is better, Bariatric Advantage was also good.  There are sugar free syrups and pudding mixes and jello flavors to spruce up a protein shake. 
Post Op, I use 1 or 2% milk, whatever DH brings home from the market.  I hate NF milk and agree it makes a huge difference in taste in milk.  I am just shy of 2 weeks out, and I have not been hungry once, have not craved any food. 

Dawn    Stroke Dawg   is stroking outhttp://i.imgur.com/Zk9Yj.jpg
M M
on 8/5/09 7:38 am
If that's all your worried about - the liquid diet?! 

Seriously- it's nothing.  At. All.

There are enough choices out there to keep you occupied for years in terms of liquid protein/meal replacements.

Throw your SlimFast in the blender with ice or frozen coffee cubes, add a drop of extract, peppermint works for me, or SF syrups and blend.  Voila.  Frankly, that or the Wal-Mart brand of protein is the cheapest and easiest to find...
(deactivated member)
on 8/5/09 7:41 am - AZ
On August 5, 2009 at 1:57 PM Pacific Time, carrie640 wrote:
For a number of years, I have been terrified of this surgery, even though I truly wanted it.  I was recently inspired by DH's cousin who went through it...she looks AMAZING.   I have been able to put the surgery fears behind me and have realized what counts...and that is my kids and my health (for them).  

I've tasted Slim Fast (NASTY!!!).  I've even done the whole protein stuff you can add to drinks, etc...and even tried a sample of a powder shake mix in strawberry:  HIDEIOUS.  Most recently, my mother snatched a sample of some nutritional supplement thing from GNC (for women with tons of vitamins, etc in it).  It was chocoloate.  Smelled JUST like Hot Chocolate mix....TASTED LIKE HELL.   So not kidding.  

So..I am wondering if the stuff I've tasted is anything like what you are expected to drink for this course???  If it is, there is no way I will be able to hack it.  

THEN....what happens AFTER the entire process?  Are you really stuck on the no-fat/low-fat crap forever and ever amen with no exceptions?  I cannot get down anything less than 1% in milk....it just doesn't happen (not that I drink a lot of milk, anyway).  There are many things I can't tell the difference in, but there ARE things I can and can't tolerate.

ALSO...after this is completed......I do understand that one has to eat sensibly, but at the same time, I don't want to be restricted entirely.  Let's be honest....sometimes a treat of pizza or McDonald's is good for your soul!  No..I am not looking to eat like hell on that stuff afterwards..that isn't the case...point being, I don't want to scrutinize every little thing I put in a cart at the store, either.  I don't want to have to ONLY drink skim milk or else I will puke.

This is major surgery...a huge life-changing thing...I understand that.....so I need to know beforehand if, from a medical standpoint, do I REALLY have to make things sugar-free ALL the time or else I will jepordize my life, etc?  

It's hard to explain....I read about dumping and that.....and is that a long-term thing that can happen?  So..if I treat to a candy bar every so often, will I die and chuck my guts out as if I were allergic?  

I am scared STIFF now.  I am VERY picky about food (healthy and not healthy alike)......will I ever be able to eat "normally" again?  Not JUNKY....normal things (a fresh peach.....celery...a cookie here and there.....a steak?) in healthy portions!

Thanks in advance!

The pre op LIQUID diet is my pet peeve.  The whole idea of the diet is to shrink your liver.  The best way to do that is to burn glycogen from your muscles and liver.  The way you burn glycogen is low carb.

There is NO value in a low carb LIQUID diet, none.  You can have the same number of low carbs in a solid food diet.  I would fight tooth and nail for a low carb solid food pre op diet.  Make your doctor show you a peer reviewed study that shows low carb liquids are superior to low carb solids.  It does not exist.

Now, post op you just have to suck it up and do it.  No way around that one.  It's a few weeks out of your life and you will survive it. :o/  There are good products out there but you just have to keep trying them until you find one you like.

Low fat.. I don't do low fat.  We eat such small quantities of food that regular fat isn't that many more calories than low fat and low fat usually means higher in sugar.  Flavor comes from fat, take the fat out and you take the flavor out so they replace fat with sugar.

Yes, you do want to scrutinize everything you put in your cart at the store.  You have to start reading food labels and paying very close attention to what you are putting in your mouth.

Are you considering bypass?  If so, yeah... you might dump on sugar.  That really isn't a bad thing.

