Vitamin Rant

(deactivated member)
on 9/3/08 11:23 am
MacMadame
on 9/4/08 2:15 am - Northern, CA
Did anyone answer your question? IMO, yes, you should start taking your vitamins now, pre-op. It will build good habits and a lot of what we are supposed to take is what everyone should really be taking, WLS or no.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Frozen_Peach
on 9/3/08 11:35 am
Andrea - message well put.  NO need for flowers and sunshine - it's information - pure and simple...why anyone would be offended is beyond me....

keep on keepin' on girl!!

MY DS  
 labrats.jpg picture by Frozen_Peach

Get the facts about Duodenal Switch at DS Facts
<~~link
DS Recipes can be shared HERE <~~link

PoohkinandPiglet
on 9/3/08 11:38 am - TX
Andrea,

As a newbie, this thread has been really informative.   Can you tell me what time of day you take all these supplements?   How do you break it up?

I have several other meds that I have to take on an empty stomach at different times during the day so I'm trying to figure out the best way to get everything in without any counteractions. 

Thanks

Andrea U.
on 9/3/08 11:56 am - Wilson, NC
I take them all day long.  It's just practice in getting everything sorted out.

Make a list of what needs to go by itself, what likes other things, etc. and time it with that info.

TanyaF
on 9/3/08 2:26 pm
Maybe one you can help me with a question. Do you know if B1 (thiamin) can be absorbed in pill form or does it also have to be sublingual(crap do they even make it sublingual?)? You would think I would know this with all my issues with it but i dont. I have been getting it in shots for a long time now but was recently told to take it along with my B12 daily in between my monthly shots that I get. I have been sick for the last few days with the symptoms that are resembling those that I had with my Vit B problems. Yeah its not fun I thought I had it under control but guess not. Damn I sure hope those crazy ass hallucinations dont start up..LOL..Ive had too many of those.
Andrea U.
on 9/3/08 10:31 pm - Wilson, NC
Thiamin is typically packaged in b-complex combos, which is, in fact, available in a sublingual form.

However, I know that b12, even without the presence of intrinsic factor, will still absorb passively in the intestines.. around 1%.  I would venture a guess, and again, I'm not a scientist, to say that b1 would also be absorbed passively in the same manner.

I take a b-complex liquid gel pill.. makes it easy to get down, and I know I'm absorbing some of it because my pee is bright yellowish green afterwards (signs of Riboflavin absorption).. so you might give that a try.  It's by NatureMade.

It is possible to OD on b vites.. but very very hard to do so and generally takes long-term usage at high doses for this to be an issue.  Take from that what you will, but I take 2 a day...

plusizedbarbie
on 9/3/08 2:29 pm - Manahawkin, NJ
BRAVO on the flintstones part, too many people take them, and even thought their doctors say its ok, my NUT told me the only reason they suggest Flintstone vitamins is because they think that asking patients to take baratric vitamins will turn them off by having to order them.  not to mention the price of them. so they suggest flintstones, as a "something is better than nothing approach" but a GOOD surgeon will drill it into your head that you MUST MUST MUST take a bariatric multi vitamin!
MY WLS RECIPE BLOG!  -- Check it out http://plusizedbarbie.blogspot.com/

Lilypie - (vbmr)    Lilypie - (fb9N)

Changed for good
                            ...september 17, 2007...

Stella-Blue
on 9/4/08 3:23 pm - Where the four winds blow me safely home, NY

Does anyone know where i can read the ingredients and nutritional info on the Bariatric multis?  I'd like to see how they compare to mine before blindly ordering them.    I get my Calcium on line so it might just be good to kill those 2 birds with one credit card!  Haha.   I am not allowed to take Citrical petites  I wish I could. I loved them pre op!  I was told they wouldn't break down enough post op  too.     :( 

Please don't think I am a MORON but what does b 12 do?  I thought it was for nerve transmission or something...should I take it even though my Doc says not to?  I asked her directly bc/ everyone else does.  Are there any risks to taking too much of a vitamin?

Also, does the 27 mg's of iorn that some one reccomended have to be a separate pill or does the iorn in my multi count?  I know some vitamins can impede the absorption of others.  hummn...so many questions.

Start: 487 lbs (8/07) Lost 81 lbs pre op on South Beach. 406 lbs at surgery (6/08). 179 post op, by 2011. I  lost 308 lbs. Gained 98 while pregnant (2012-13) lost all but 25. My goal is to be 179 again!
   siggy1 photo b83557eb-1c5e-4e0a-90b7-89760c2e36e2.jpg   Two years after that.... photo 44fcb3ac-18c4-4dfd-bf38-d324f956cf75.jpg      photo c2781653-fea8-4141-8cac-f0889127d077.jpg  I could not be happier.