BMI 70 or greater

netters1
on 9/20/08 6:24 am - Lynden, WA
Most of the posts I see are from people with BMI's between 40-50.  For those of us with more to lose, is there any differances in the journey or pit falls to avoid?  Also how long did it take you to lose the weight?
Jeanette
Amethyst H.
on 9/20/08 6:35 am - WA
Hi Jeanette!

My starting BMI was 60, so well over 50.  I am 9 months out and down 160 pounds.  As far as I have seen, people with higher BMIs tend to lose faster in the beginning.  I still have another 68 pounds to lose before I am at goal. 

As far as pitfalls go... I suppose we all have our own to look out for.  Mine would be carbs.  I tend to really enjoy crackers and that can be a problem for me at times.  I highly recommend paying attention to your own weaknesses and trying really hard to avoid them.

Good luck to you!
jill1234
on 9/20/08 6:38 am
Hi Jeanette,  I started out with a BMI  of 64 and I am not really sure that the weigh loss is any different,  There is a forum for people with BMI's of 50 or greater they maybe able to tell you a little better.   I started at 411 pounds surgery weight 355 (surgery was 4-23-08) and my current weight is 280.  At any rate any weight loss is good weight loss so don't be discouraged at how fast or slow it comes just keep doing what is right.   

eat to live don't live to eat
Michele W.
on 9/20/08 7:28 am - Morenci, AZ
Hi Jeanette, My starting BMI was 68.6 , it's currently about 54. I lost about 30 LBS on my own & 34 since my WLS on 08/13/2008 so I'm down about 64 LBS total. I know I still have a lot to go but I feel so much better knowing that at least I have done something positive for myself. I still have a problem with wanting  to use food  for comfort but I find that I can resist because I'm just so determined to use this tool  which was given to me to my best advantage . I can hardly wait until the next milestone which will be 50 LBS after WLS. I can't believe that many times I need to convince my self to eat because I actually sometimes forget . I can't imagine ever feeling that before WLS because I was NEVER full. Best wishes to you with whatever road you decide to take ,but as for me I LOVE MY RNY !!!! HUGS, Michele
'Life isn't like a bowl
of cherries , it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might  come back to burn you tomorrow......'
scrapper5
on 9/20/08 8:16 am - Burnsville, MN
Jeanette, Have you had surgery yet?

If you have not you should look into the Duodenal Switch.  There is a higher success rate for those people with a BMI over 50.  Check out duodenalswitch.com

Jennifer

LadyDi9080
on 9/20/08 8:27 am - Tallahassee, FL
With a BMI of 70+, check out the advantages of the Duodenal Switch. Greater weight loss, longer weight loss "window" and less of a chance of regain. Check out the forum or visit www.dudenalswitch.com .

Good luck to you!
Dianne from Fl

SW / GW / CW  5'10"
306 / 165 / 140
With the DS: there is no stoma, so no stoma strictures; there are no limitations (other than volume) against drinking before, during or after meals; 80% of ingested fat is malabsorbed; 98.9% of type II diabetics are CURED of this devastating disease, with data showing stable cure over 10 years out; there is the best average weight loss and most durable (average 76% excess weight loss going out 10 years) of all of the bariatric surgeries.  That's why I had a DS!

Elizabeth N.
on 9/20/08 8:46 am - Burlington County, NJ
I started around 63. What to do different? Have the DS. It has the best statistics for excellent weight loss and long term maintenance particularly for people with very high BMI's. Please come visit us on the DS board and find out more about this procedure :-).
DS Facts
on 9/20/08 10:46 am
If you want some more info on duodenal switch you can also check out www.dsfacts.com

Bev
jdruski
on 9/20/08 10:55 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi Jeanette,

Yes, our journey is longer and it is different.  I had a BMI of 69.  I lost 100 lbs the first 3 months and then stalled for a long time.  I am also 53 and have bone on bone knees so my movement was very limited.

Depending on your age, genetics, determination and general physical ability is what determines the outcome of our journeys.  It is the same for our skinnier brothers and sisters but it might take us longer.

Come and join the BMI over 50 support board.  All on there have some remarkable stories. 

Much luck to you.  You can do this and you will.

Jeanne
wvuabby35
on 9/21/08 12:36 pm - TN
Jeanette,

Hi.  It sounds like we are kind of in the same boat.  My BMI is currently over 70, I've brought it down to 70.5 so far.  My doctor won't do surgery until it's under 70, which should happen by my surgery date.  Great question, thank you for posting it.  Good luck to you!
Ash