NNicholas
on 8/5/09 7:43 am, edited 8/5/09 7:44 am - Oxford, MI
     I have been through some good and bad parts of having weight loss surgery. First there are many good protein products. Places like GNC market primarily to the body building people. I think they will tolerate anything to build up mass and drink the most God awful shake mixes. Over time you will find shake that don't taste so bad. Also I don't drink them that often any more. Just when I want a protein meal and don't want to take the time to prepare something. I actually prefer a brand called HMR and use their HWR 800 product.
     As for dumping, I have severe dumping if I eat the wrong foods like those high in sugar or fat. I don't eat them anymore so therefore I don't dump very often anymore. Just yesterday a lady at the weight loss clinic, through which I had my RNY, was complaining that she was doing poorly and gaining weight. She remarked that she never dumped, but now wished she had because she still eats junk food and sweets. I have come to realize that my dumping has been a blessing and has helped train me to accept eating differently.
     I do eat normal now, I just eat better. There is nothing I can say that I miss about any of the foods I no longer eat. I really don't miss paying way too much for huge clothes. I don't miss not being able to do things with my family and friends, and I really don't miss wondering if I will live to see my next birthday. 

I guess this should say it all:

460+ lbs and size 66 pants              242 lbs and size 40 pants

"I refuse to measure success in pounds lost, but rather in life gained!"
Nick
daisy560
on 8/5/09 8:37 am, edited 8/5/09 8:39 am - NE

The liquid diet if anything helps you break your food habits, it makes you change your behavior, it prepares you for the liquied diet you have to do AFTER surgery, and oh and it DOES shrink your liver, that tiny detail.  :P  

You shouldn't be scared of the liquid diet.  As I choked down my less-then-appetizing concoctions I reminded myself that those couple of weeks was to help me make the rest of my life better. 

Most people can return to eating "normal" food after time unless they develop an intolerence.  Just remember it's our "normal" eating that got ALL OF US to this decision. 

There is no such thing as normal, you decide what is normal.  Maybe your new normal is eating what feeds your body to be as healthy as it can be. 

Just remember this surgery is just a tool, nothing more.  These boards are covered with people who lost lots of weight just to gain it back because they didn't hold up their end of the bargain. 

You just have to decide to change and take the big leg up that WLS offers you. 

Good luck with your surgery!!!!

- Patti
True Change comes from within. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/5/09 9:10 am
What you describe and the lifestyle you want - looks like the DS may suit you better. Check the DS board and make sure - that you get the correct surgery - first time.

There are a lot of people who had RNy and then revision to DS and there are some RNY who wish they had DS.
i have not heard from one who had DS that they wish they had RNY

Research before you decide.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

carrie640
on 8/5/09 9:18 am - Lansing, MI
On August 5, 2009 at 4:10 PM Pacific Time, hala2215 wrote:
What you describe and the lifestyle you want - looks like the DS may suit you better. Check the DS board and make sure - that you get the correct surgery - first time.

There are a lot of people who had RNy and then revision to DS and there are some RNY who wish they had DS.
i have not heard from one who had DS that they wish they had RNY

Research before you decide.
Oh my!  I was told the DS had a rather large body size requirement.  I am 261, currently.....and at the informational meeting I went to, the doc told us it was for higher body masses/body sizes.  She only does the RNY/LB.....but did make mention of that fact.  
Carrie-37 yrs Married w/ 2 kiddos and 2 cats!
Current BMI 44 and starting to research process June 09

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/5/09 9:27 am, edited 8/5/09 9:28 am

there are not many docs that do the DS.  But it is a choice.

I had RNY. i lost all my weight that I had to lose. Now I am maintaining.  So far so good.
But - If I knew then what I know now - i would have found a doc that does DS. 
Check it out.  Do your research.  What you describe: normal food, higher fat, normal life post -op - is more like a post op Ds person and not RNY. 
Now - and for the rest of my life - I will be on a diet.

what i do not like about RNY:
-I developed Reactive Hypoglycemia - not fun -  trust me. (so i have to watch carbs at every meal and i can not have a meal or snack that is just carbs - like i.e. banana) - had no problem with sugar pre-op 
-I can not take NSAids.
-Dumping, food getting stuck - not  fun
-Ulcers are in my future (most likely)
- I can not drink with food - (not a problem for a DS)
- Possibility of stretched stoma

Higher rate of regain than for DS.

(edited - spelling)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Elizabeth N.
on 8/5/09 9:39 am - Burlington County, NJ
You need to see a real DS surgeon, not someone with a vested interest in talking smack about a procedure s/he does not do. Anyone who qualifies for WLS is heavy enough for a DS. Please come visit us on the DS board and learn more about this, the diamond studded Lexus of WLS procedures.