New Fella in GA...hopeful, with lots of questions

Linda_S
on 6/28/08 4:34 am - Eugene, OR
Hey Dan - no, Rutledge doesn't have a lock on the procedure, even if he thinks he does!   I guess I didn't word that right.  Just that I think there are a lot better procedures out there as far as safety.  If Kim hadn't gotten the revision when she did, she surely would have died.  I think the best accepted and best documented for overall safety and effectiveness for keeping the weight off are RNY and DS.  If I had had the option (didn't because of insurance), I think I would have gone for the Duodenal Switch.  It allows you to eat much more normally after surgery and is supposed to be more effective at maintaining the long-term weight loss.  In the end, you will need to decide what is best for you.  If I may, I would suggest you get the book, "Weight Loss Surgery:  A Lighter Look at a Heavy Subject"  It has a bit of lame humor in it, but it is written by a Bariatric Surgeon.  He lays out all of the options, tells you all the pros and cons, risks, highlights, etc.  I found it very helpful before surgery. Wishing you the best for a successful surgery, no matter what you choose. Linda

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

FinallyLosingIt_07
on 6/28/08 10:16 am - Kettleman City, CA

Your pic looks just like John Goodman's character in The Big Lebowski. Good luck in choosing a surgery, it will be worth it now matter what you choose.

Highest weight 360  Day of surgery 289 Current weight 200

BuckeyeSylvia
on 6/27/08 4:01 pm - Small Town, OH
Wow Dan...has anyone ever told you that you look like John Goodman? Or is that just this picture? Anyway... I looked into the MGB briefly too.  I also looked into the band and the GBP.  Ultimately, I chose the dueodenal switch (DS) and have been THRILLED with my post op life.  I would HIGHLY recommend you check out the duodenal switch forum and chat with our "men regulars" like Beam Me Up Scottie, Sean, Rock, etc.  Of course, we ladies are there for help but I think men have a certain bond because you're facing the same challenges. Like you, I was heavy growing up but sports kept my weight in check.  I dieted (and starved) but ultimately, food would always win.  I'm a fast food junkie.  I love fatty foods.  Again...that's why the DS was so great for me...we don't absorb the fat (only 20% of it). The DS also provides a "fully funtioning stomach" which is an advantage as we don't dump and can eat "normal portions". I'm 5 months post op and can eat a McDonald's double cheeseburger and some fries for lunch.  Again, the really cool thing is that the McDonald's meal I just described is no longer "bad" once you have the DS...we need the fat and protein.  It suddenly becomes a good, nutricious meal.  As a matter of fact, a McDonald's double cheeseburger is on my sugeon's list of "Top 5 DS friendly foods". The down side?  You HAVE to commit to vitamin suppliments for the rest of your life as well as biyearly blood draws to check your vitamin levels".  Currently, I take 1 multivitamin, 2 caluciums, 1 A/D, 1 b-complex and a zinc TWICE daily....once in the morning, once at night.  Not too much to sacrafice for the best long term results of any surgery. Some also have frequent BMs and gas.  Let me again say "some".  I don't have either.  Some have both.  My surgeon says it's "totally unnecessary" as if you should be one of those who do have frequent BMs and/or gas, there is a pill a day to cure what ails ya. Finally, let me say that I would HIGHLY recommend you only seeing a surgeon who performs ALL weight loss surgeries (the sleeve, the DS, the band, the MGB and the RNY) to get real, accurate information.  Surgeons who DON'T perform a certain surgery will TALK DOWN that surgery.  After all, why would a Honda dealer tell you that a Ford is your best option? Best of luck in your information journey!

HW/SW/CW/GW    231/225/123/130-125
~Surgeon's Goal of Normal BMI reached at 6 months Post Op~
~Personal Goal Range achieved at less than 10 months Post Op~

Dx E
on 6/27/08 4:18 pm - Northern, MS

Dan, I started out at 385lbs, and lost down to 185lbs in my first year. Been holding there at normal range BMI for nearly 4 years. (including this, because I was about the same size,  and 46 yrs when I had my surgery.) Click on profiles, checkout other website about WLS as well. I just wanted to drop by an Invitation. It’s great to see other men out here. We make up such a small percentage (12%) Of the people having Weight Loss Surgery, But tend to reach our goal weights quicker and with less Or at least Different hassles than the Gals Due to Male physiology. Drop by the Men’s Message Board And check out what other men like you are going through. It’s a diverse make up of Dads, Singles, Older, younger, etc… Pre-Ops, Post-Ops new and some Old (at Goal) Post-Ops. Lap-Banders, RNY’ers DS, etc… Great bunch of guys with the mutual understanding That WLS for Men can be a totally different Journey. Stop by to add your questions, advice, opinions, and info at- http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/men/

It’s Great to know we’re not so alone, And that there are others pulling for you. I lived in Georgia/Atlanta, for over 10 years. Hope to see you ‘Round the Boards! Best Wishes- Dx

Capricious;  Impulsive,  Semi-Predictable       

GwenJ
on 6/27/08 4:57 pm
Hi!  I live about 40 miles from you just across the state line in AL - about 20 miles north of Auburn.  Although you'll have to select the best surgery for your lifestyle, I found that the DS is the only one that even comes close to what I can live with.  It will be the DS or nothing.  However, I have not yet had surgery - working on insurance issues. Make sure you check out the DS board, but also the revision board and see the people that come back later to get revisions to a DS.  One suggestion - check out Dr. Dennis Smith in Marietta.  Per his web site:  "Dr. Smith is one of very few surgeons in the US who performs all four of the major bariatric operations completely laparoscopically."  This includes the DS.  From what I've learned from the experts on this site, he is one of the very best, and he isn't all that far from Columbus.  If I can answer any more questions, just PM me.  Good luck!
EveningStar
on 6/27/08 6:43 pm, edited 6/27/08 6:54 pm - AL

Welcome Dan!

