NOBODY SAID THE DOWNS OF SURGERY!!

(deactivated member)
on 5/15/08 11:13 pm - River Falls, WI

I'm sorry you seemed to have missed the many many posts here that definitely talk about the down side of WLS. It's not at all unusual to have a lot of pain and to be depressed--it really whacks the hormones.  Any type of major surgery would still be difficult to deal with just a few days after surgery for almost every one.  And if your pain threshold has never really been tested (yes, I know childbirth is extremely painful but it's for a relatively short time), it' can be pretty shocking to find out yu can feel so horrible.

But I'm more concerned that perhaps your surgeon's office did not help you prepare emotionally for the discomfort after surgery.  Of all people, they should do that for all their patients.

Certainly your burden is increased by having the responsibility of young children to care for and wanting to hold and love and care for them.  BUt what if you'd been in a terrible accident or had some other disease for which you needed surgery and were in pain.  Would you be doubting yourself then? Maybe you would, but please don't start second guessing yourself now, it will not change things. 

Physically you will start to feel better day by day, but very slowly at first. You truly need to put your energy into that healing process.  Walking often throughout the day really does help promote healing and helps manage pain far better than sitting or lying. You do need to drink plenty of fluids too, even though you may only be able to sip them. Dehydration is a very real risk and contributes to slower healing and making you feel far worse physically--ahnd it can be very dangerous.

Yes, this is hard and unpleasant and no one can truly prepare you for its reality even if it was discussed. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Ann

TX1961
on 5/15/08 11:34 pm - NEAR WICHITA FALLS, TX
I haven't  had gastric surgery yet. My consult is May 23. I thought the same ( what have I done) when I had a 360* spinal fusion (cut front and back) last year and it did hurt like h***. Im  sure this isn't going to be a picnic either, but I would rather go through a couple of days/weeks of pain than a lifetime of being miserable. Hang in there. It WILL get better.
phattypatti
on 5/16/08 12:12 am - rochester, NH
OMG you sound JUST like me when i was 3-7 days out, i totally feel for you. I felt like i made a major wrong decision....just know that it does get better, start walking a bit , believe it or not it does help with the healing process....Good luck girl if you want to talk get a hold of me, i had all those same EXACT feelings post op..now im almost 5 weeks out and i wouldnt change a thing...and i didnt think i would feel that way

