Iron Absorption Question

ryntra
on 4/11/09 3:41 am - Grand Rapids, MI
I've been battling low iron levels. I was put on an iron supplement (27mg elemental iron) and 500mg of Vitamin C per day. I was told to get it rechecked in 6 weeks. Well, I got it rechecked and my levels haven't really increased at all. I was told to increase the iron/Vit C to twice per day. 

I make sure I don't take the iron/vit C with other vitamins, milk, calcium, tea--which gets tricky.  So I was wondering if I could take both iron pills at one time...hoping that it would alleviate interaction issues with the other things and also to reduce my heartburn/GERD issues (haven't experienced this since surgery until I started taking the iron--even though I take it with food).  But I'm wondering how much iron we can absorb at one time?? Any insight would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance for all your help!

Start/Surgery/Goal
314/299/165

vickie O.
on 4/11/09 3:44 am - amarillo, TX
i was told to take my iron and calcium two hours apart. that they hurt the absorbtion of each other. you might want to check that out with your doc.vick
(deactivated member)
on 4/11/09 4:01 am
 I take my iron on an empty stomach.  I take Vitron-C which is 200mg Iron (ferrous fumerate) w/ 125 mg Vit C  Ferrous Fumerate is a very mild iron, but it is also best absorbed. 

27mg isn't much at all. I take mine before bed when I haven't had the calcium, dairy, caffeine, etc. 2 hrs prior. 
ryntra
on 4/11/09 4:10 am - Grand Rapids, MI
I take mine before bed too so it doesn't interfere with calcium, etc.  My doctor recommended Fergon (Ferroous Gluconate)..it's 240mg (or 27mg elemental). I just wondered if I could take 2 iron pills at the same time--didn't know how much could be absorbed at one time?

Start/Surgery/Goal
314/299/165

(deactivated member)
on 4/11/09 4:17 am
The amount that I am taking IS elemental iron 200 mg (365% Daily Value) so I don't see why you couldn't take more at a shot. 

Sorry, I thought you said you took yours with food for to not upset/gerd, I must have misunderstood. 

Sharyn S.
on 4/11/09 4:54 am - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
To my knowledge, there isn't a limit on how much iron can be absorbed at one time.  I take all of mine ~ 130 mg ~ at one time.

What I do know is that calcium and iron compete for the same cellular receptor sites and the most anyone can absorb at one time is 500-600 mg.  So, it would stand to reason that the maximum iron that can be absorbed at one time would be the same ~ 500-600 mg.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

cabin111
on 4/11/09 12:03 pm
Just passing this along...I heard someone say that when the pee in the middle of the night, that is when they take their iron pill...To make sure no calcium will be blocking it.
Andrea U.
on 4/11/09 1:00 pm - Wilson, NC
A frew things:

The discomfort is because the iron salts (fumarate being one, sulfate being the most common) are notorous for GI discomfort and distress.  Pain, constipation, bloating -- not fun at all.  I use carbonyl, which is straight elemental iron -- not a salt.  No problems with constipation.

The ideal dosage of C to iron is 200mgs C for every 30mgs elemental iron.  The extra C may be causing some irritation as well.

27mgs is a TINY dose.  I mean, REALLY TINY.  I take 600mgs.  Yes.  A day.  Point is, doubling to 54mgs may not do it either.  I'm not telling you to go hell on wheels here and take 200mgs of iron rather than the 54mg -- but if you are still not seeing any change in a few months, then think about drastically increasing your dose, kay?

And while there IS an amount that each person can absorb, each person is different on that number.  I may absorb 50 at a time, while you absorb 100.  Or opposite that.  There's no hard and fast rule on iron, especially given it's requirement of B-vites to completely be utilized and we all know how important B-12 is to us.  So take it all at once.  And if that doesn't help down the road, try seperating it.  It's a guessing game for your doc as much as it is for you.

And make sure your doc is checking zinc and copper levels.  Deficiency in both of these can seriously mimic iron-deficient anemia.  And the three like to be kept in a very very very specific balance.

ryntra
on 4/11/09 11:47 pm - Grand Rapids, MI
Thank you Andrea...you are always have a wealth of information! Do you take 200mg of ELEMENTAL iron? Because my doctor's office told me to take the Fergon OTC which is 27mg elemental but equals 240mg (or that's how it was explained to me).  I'm a bit concerned (well more than an "bit") that my levels barely increased. My hemoglobin level is normal (13) but my other iron levels are low. The Iron is 37 (was 32) and normal is between 40-175. My Saturation level is 8 (was 7) and normal is between 15-50. My Ferritin is 5 (didn't improve AT ALL) and normal is 11-307. I know it takes a while for the iron to improve but I thought I would see more of a change. I was wondering if there is a difference in the kind of iron I take...such as a difference between Ferrous Fumarate and Ferrous Glucunate? Where do you get the carbonyl?

I'm learning to question things more...I was on a prenatal vitamin which was recalled and my doctor's office told me to either take 2 Flintstones or the vitamins they carry (Celebrate). Thanks to you--I knew better than to take Flintstones. So I wanted you to know that you do make a difference and I for one appreciate all your help! 

Start/Surgery/Goal
314/299/165

Andrea U.
on 4/12/09 12:22 am - Wilson, NC
No.  I take 600mgs of ELEMENTAL.  And the form I take it in (a non ferric-salt) is pure elemental iron.  So when I say I take 600mgs of carbonyl iron, all of it is elemental.

Fergon is only 27mg of actual iron -- the rest of that tablet is the stuff that makes up the rest of the pill -- the salt of the ion.

27mg is a TINY dose, especially for someone with a ferritin of 5.  I mean, mind-blowingly TINY.  I have a ferritin of 7 and you see the dose I'm taking, and my doc would really rather I take more but I'd like to keep my bones by taking my calcium as well.

Fumarate, gluconate, and sulfate are all ferric, or iron salts.  Salts are notorious for doing a number on the GI tract, but they are all, more or less, the same.  You'll hear some spout that one is better than another -- about the only thing anyone can agree about the salts is that sulfate is the absolute worst you can be on if you ever wanna go poop again.  The other two aren't stellar, either.

My target pharmacy orders the carbonyl in for me -- any of them can, they just have to look it up in the computer and order it.  Typically, it takes 1 business day to get in.  Costs 4.59 for a 200ct 25mg tab.  This is much cheaper than I've seen it anywhere else.  Also, vitalady sells a version of carbonyl in her Tender Iron.  I've not tried it, so I can't tell you anything about it -- but it's an option.  I've seen an expensive 45mg carbonyl tab at CVS -- like 18.00 a bottle.  It just seems that I stumbled onto a good deal with my target.