OH Members and OH Staff - Securing Your Photos!!!

(deactivated member)
on 7/15/09 10:25 am

This site needs more than just security for photos -- people post a lot of personal information here and I don't like the idea that someone can access it by searching on google for my screen name.

I'm certain there is a way to increase security for our information on these boards.  It's one thing to share my thoughts or questions about weight loss here, and another to know that someone (co-workers, my boss ... anyone really) could access it through a search on google.

The surgery forum here on OH serves as my post-op support group because I live too far away from my surgeon's office to be able to participate in the support group there.  I want to feel that I can express my thoughts, feelings, and questions/concerns with some degree of privacy here.

LoriPA
on 7/15/09 10:42 am - McKeesport, PA
On July 15, 2009 at 5:25 PM Pacific Time, suntart66 wrote:

This site needs more than just security for photos -- people post a lot of personal information here and I don't like the idea that someone can access it by searching on google for my screen name.

I'm certain there is a way to increase security for our information on these boards.  It's one thing to share my thoughts or questions about weight loss here, and another to know that someone (co-workers, my boss ... anyone really) could access it through a search on google.

The surgery forum here on OH serves as my post-op support group because I live too far away from my surgeon's office to be able to participate in the support group there.  I want to feel that I can express my thoughts, feelings, and questions/concerns with some degree of privacy here.

I agree. I was wondering if there is any way to make the boards private from the "general public" where nothing can be viewed without registering, or at least make a way where nothing can be copied. There's a lot of sensitive information shared on here and for it to be posted in other places just wouldn't be right.

My three year band-niversary is March 22, 2010!

(deactivated member)
on 7/16/09 3:19 am - Jacksonville, NC
I agree with you.  Only members should be able to view the forums and our profiles.  I realize that anyone seeing a picture can use the print screen key and save the picture.  Doesn't matter if they are protected.  You can always steal a picture but it would cut down a lot on the traffic if only members had the ability to see the pictures and info in the first place.
Nicolle
Mike, you are sooo right. Some of our OH sisters have recently had their perfectly innocent photos stolen and used on a fetish-type site. Made me sick.

OH, get on this, please!!!

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

Bitchy McSnipe
If you know anything about the internet, you know that all this will do is prevent total newbies from saving or copying your picture. Anyone that knows more than the slightest about basic html or even has a website or journal or anything knows that all you have to do is do a Screenshot (Alt + Prt Scrn, the function comes with every computer and operating system).
And all browsers have a View Source that allows you to highlight the picture, and view the source.
Seriously, this takes no time or effort.

If you don't want your pictures to be copied, do not make them public access on a community.
This rule has been around since the dawn of the internet.
No different for this community.
The only thing that can be done is to crack down on legislation on using copywrited images.
And cracking down on that is hard and too restrictive, because that affects the dissemination of ALL images on the site.
Basically, you've put your pictures on a public internet site just like if someone was to put their pictures up on a billboard on a highway. You've openly invited people to look at it. If someone takes a picture of the billboard and shows their friends, it's hard to track that person down.

Basically, your idea sounds great from a noob perspective. If you've been on the net for a decent amount of time, have a flickr account or are more than just a casual internet person - like the people that run those sites mocking our pictures - this idea is kind of a joke as far as deterrents go.

Just sayin'.

Bitchy McSnipe
on 7/15/09 10:34 am
OH, You have multiple security options on OH for those that don't know yet.

Each picture and album you have the following settings:
Everyone,    My Friends,    Nobody.

BTW, these are the same rules and security channels for  any other image site with security-conscious images.
If you're truly scared of people taking your pictures, USE THESE ACCORDINGLY.

It's naive as hell to think that nothing is going to happen to a picture you make public.
Also, there are fake accounts ALL over OH.

I'm not trying to sound like a nay-sayer, just putting a little common tech sense into the picture based on policies of every major picture storing site on the internet.

Use common sense when putting up pictures.
Including pictures of your kids, and stop blaming OH when this happens.

When you see a site with pictures taken from here, TAKE ACTION by informing the webhoster of that site, and they will yank it accordingly.

Miss Redd
on 7/15/09 10:27 pm - Lancashire, United Kingdom
Oooh! A fellow Geek Girl sister!!

I was going to say the same thing. Screenshot!

Pre Surgery 383 Surgery 359 Current 180

NEW YOUTUBE Channel!

ladydi1970
on 7/16/09 9:49 am - GA
Wow...your screen name kinda says it all doesn't it??

Diana   DS Revision from '99 RNY 
UHC Denied Jan'09/APPROVED Feb'09 
DS-SW287; CW/190 GW/152

(deactivated member)
on 7/15/09 10:25 am - AZ

The owner of the photo could watermark it but I don't think there is anything that is foolproof to prevent people from stealing them.

Internet privacy folks, it's a big deal.

I do not understand why people are putting photos of their little kids up.  It's just not wise.

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 7/15/09 10:27 am
On July 15, 2009 at 5:07 PM Pacific Time, Michael S. wrote:
I have now heard of multiple people having their photo's "stolen" and being used on other websites, such as a fetish site and a dating site.  Someone has made an excellent suggestion and I wanted to show the OH staff how important this topic is to everyone!

Is it possible for OH to make it so your photo's can't be "saved" or "copied" by someone other than the owner?  I have seen other websites where this was done.  The website makes it so you are not allowed to right click on images, or copy them.  If OH could make this possible for at least the photos in members' personal photo albums that would be very much appreciated!

If anyone out the likes or dislikes this idea, please post on this thread!

Thanks,
Mike
it's certainly possible for OH to make it safe for us. I right clicked on a photo on eharmony.com and got a notice saying, nope, you can't copy this.

it would be a nice option, wouldn't it?

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great