NOBODY SAID THE DOWNS OF SURGERY!!

jolene22
on 5/15/08 3:32 pm - GA
I HAD MY SURGERY ON MAY THE 12 TH AND THE PAIN IS KILLING ME..IT HURTS ME TO BREATHE ,I CANT EVEN RELAX..THE PAIN MEDICINE AINT WORKING AND I AM JUST DEPRESSED...I FEEL LIKE I MADE A HUGE MISTAKE.I FEEL LIKE I WOULD BE HAPPIER FAT THAN LIKE THIS...MY KIDS OF AGE 2 AND 1 I CANT EVEN HOLD OR HAVE SIT NEXT TO ME...I CRY AND I CRY BECAUSE I NEVER EXSPECTED TO HURT THIS BAD AND BE THIS DEPRESSED..EVEYONE ALWAYS TALK BOUT THE GOOD OF THE SURGERY BUT NEVER WARN U BOUT THE BAD THINGS...I AM SCARED TO DEATH OF HOW MY LIFE IS GOING TO BE NOW..I EVEN HEARD THAT LATER DOWN THE ROAD I WILL HAVE TO DRINK THAT NASTY DRAINAGE TEST STUFF...I CANT SEE THE UPSIDE IN THINGS..I AM SICK OF FEELING HORRIBLE AND CRYING...I AM TIRED OF WATCHING EVERYONE EAT IN FRONT OF ME AND I JUST THINK I WILL REGRET THIS DISCISION THE REST OF MY LIFE......I AM UNHAPPY AND DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO....IS IT GONNA STAY HARD OR GET BETTER.....MY KIDS SHOULD NOT HAVE TO WATCH ME GO THROUGH THIS....WHEN IF EVER WILL IT GET EASIER...
Becka_Marie
on 5/15/08 3:40 pm - Wahiawa, HI
Honey you are only 3 days out, you just had MAJOR surgery, your if you had RNY then your insides were rerouted, of course your going to be in pain, If the pain med isnt working then call and ask something different. It gets better but your body just went through a major trauma so you need time to heal. Alot of us go through buyers remorse in the early days but keep your chin up it does get better. You have to give it time.
Becka
230/125/120

Eggface
on 5/15/08 3:45 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Hey Jolene, Welcome to the "what the heck did I do to my body???" stage  it's completely normal and will pass I promise! Remember there is a ton of anesthesia and drugs in your system, hormones going crazy, most of us get our periods right after, shock of eating like a newborn baby. This all equal the blues for a bit (((Hugs))) it doesn't last long. In a few weeks you will be feeling and looking great! Cut yourself some slack you just had your intestines rearranged and stomach severed three days ago... you can't be thinking you are going to feel good that quick.  They give us some good drugs but not THAT good. It truly took me about 7 weeks till I felt "normal" and not like a patient. Now I feel AWESOME and you will too!! Breath and take it one day at a time. It will get better and then it will be GREAT! ~Michelle

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Dx E
on 5/15/08 3:49 pm - Northern, MS
So Sorry you’re having a hard time- How about trying some non-med help with the pain. Heating pad on the back helps some, As does walking. Alot of the pain that folks feel early on is the result of trapped gas. For that "trapped Gas?" A little trick from my Dr. --Lay on your left side with your knees slightly bent. A pillow between your knees. In this position, because the way our intestines are arranged, Gravity will aid the natural peristalsis of the intestines And the "Trapped Gas" will "Pass on Through" much quicker. When you can, Walk. The motion of walking also helps greatly. That and Gas-X were Great for me. That seems to help many people with just that problem.…" Hope you’re doing better soon! Only 3 days since surgery? Oh Yeah! This is the worst part. Give your doc a call first thing in the morning. Post-Op depression is also quite common And your doc can write a prescription For something to get you past the rough part. Hang in there, It Does Get easier. Best Wishes- Dx
Kristie T.
on 5/15/08 4:00 pm - Hamilton, AL
what your going thru is completely normal feelings, the previous posters response was all in them some I really have nothing supportive to add other than make sure your up and moving and using the spirometer (if you were sent home w/one, if not do deep breathing) I was re-hospitalized for pneumonia so when you said it hurt you to breathe I just wanted to add, if you experience shortness of breath get to the ER Immediately.
anewbecboo
on 5/15/08 4:02 pm - Ellensburg, WA

