Vitamin Rant

Purple Passion
on 9/3/08 4:41 am - Little Falls, NJ
RNY on 08/06/07 with
I love to see you post this information Andrea. If it leads to just one person getting the message and researching the correct supplements to take, it is most definitely worth it. I can't tell you how invaluable this information is. Thank you again.

Rachelle
Looking for a possible revision.
257/190/150 

Mandy_
on 9/3/08 5:04 am - cincinnati, OH
the info IS great.  its the delivery that I dislike.  I might be the only one that posted it but I am certainly not the only one that felt that way.  I recieved several pm's on the matter.

call it what you want...I'll call it what I want.

as I said before WE DO look to long term post ops for info and support.  I guess some of us might like it to come a bit less like this one did. 

it has nothing to do with not wanting to hear I'm wrong about my vits.  I've already learned from previous threads (of the many many many that are posted what seems like daily) that I was wrong and I've since corrected. 

again...the info IS great.  I'm glad it is there.  just the delivery sucks for me.

Mandy, Mom to Jordan (5), Kaida (3) and Luken (born 12/5/09) Army wife!   HW:351 / SW: 328 / CW:149/ Goal weight...what is that?

Lilypie - (Q3jk)

Greytquilta
on 9/3/08 5:19 am - North Kingstown, RI
Andrea,
Keep up the good work.  The newbies need the advice and should not be so thin-skinned to take offense at you writing the truth.  On this board it is very easy just to skip posts of people we don't like.   Thank you again, even us oldies need to be reminded of the rules of by-pass surgery.
Pat
Paula K.
on 9/3/08 5:29 am - Mansfield, OH

Andrea
My surgeon said that the Citrical Petites don't breakdown enough for our bodies to use. Do you crush them? Just wanted to know.

Thanks

Paula

"Courage is being the only one that knows your scared to death"
Andrea U.
on 9/3/08 5:33 am, edited 9/3/08 8:29 am - Wilson, NC
I had not heard that.

I see a science experiment coming on for this afternoon requiring some cups of water, a scale, a thermometer, and two calcium pills.

Hrm...

ETA:  Initial findings are finding your doc to be misinformed.  Will be doing something a bit more scientific, complete with time-lapse photography (hubby's really psyched about doing this, thanks ;-).. but will state that it's quite interesting to watch.

Keep tuned for a detailed post later tonight about this!

PhatMom
on 9/3/08 6:13 am
OHHH...OH's very own Mythbuster...cool!

-D
5'0 --HW 205/SW-199/GW-125/CW-107
Goal Weight MET: 2/11/09!!

Starting BMI between 35 and 40?
Visit the OH
Lightweights Board!

My best friend gave me the best advice
He said each day's a gift and not a given right
Leave no stone unturned, leave your fears behind
And try to take the path less traveled by
That first step you take is the longest stride
Sindarin
on 9/3/08 8:21 am - West Chester, OH
I'm confused...where am I?  Feels like I'm caught in a Star Trek transporter.  Oh, OK...back here!

Hey Andrea, you go girl!  You know you and I are on the same bus about this topic.

Folks, you are your own advocates!  Don't shoot the messenger!  Shoot--I mean educate---your doc if he doesn't know about nutrition.  You could be saving a life other than your own.

Spend the money and buy quality vits.  It's cheaper than a nursing home when you break your hip and develop neurological disorders.  There, that's BLUNT.
Karen
"All we must do is decide what to do with the time given us."--
Gandalf, LOTR
Pam T.
on 9/3/08 9:04 am - Saginaw, MI
I'm coming to this thread late, but since it looks like a thread that will be bookmarked by many and referred back to (havent read the whole thing yet).  I wanted to share this diagram.  It's best for RNY folks to see which part of their intestines have been bypassed (between the red lines), but the overall diagram can also be used by DS folks.  It shows which nutrients are absorbed in which part of the intestines before surgery.  Its helped me understand more about how my body works.

Heres the link to the larger file:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwsammy/2471444310/sizes/o/in/s et-72157605380269874/

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

PhatMom
on 9/3/08 11:26 am
Interesting diagram, thanks for sharing it Pam!

-D
5'0 --HW 205/SW-199/GW-125/CW-107
Goal Weight MET: 2/11/09!!

Starting BMI between 35 and 40?
Visit the OH
Lightweights Board!

My best friend gave me the best advice
He said each day's a gift and not a given right
Leave no stone unturned, leave your fears behind
And try to take the path less traveled by
That first step you take is the longest stride
(deactivated member)
on 9/3/08 9:25 am, edited 9/3/08 9:27 am
Keep in mind Mandy, that there are people out there that have traveled this road, many years ahead of you. Don't hate the messenger, but PLEASE heed the message! Andrea is being blunt, not rude. We're sorry if you want things explained to you gently, maybe you shouldn't read her posts. But I can guarantee you one thing.....vitamin deficiencies and the very serious problems that they cause, will definately not be gentle on your system! We are trying to be upfront and as honest as possible, to all newbies that come here. If your sensitvity is preventing you from really "absorbing" all of the info and guidance, that us old-timers can offer, (even if it's put bluntly...) then thats really your loss. Please, please, please keep an open mind, when someone else has some advise to offer you! They have probably been there, gone through it and bought the t-shirt. I know personally for me, I try and answer as many vitamin questions as I can, cause I've had a little training in it and it's a passion of mine (learning all about nutrition). It's my way of "giving back" to the weight loss community. A way of "paying it forward".  I don't do it to be a "know-it-all" or for any other reason, than to be helpful to someone, who I know is going through, what I've gone through....( It's called being grateful for being able to have this surgery!!) And we all know, how that, was soooo NOT easy! We're trying to help you, and keep you from possibly making some serious mistakes, that we might have made!
 Was Andrea rude?? Absolutely not. Does she care enough about others, to post here and help out the newbies? Yes! I really think you're being a little sensitive......
 I hope this helps you in some way.....
 Hugs!    Lyn