Peroxide?

Bionic Jay
on 7/2/08 9:55 am - Moncton, Canada
Is it okay to clean my incisions and around my staples by pouring a little peroxide over them, letting it bubble and then patting it really dry? I had my lap band surgery a week ago.
Jay

steambacker
on 7/2/08 9:58 am - Hull, MA
I would call your doctor's office and ask them before doing it.  I remember after my surgery I was to put NOTHING on my stomach, just rinse with water only.  I would definately check with your surgeon's office first. 
RNY surgery 05/23/07  Starting weight:  310
Right before operation: 279  Current weight:  117 Goal:  150
Loris
on 7/2/08 9:58 am - Midlothian, VA
No, it is much too harsh.  If you are allowed to get your incisions wet, you can wash them with mild soap and le****er gently wash over them.  If you are not allowed to gt them wet, don't put anything on them.  I am glad you had your surgery.  Loris

Loris  344/119@ 5'2" Below Goal                    
                                     Lower body lift  10/17/2007
                                     Upper body lift     1/23/2008

Dx E
on 7/2/08 9:58 am - Northern, MS
Hey Jay!!! Glad to see you on this side of surgery!! Hang in there these first weeks are rough! I'm not sure about the peroxide.... Maybe a little Neosporin? Best Wishes- Dx

Capricious;  Impulsive,  Semi-Predictable       

sage61
on 7/2/08 9:59 am - TX
Hey Jay, I was specifically told to not put anything on them... just wash them with an antibacterial cleanser (provided to me by the hospital), and let them go. Of course, that's just my doc... as you know, they are all different. Good luck!
pkling1955
on 7/2/08 9:59 am - Amberg, WI
Hi Congrats to you!!!  You can first mix 50% water with the peroxide and your good to go.  Dry when done.  Patty
pkling1955
on 7/2/08 10:02 am - Amberg, WI
Hi again the Dr I have had me clean my wounds with the mix of water and peroxide.  Everyone is different. Good luck
bursonc
on 7/2/08 11:38 am
I was told not to do anything to the strips.  Just shower as usual and then pat dry. At about 14 days,  one came off.  I pulled gently!!!! on the others.  Two came off very easily.  I washed w/ soap & water gently.  Left the others alone.  I had to pull one off at day 16.  It was oozing a little.  I washed it and as soon as it got some air it had been needing it did fine.  I left them alone during the day after uncovered, but put a TINY bit of neosporin on them at night.  Did this for about 3 or 4 days after uncovered.  Then they were perfect. My biggest incision (port) is still a little red (29 days out), but it's fine.  Just scar type pinkish colored. 
John Hoffmann
on 7/2/08 11:46 am - Baltimore, MD
Jay, just had to chime in here.  Congrats on finally having your surgery, I know it was a struggle for you getting to this point. My advice to you is to do whatever your surgeon directed you to do about cleaning your incisions.  Every doc is different, and the last thing you want is to get an infection or something.  Just be careful, no sense in complication things. Good luck and be well. John
Most Active