georgiapeach74
on 5/16/08 12:55 am - dallas, GA
Hey Jolene, Sorry your feeling so bad!! The pain may be gas pain. I also had Dr. Hobson do my surgery. With the exception of the gas pain  I have had no other problems. I would give Dr Hobson a call if you dont feel better soon. Try some of the things everyone else has posted like gas ex or a heating pad. I am 4 weeks out  today and am feeling mostly back to normal. It is normal to have thoughts of regret. It is a huge life change but give yourself some time to heal. I understand how hard it is to watch others eat in front of you. I was back to making meals for my family at 4 days out. Just sip some soup or tea and enjoy the company. I hope you get to feeling better soon!! Alyssa
MyLady Heidi
on 5/16/08 1:04 am
All surgery hurts, ever have your gallbladder out, there is no reward with that surgery just the end to the unrelenting pain you suffer before they finally remove it.  Sorry to say this but its time to buck up and stop feeling sorry for yourself.  Surgery hurts, NO one said it didn't but you have to walk and move around and take the pain meds if you need to and stay positive and optomistic, if you are having such serious pain you cannot breath they you have something wrong and need to seek medical attention.  The good the bad and the ugly are posted on these boards everyday.  You had surgery to save your life, did you not, now its time to make the best of it.  Who cares what other people eat, are they supposed to stop living because you got fat and needed surgery, NO.  You did this to yourself now you need to get yourself out of it.  Yup tough love, sorry but its really the only way, crying about not eating is not doing anything to make you feel better, seeking help if you can't cope is the best medicine.  I never for one day regretted having wls, walked out of the hospital off my diabetes meds and lost nearly 150lbs, I am a size 6, something I wasn't since I was age six.  It has tremendous rewards but you have to realize its going to entail some pain and sacrifice, nothing is life is pain free, nothing. Good Luck Hugs Heidi
gonnadoit
on 5/16/08 1:11 am - MI
You are still fresh out of surgery.  I'm sure you didn't mean to imply that you didn't do your homework.  If you read the boards here, there are people who have lots of issues, no issues and somewhere in between.   I think it's safe to say that most of us have felt that 'surgery remorse' one time or another.  Don't despair, the pain will lessen, and you will move on to the next stage... "What the heck can I eat?"  Eventually, it will all be second nature. I'm only 5 months out.  I didn't have much pain from the surgery (fortunately).  The only thing I have dealt with thus far is getting 3 scope and dilations to fix a stricture. Best wishes, Kris
Valerie G.
on 5/16/08 1:54 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
This is very common, but if it's still happening next week, call your doc because post-op depression is treatable....but only if you ask for help.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 5/16/08 2:02 am - Eastern, PA
On May 15, 2008 at 10:32 PM Pacific Time, jolene22 wrote:
I HAD MY SURGERY ON MAY THE 12 TH AND THE PAIN IS KILLING ME..IT HURTS ME TO BREATHE ,I CANT EVEN RELAX..THE PAIN MEDICINE AINT WORKING AND I AM JUST DEPRESSED...I FEEL LIKE I MADE A HUGE MISTAKE.I FEEL LIKE I WOULD BE HAPPIER FAT THAN LIKE THIS...MY KIDS OF AGE 2 AND 1 I CANT EVEN HOLD OR HAVE SIT NEXT TO ME...I CRY AND I CRY BECAUSE I NEVER EXSPECTED TO HURT THIS BAD AND BE THIS DEPRESSED..EVEYONE ALWAYS TALK BOUT THE GOOD OF THE SURGERY BUT NEVER WARN U BOUT THE BAD THINGS...I AM SCARED TO DEATH OF HOW MY LIFE IS GOING TO BE NOW..I EVEN HEARD THAT LATER DOWN THE ROAD I WILL HAVE TO DRINK THAT NASTY DRAINAGE TEST STUFF...I CANT SEE THE UPSIDE IN THINGS..I AM SICK OF FEELING HORRIBLE AND CRYING...I AM TIRED OF WATCHING EVERYONE EAT IN FRONT OF ME AND I JUST THINK I WILL REGRET THIS DISCISION THE REST OF MY LIFE......I AM UNHAPPY AND DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO....IS IT GONNA STAY HARD OR GET BETTER.....MY KIDS SHOULD NOT HAVE TO WATCH ME GO THROUGH THIS....WHEN IF EVER WILL IT GET EASIER...
The physical pain you're feeling isn't uncommon, and it will get better! If you continue to be depressed for several weeks, you should talk to a doctor about looking into treatment for that. And there have been plenty of posts about people having negative effects from surgery; don't kid yourself. And people will continue to eat in front of you forever - it's time to come to grips with that. I wish you nothing but the best of luck!
sandyfeets
on 5/16/08 6:57 am - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 12/20/05 with

Let's see...

You gave birth to two children.

You have tatoos all over.

YOU DO know what pain is.  

YOU should have known from your pre-op literature that this is MAJOR surgery and that there is pain involved.

I think you may have missed some key info, or you chose to gloss over that part of your surgeon's pre-op info or seminars.

I see you only joined OH two days before your surgery.... too bad you didn't take that time to read the boards of post-ops talking of the pains they have had.

THIS is not a walk in the park.  THIS is life changing.  Anything worth it is worth going through some pain.

You have buyer's remorse and some post-op depression going on.

Time to suck it up and get moving.  The more you move about, the sooner the gas pains and muscle pains are going to go away.  BUT if you are in THAT much pain, call your surgeon. 

PS---qui****ching people eat.  Do something else, like go for a walk or read a book to your children... SOMETHING besides wallowing in your self induced pity party.

For those that read this and think this is harsh.... tough.  She's an adult and she signed on the dotted line just like you and I did.  NO ONE held a gun to her head and said do this.  She did this on her own free will.   

JaneSweetz
on 5/16/08 7:21 am
The downs of surgery are actually everywhere, Hope you feel better soon.
Most Active