New Review. Rant or Rave? Smells amazing, tastes?

M M
on 2/26/09 1:46 am

Nectar Sweets Syntrax Vanilla Bean Torte.

Picture 16

I don't know how I got this far into my post WLS life without reviewing any of this line of proteins. Syntrax Nectar Sweets, in Vanilla Bean Torte, today.  I went to get some information from the manufacturers website, and it scared the crap out of me "PRODUCT!"  It speaks.  Yikes.
DSC_0942
Upon opening the sample pack, it smelled amazing, intensely vanilla.  The powder is super light and fluffy and I anticipated a delicious shake.  I mixed it with, as directed, eight ounces of cold water, and shook it in a shaker cup.  It blended to a nearly perfect clear consistency, but with foam.  It has specks of vanilla bean, I don't know if they're real vanilla bean, but they are there!
DSC_0943
Again, this powder, even mixed smells super.  I took a sip, the initial taste WAS vanilla and good, but then it tasted odd to me, right after getting it in my mouth, it was weird.  Weird also was the shade of yellow.

I let it sit in my mouth like I am wine-tasting.

Thin, and slightly sour-ish.  Sour isn't the right word, but I am puckering and making a bad face.  Maybe had I mixed it with milk - it was be a better choice?  Probably, but I do not drink milk. 

Then, after drinking a sip, and sitting a moment, I got the dry sticky lips and icky after feel.  I am sipping it still, trying to see if it's just me.  Still sipping.  It's not changing.

Ah well.  This is another flavor that I will add to the "good if I doctor it up" list.  If I add ice, a touch of milk, and something, maybe frozen blackberries, it would be fine, because it IS sweet enough.

Imagine what would happen if the Nectar name, and the superior quality and taste that it symbolizes, was fused to sweet, scrumptious, epicurean delights that a person might find in a high-end candy boutique or bakery. The result would be an irresistible protein shake with zero sugars and zero fat that would be an absolute pleasure to consume.

Good news is now at hand! No longer do you have to imagine! We have taken all of the great things about the Nectar™ product line and have combined it with incredible sweet flavors that are out of this world delicious. Let us introduce you to Nectar Sweets, the epitome of gourmet taste in the form of the healthiest protein drink ever created.

As with the entire Nectar™ lineup, expect only the exceptional with Nectar Sweets™. Expect exquisite and full-bodied gourmet flavors, expect zero sugars and zero fat, expect instant mixability with only a spoon, expect the highest quality Promina whey protein isolate, and expect an experience that makes you feel like you are on top of the world.

Syntrax Nectar Sweets Vanilla Bean Torte  has a fine set of nutrition stats, if you like it, it's perfect otherwise, I am just making a sour face over here.  (Now I need a drink, BRB.)
http://www.myhomeamongthehills.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sour-face-773358.jpg

2.04 Lbs. Vanilla Bean Torte
Supplement Facts
Serving Size1Level Scoop (26g)
Servings Per Container 36

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Calories 100  
Calories From Fat 0  
Total Fat 0g 0%*
Saturated Fat 0g 0%*
Trans Fat 0g  
Cholesterol <5mg 1%*
Sodium 160mg 7%*
Potassium 190mg 5%*
Total Carbohydrate 1g 1%*
Dietary Fiber 1g 4%*
Sugars 0g  
Protein 23g 46%*

Vitamin A   0%
Vitamin C   0%
Calcium 150mg 15%
Iron 0mg 0%
Phosphorus 100mg 10%
Magnesium 32mg 8%

Other Ingredients
Whey Protein Isolate (A Milk-Derived Protein; Promina Brand; Ultrafiltered And Undenatured; Includes Beta Protease Peptone, Lactoferrin, Lactoperoxidase, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Vanilla Bean Powder, Soy Lecithin, Salt, Acesulfame-K, Sucralose
texasgirliegirl
on 2/26/09 4:36 am - East Granby, CT
Ha Ha... you are funny! 

I don't know what I'm going to do because I don't like sweets.  I like stuff like cheesy nachos, you know?

So I asked the nutritionist and she recommended Unjury.. which is unflavored.  They also have chicken soup.  Have you tried or reviewed that?
M M
on 2/26/09 4:37 am
No.  I have heard mixed ratings - it seems like a LOVE or HATE thing.  If they have samples - go that route.

Shelley S.
on 2/26/09 5:14 am - Ft Lewis, WA
I got this when I wasn't able to get my Carribean Cooler I love so much but just mixing it plain with water, I'm not really impressed. (I think the CC spoiled me or something)

What I do is I mix it with water then add a scoop of sugar free tang and it's quite tastey that way.  I've been meaning to try maybe some raspberry syrup or another of my sugar free syrups I have to see if there is something else I like other than the tang mixture.

NewCristine
on 2/26/09 5:33 am - East Liverpool, OH

I ordered some of the Orange Creamsicle from the same company and was sooo looking forward to getting it.   Big disappointment.....very faint weird orange & vanilla tastes.  Nothing like I hoped it would be.      I added some orange SF KoolAid to it, but it didn't help much.  I'm pretty new to all of this & I guess I just can't get my hopes up over a protein shake flavor - just gotta choke it down!

Cristi

Consult:   248        Day of Surgery:   235         Current:   145             

Surgeon's Goal:  140         My Goal:  135     
"Everything I've learned about life can be summed up in three words: -  It Goes On"