My story, in short: 5'9", starting weight 304 on day of surgery, highest ever between 325 and 340. 3 years post op RNY, still losing!! Down 142 pounds in 3 years, have 18 pounds to go before I start to worry the loss wont stop on its own, no regain as of yet, do not anticipate any but you never know. You have to understand, regain is a reality for alot of us and you can not go into this surgery feeling it will solve everything. It wont. I still have depression but not as severe thanks to therapy and medication adjustment. Ive been obese all my life so it did a number on my head to suddenly realize I didnt know how to handle the changes in appearance and handle the changes in compliments and attention. I do not like attention. not used to it, its scary or it has been for me. I highly reccommend checking out Dr. Bradley Bilton in Tuscaloosa AL. As far as I am concerned he is the best in AL. If intrested, I will PM you his website. I know he does RNY and Lapband, not sure about other procedures but you can always call and ask his office when you decide what you want to do to regain your health. Ive had no complications so far.

Sleep apnea, resolved. High BP resolved. Still have arthritis but not as bad. Degenerative joint disease is starting to act up a little, of all things I have an enlarged collar bone that protrudes and is noticeable. I thought for sure it was thyroid cancer or Non Hodginkins Lymphoma, I never knew I had collarnbones much less enlarged on one side. Im blessed it is arthritis and degenerative joint disease, instead! still have depression although not as severe but I have good days and bad like everyone else. Still have restless leg syndrome and its improved with meds so these were my only co morbodities pre op.

I have the stress of a family, work issues and stress, stress from home, worry over daily things like bills, money, rising costs when your already struggling to stay above water. Food was my only comfort for stress, I took that away when I had surgery, so I was forced to deal with issues I had ignored. Im much stronger for it today but it was rough to endure. I have no regrets whatsoever. I had lost over 100 pounds, previously, not once but twice in my lifetime. It did not stay off because I did not learn behavior modification, or portion control as well as better food choices. When I couldnt loose for the third time, my pcp suggested and started the process for me to have surgery. Im 49 years old and wish I had knew of this 20 years ago. Id do it again, in a heartbeat. Im now starting to enjoy life again because I do have improved health. I choose the RNY because I knew going in I needed restriction, I needed to be forced into complying and learning to change my behavior. It has given me that. Best wishes. Sandy

goodkel
on 6/27/08 6:58 pm
Hi Dan and welcome! If you want the surgery with the best results as for as excess weight loss and excess weight lost long term, you should really research the DS (duodenal switch).  The complication and mortality statistics are the same as other surgeries and it offers you the best chance of taking the weight off AND keeping it off. Check out the DS forum here. Lots of smart, thin people over there: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/a,messageboard/board_id ,5357/ Best of luck on your journey! Kelly
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

reoman
on 6/27/08 9:08 pm - MO
All I can say is research the heck out of it then go with what you think is best. I chose RNY because its the gold standard that all others are measured against. Plus my ins company covered it in network at a close hospital. Good luck with your journey!
(deactivated member)
on 6/27/08 9:54 pm - TX
Hi Dan.  I wanted to welcome you and wish you the best of luck.  I'd urge you to go to the revision board and read and see how many people post needing revisions.  You'll find lapband and RNY patients there but rarely, if ever, a DS patient.  I know what I speak of, as I'm a revision from RNY mechanical failure.  It just  happens too often.  If I'd only known back in 94 when I had my RNY............and had the internet to research of course, I'd had gotten the DS back then.  Oh well..the important thing is, I did have my revision in 06 and have been stable for around 9 months now and you wouldn't believe the incredible post op life I lead, including eating tremendously well.  No more dumping, food getting "stuck" or vomiting for me. http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/ think twice, cut once.
Beam me up Scottie
on 6/28/08 2:16 am
Congrats on seeing weight loss surgery...but as for the MGB...run for you life.   I literally mean your life.  The few people that I've met on OH that had the MGB have had MAJOR issues.  The biggest one is that there is really was only one doctor in the whole country who performed it, and when you needed a revision you had to "sneak" around because this doctors patients were more loyal to him then the nazis party was to hitler. As for insurance covering it, no insurance company that I know of covers it because it is a dangerous surgery. You are better off with the RNY (god did I just say that?) if you want to get a frankenstein procedure done on yourself.   I mean whats not to love they cut you open, and give you a fake pouch, where you have a little man made opening that will stretch out over time and allow you to regain all your weight like al roker or randy jackson or carnie wilson.   Or you could just get the band...which will eventually ahve to be removed because it gets lodged in your liver, or just breaks down your stomach tissue, or at the least, you don't lose any weight and have to have a revision anyway. The best surgery currently available for those that are MO is the duodenal switch.   If you are unsure about a malabsorbtive surgery go for the verticle sleeve gastrectomy....but defintely stay away from the MGB. Scott
Most Active