Awwww sweetie, what you are going through is totally normal! Like the others said, you just went through major surgery 3 days ago and it takes time for your body to adjust! You might need to change your pain meds and find something that will work! If the pain is gas pains, the more you walk it off the better and quicker it will disipate!!  Please do be careful with the lifting of your babies. I know how hard it is, but the risk of hernias is high right after surgery if you lift or bend wrong. My daughters were 2 and 5 when I had my first hernia repair and it was soooo hard not to lift!! Do you have someone there to help you?  I promise you will lose the "what have I done to myself" attitude and start loving what you have done for yourself!!  ((((((((((((Jolene)))))))))))))) hang in there sweetie!!  May God bless your journey!         hugs, Becky

Surgery was RNY 5/21/07...I can be found on Facebook: anewbecboo or Becky Reddick 

ginawins
on 5/15/08 4:10 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Hi Jolene, I am sorry you feel so bad BUT... this will be over sooner than later.  Remember every single day that goes by the better you will feel.  It is so... important to pick yourself up and have a really positive attitude it will aid in your healing.  You can and will do this.  It may be hard to see today but in a few days the lbs. will start dropping, you will feel physically stonger and more stable.  Hang in there and PM me your phone number if you think a good talk might help.  Here if you need it.  Give us an update tomorrow, I'll bet you feel much better in the AM.  Gina : )

welcome_to_the_weteos.jpg image by CCRHdirty_birdie_sm.gif picture by CCRHqueen_bee_gina_small.gif picture by CCRH

Simcat78
on 5/15/08 4:44 pm - Belfair, WA
On my 4th day out of surgery I thought the same thing (it was the day I got to come home) and I thought I couldn't bear it if it was going to be like that.  The very next day the gas was gone, which was most of my pain, and the nausea was mostly gone and I felt great.  A few weeks of not being able to pick up your kids will feel like nothing when you are running behind their bikes while teaching them to ride or teaching them to swim, or play soccer or basketball instead of standing on the sidelines eating a corndog.  That's what put it in perspective for me.  Just make yourself get through the next few days and then you will feel SO much better.  Take care!

flyladybugfly
on 5/15/08 4:58 pm - Iron Station, NC
Hey Jolene!  Like the others have said it takes time.  I had my surgery on April 30 and I thought the same as you "What in the world have I done".  But I promise it does get better, way better!  When you start to drop those first few pounds like you never have before and you get energy that you haven't felt in years, you will understand it all better.  I also have children and they are the main reason I had the surgery.  I knew if I didn't do something I wasn't going to be around to watch them grow up!  Believe me your babies will be fine, and when their Mommy can be all that you want to be for them physically, they will understand why you went through what you did.  I will keep you in my prayers and if you need someone to vent to, I'm just a few keystrokes away.  
Yelena K.
on 5/15/08 5:12 pm - Plymouth, MN
I got my surgery May 13th.... I am in a lot of pain  --- especially the gas pain. I too was thinking "What have I done? Man I regret this!" But you know what? I hear people feel that way.... you just have to get through it. Go to your doctor and explain that the pain meds are not working. Ask for something stronger. And besides that.... I know it's hard to do.... VERY hard.... but it'll be  worth  it. It will. Believe it.  Your kids will get a healthier happier new and  improved mommy.

2019: 11 years out and maintaining a loss of 150lbs.

Follow me:

www.morethanmyweight.com

www.facebook.com/morethanmyweight

www.youtube.com/morethanmyweight

Most Active