New Fella in GA...hopeful, with lots of questions

gr8tfuldad
on 6/27/08 1:57 pm, edited 6/27/08 4:57 pm - Columbus, GA
Hello all from Georgia! I was so glad to come across this site, I am finding real, first-hand experience and information here, and not the marketing fluff you sometimes find when someone has a ve$ted intere$t in convincing you that their way is best. My story in 100 words or less: Grew up heavy, but very athletic.  Sports kept the weight down, until my early 20's. Started putting on the pounds, but stablilized with lots of workouts at about 250. Got married, job stress, kids, and I was at 325. Hip replacement at 45, and now I'm 46 years old, 6'1" and 370 pounds. I feel tired all the time, batlle with some sadness, and wish I could play soccer with my kids and ride bikes and have fun with life again. I saw Gil Gerard's story on Discovery Health about the MGB.  It seemed amazing the way he got his vitality and joy for life back as he progressed, since I'm built alot like he was prior to his surgery. I'm very much still in the information gathering stages, want to consider pros & cons of all approaches (including NOT having surgery), but INCLINED toward the mini gastric bypass *IF* I can get it covered on insurance. I am seeking a surgeon in GA or AL, but am willing if need be to head over to NC and have it done by Dr. Walsh & Co. I thank all of you for a great forum of sharing, support and information, and hope to contribute as I learn.  PLEASE, provide me with comments, concerns and feedback as I learn, and I'll try to do the same! Dan aka Gr8tfuldad
What ever happened to...
        Of the people, by the people, for the people?
                    Google Search: Ron Paul

nnnancy
on 6/27/08 2:00 pm - Peyton, CO
Welcome, Dan! I had a lap-band converted to an MGB; my surgeon calls it a "simplified" gastric bypass, as Dr. R. has a patent on the "MGB" title. Good luck with your research!!

Nancy

MsBatt
on 6/27/08 2:09 pm

Frankly, the MGB scares me. The two people I know here on OH who had it, had some real problems and wound up having revisions. (There may be countless others I DON'T know---but I can't speak about them.)

I DO strongly encourage you to research ALL the available forms of WLS before making your decision. For ME, once I learned about the DS (duodenal switch), it was a no-brainer. Check out the DS board here at OH, or visit www.duodenalswitch.com ---you might just decide it's the right choice for you, too.

jillianD
on 6/27/08 2:40 pm - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
I'm glad you are hear posting and reaserching your options.  I hope you find everything you need here.
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Cindy O.
on 6/27/08 2:46 pm, edited 6/27/08 2:52 pm - Bryan, TX
Surgery for weight loss is a very personal journey.  You are right to gather information and opinions. Remember what you get here is heavily on the opinion.. I am Bariatric Surgery Program Director at my hospital.  None of our 4 surgeons perform the MGB and have indicated they do not support the long term success data from that surgery. The gold standard for surgical weight loss is the RnY gastric bypass.  It is both restrictive (very small stomach pouch) and malabsorptive (100-150cm small bowel is bypassed leaving the digestion and absorption of food and nutrients to happen in an area of the bowel where normally this wouldn't be taking place. There are other procedures, such as the Duodenal Switch that provide significant weight loss.  It is also restrictive and malabsorptive.  The stomach is reduced in size and retains the pyloric valve which is good in certain cases.  The intestinal re-routing occurs lower in the bowel system.  There is a plethora of documented peer reviewed research data available on the net about both of these surgeries as well as others such as AGB (adjustable gastric banding) and VSG (vertical gastric sleeve) Most importantly, your surgeon should NOT** be trying to convince you that his way is best.  Your surgeon should be the one you can go to and get  the full monty on all bariatric surgical procedures, even ones he/she does not perform. Good luck, do your homework and pick the surgery that will most suit your lifestyle and you will be successful. Cindy eta:  NOT**
magnet

I do not give medical advice.  I offer my opinion, nothing more. 
Linda_S
on 6/27/08 2:48 pm - Eugene, OR
The mini can be a very dangerous surgery.  I have a friend here on OH, who lives up in Portland, who had the mini gastric bypass done with Dr. Rutledge last year.  She lost so much weight she was nothing but skin and bones.  No matter how much she ate, she kept losing and could not keep weight on.  She began passing out and needed to have a revision to regain her health.  Dr. Rutledge was not good at even transferring her medical records so the new doctor could do the revision.  I'd stay away from that surgery. Linda

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

SouthernAngel
on 6/27/08 3:13 pm - TN

Welcome to the OH family.  You will find lots of information here.  I have my first consult on July 1 and love all the information I find here.

btw.  You look like John Goodman in your picture.

GoingMobile
on 6/27/08 3:52 pm - San Dimas, CA
Dan, read about all your options before deciding, there are many choices and not any one surgery is the best for everyone. When you got some time come over to the MENS board and say hey to the guys, a lil ifferent that the main board http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/men/
butterflygirl85
on 6/27/08 3:53 pm - IN
Hi, Welcome to the boards. I'm also pre op & have found alot of useful information here at OH. As I'm sure you already know, do your research on every surgery, talk to your Dr. & pick the one that is best for you as an individual. I'd go ahead & call the insurance company to see what your coverage is, which surgeries are covered, & what they require for approval. With that info., you're ahead of the game & can make sure every t is crossed & every i is dotted when you submit for approval or what you'll be facing if not covered & have to self pay. When doing your research be open minded about each surgery. It's a personal choice that each of us have to make based on what's right for us. Best of luck to you on your journey. Health & Happiness- Jill

Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, love passionately, laugh insanely, & forgive quickly.

Health & Happiness,     Jill  butterfly 

gr8tfuldad
on 6/27/08 4:28 pm - Columbus, GA
Thanks to all for your replies, welcomes, and even the warnings! Coupla things; I had no idea Dr. Rutledge had a lock on the "MGB" (by name) in the form of a patent! No wonder if it doesn't involve him, you can't FIND it very easily on the web! Rutledge is not even on the radar for me; he may be a pioneer (although I think some history shows it to be a revival of some old "Loop" procedure), he's also obviously rather impressed with himself. Also, because he's not on the radar, no trouble re: getting records forwarded, etc.  That will be a question settled LONG before I go under the knife. And I've been told I'd win a John Goodman lookalike contest any day.  It's why I chose that pic! Thanks and appreciation all 'round! Dan
What ever happened to...
        Of the people, by the people, for the people?
                    Google Search: Ron Paul

Most Active