Another WLS patient died here...How common is this?

Lesser Julie
on 7/18/08 11:52 pm - Western, MI
I recently went to a local support group meeting, and one of the topics was the importance of knowing where the Bariatric Centers of Excellence are wherever you are travelling, and going there if you become ill.

My surgeon's office said they wanted to be the first contact for any digestive or abdominal pain problems forever, basically.   They would then be able to advise as to where to go for treatment if I was too far away to come to the hospital with the bariatric wing here in town.  Obviously, sometimes there is no time to make such a call in the midst of an emergency - but always letting friends and family know how to access the phone number of your surgeon and letting them know your hospital preference becomes very important.

You can search for Bariatric Centers of Excellence anywhere in the US by following this link.  http://surgicalreview.org/locate.aspx
Frozen_Peach
on 7/19/08 1:38 am
Julie,
thank you so much for this link - I've bookmarked it for future reference.....I hope everyone spots this link and takes advantage of it!

Thanks again!

MY DS  
 labrats.jpg picture by Frozen_Peach

Get the facts about Duodenal Switch at DS Facts
<~~link
DS Recipes can be shared HERE <~~link

Dave Chambers
on 7/19/08 12:38 am - Mira Loma, CA

Complications from any surgery, not just RNY, can lead to death. RNY surgery is no more dangerous than any other surgical procedure. Mortality from any surgery, including RNY, is 1-2%. So don't freak out. Getting close to any surgery date will make the patient nervous. You also have to remember that overweight patients already have medical issues, and complications from pre-surgery problems can cause future complications.  I got my surgery to reduce the risks of future health issues from obesity.  My only complication, was that the wt. loss lead to some issues with low blood pressure, that were resolved with a pace maker. But I've always had a very slow pulse, so I can't really blame the RNY surgery. I had surgery at 59 years of age, and I handled it fine. This was my very first surgery where I was in an operating room, under general anesthetic. Yes I was nervous, but I had good faith in my surgeon. I did some research on surgeons prior to surgery. I spoke to my surgeons patients in his office and at support groups. I also found out that my surgeon has done over 9000 LAP RNY procedures with only 1 death in 9 years--which made me very comfortable with the surgery.

AS a another note, if the patient you mention had a medical bracelet indicating RNY surgery, this may have helped her situation. Medical bracelets can include any data including your surgeon's office phone number--so that any foreign doctor could consult with your surgeon to resolve any medical issue. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

dragonfly466b
on 7/19/08 12:40 am - GA
Yes, everything you all have said is so true about being aware of your body.  I feel very fortunate that my surgeon is at the Center of Excellence and is one of the top in the country.  I did a TON of research and he is the one I trust with my life (literally). 

You all are right that I need to put things into perspective with WLS and what my life would be like without it.  Right now, it is hell.  Tomorrow, it will still be hell.  The next week....you get the picture.  I know that I need WLS to help extend my life beyond what it is now. 

It is so true that you can never stop learning about this procedure and more ways to take care of yourself after the operation.  I will make sure that I always carry a card with my doctor's name and number of the facility so that family members in a second will know where to take me.

OT....Right now, I am in the process of getting the house cleaned top to bottom in preparation of me going in on Friday.  I have to have the endoscopoy (sp?) done on Tuesday so I know I will lose a couple of days with that.

Blessings to all,
Wendy

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away."  

(deactivated member)
on 7/19/08 2:04 am - Big Sky Country, ID
Kanye West's mom died having plastic surgery.  I read this woman's profile & saw she had about three different plastic surgeries after her WLS.  Any one of these could have led to adhesions or blockage also, so don't be so quick to blame it solely on the RNY.  It's a horrible thing to have happen, but you have to be your own best advocate when it comes to medical care, & make everyone around you know that this could happen at any time.  Many, many people will never encounter this, but make sure a family member can speak for you & tell them what is suspect.  You can't let this hold you back from a life-saving surgery.  The chances of dying from obesity related problems far outweigh the risk.
StarvingArtist
on 7/19/08 2:48 am - In my Studio
Hi Elaina :)

You're absolutely right, the additional plastic surgeries after wls added to the adhesions she has, so who knows if this was the reason for her blockage.

It's sad, but it also points up how we need to be aware of our healthcare and actively involved in finding solutions when we have problems.
Mommy2C
on 7/19/08 2:40 am - NC
Wendy,
((((HUGS)))) to you.....I know exactly how you feel, except my surgery is MONDAY!  I have been freaking out a little before hearing about this, and now I am very nervous.  I think I will have to step away from the computer until I'm home from the hospital!

My fear is not for me, but for my sweet 6yo DD.....she would be lost without me, but I want to be here to see her grow up.  So, it's scary to take this risk, but I feel it's the right thing to do.

Good luck to you, sweetie.  Hang in there and try to remember why you started this process in the first place.  Then you'll know for sure.
Lisa-
FL-Lynda
on 7/19/08 3:11 am
It is my understanding that ANY abdominal surgery raises the risk for intestinal obstruction.  The one part of this that we are at increased risk for is Peterson's Cavity or Peterson's hernia.  That is cause when the extra space--from lost fat--allows the intestines to kink.
Here is a link with some more information:
http://quixoticwls.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4625

Good luck on your surgery
Most Active