anyone tested for nicotine prior to surgery

destiny122503
on 6/26/09 3:59 pm - Harker Heights , TX
Ok I am having surgery on July 21st  my doctor will not do the surgery unless I quit smoking for one month. I have been working hard to quit smoking and did good for about two weeks with no cigarettes, tonight I drank and went out with friends and smoked a couple of cigarettes. I have been on the patch for 2 weeks and did not smoke until tonight, did your surgeon test you for nicotine etc... if so what method? urine? blood? How long does it stay in your system? will the patch cause nicotine to show in a blood test? Is there anything I can do to flush my system just to make sure there are no traces in my system causing them to cancel surgery? Anyways really need some advice cause I am worried. No more cigarettes Promise!!!! but just worried, is the patch ok? if it does show in a blood or urine test is there any way to destinquish between the two or should I quit using the patch, I don't want anything to jeperdize surgery!
Beckypm
on 6/26/09 5:32 pm, edited 6/26/09 5:32 pm - LAS VEGAS, NV
Quit NOW, I tested positive after 28 days with absolutely no cigarettes! I was almost canceled but by the time the test came back it had been 6 more days and I went down on the 35th day with no cigarettes and tested negative. My doctors nurse said it can take up to 45 days to exit your system.
  I dont want to discourage you but please dont smoke anymore if you really want your surgery!  Good Luck!!  oh, does your doc know your on the patch?
Becky    H/C/G  274/148/145dirty_birdie_sm.gif picture by CCRHbiker_chick_button_100x100.gif picture by CCRHweteo_addict_100x100.gif picture by WETEO
themema2
on 6/26/09 10:44 pm - Jacksonville, FL
I am a lab tech.  We can detect it for 60 days. 
If you are seroius about this surgery do what is required!!
whoknewbutu
on 6/27/09 1:36 am - St. Augustine, FL
Weird.... I smoked until the night before. They never tested me. Of course the anesthesiologist was not thrilled when he came in to the room before surgery and asked how long it had been since i smoked... LOL

Then i again i have this huge "NON-COMPLIANT" written in my file...

(deactivated member)
on 6/27/09 2:24 am - Bellmawr, NJ
I have never smoked in my life, so this is just a curiosity question. Why do they make you quit smoking (other than the obvious that its not healthy generally, I guess, is there a specific reason related to surgery?)
(deactivated member)
on 6/27/09 2:45 am

Destiny-
Test for Nicotine...yessiree BOB!  In fact, when I wnet in for the pre-op testing, that's the first test they do.  You breathe into an apparatus.  For some reason, because I'm allergic to aspartame (a component of the test, I guess), I had a blood test.

I was a non-smoker,  I quit by using the Nicotrol inhaler.  Yes, with the patch, nicotine will show up, yes, with the Nicotrol inhaler, nicotine will show up in your test.  The patch delivers doses of nicotine through your skin to "take the edge off" of your cravings, just as the inhaler does.

My surgeon required that you had to have quit six months prior to surgery.

Nicotine depletes so many different nutrients from our bodies that are needed for healing after a major surgery like tjhis one.  There are studies that have been done that indicate nicotione interferes with healing.  It also can affect what kind and how much of anesthesia is used, and smokers usually have breathing problems post-surgery and are more likely to get pneumonia.

As a smoker, everytime I caught a cold (which was often), it always developed into bronchitis, and it went into pneumonia twic.  Since I quit smoking, I haven't had a cold or bronchitis in two years!
(deactivated member)
on 6/27/09 2:59 am

Destiny-

STOP SMOKING NOW!!! 

DrinK plenty of water,(try doing the 64 oz. per day, like you're going to have to do post-op) and take some Golden Seal herb capsules.  You can pretty much find them everywhere with the vitamins and supplements.

I do know that Golden Seal is good for cleansing your system.  It doesn't give you the runs, I promise. 

My Mom and Aunt were big into herbal medicine, so I got to know about different herbal remedies from them, as well as taking them when I was a kid.
Flolynn
on 10/24/16 4:03 pm

So they won't cancel your wls chewing nicotine gum

Grim_Traveller
on 10/24/16 5:37 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

If they test for nicotine, the gum will make you test positive, and they will cancel surgery.

It doesn't matter how the nicotine gets in your system. It's dangerous, regardless.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Flolynn
on 10/24/16 6:31 pm

I'll give that gum up to

Most Active