Fellow Weight loss Surgery member upset.

jade J.
on 5/11/08 2:37 am - NJ
lmao SO TRUE . Dont worry about it, Mrs. Roper and her friends will hunt her down and spoon feed her.
Jade

jade J.
on 5/11/08 2:40 am - NJ
psst, by the way they cant eat up to 4,000 calories a day, they will gain, shh dont tell then, THEY LIKE OTHERS TO BELIEVE THAT.
Jade

LeaAnn
on 5/10/08 2:44 pm - Huntsville, AL

I MY DS!!

(Duodenal Switch WLS)                                  CLICK HERE for the OH DS Forum.

Duodenal Switch

The Duodenal Switch procedure (also called vertical gastrectomy with duodenal switch, biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch, gastric reduction duodenal switch, DS, BPD-DS, or GR-DS) is an operation that is performed by only a minority of bariatric surgeons. It generates weight loss by restricting the amount of food that can be eaten through a reduction in stomach size, by limiting the amount of food that is absorbed into the body through a re-routing of the intestines, and by a metabolic effect induced by manipulating intestinal hormones as a result of intestinal re-routing. It is a more involved procedure because it has a significant component of malabsorption and metabolic effect - achieved by the intestinal bypass effect of the duodenal switch component of the operation - which acts to augment and maintain long-term weight loss. The overall effect is that patients are able to engage in fairly normal, free eating, while having the benefit of taking on the metabolism of a lean individual.

A The stomach is trimmed to a 3-4 ounce volume, preserving its natural inlet and outlet ( the pylorus). Trimming the stomach results in a temporary restrictive effect on eating for several months, which then reverts to normal, and decreases the incidence of ulcer formation as well.
B The small intestine that the stomach normally empties into (the duodenum) is "switched" to the downstream portion of the small intestine (the digestive limb-D). The outflow from the duodenum, carrying the digestive juices and enzymes (but no food) becomes the bilio-pancreatic limb (C) utilizing approximately 60% of the small intestines length.
D The digestive limb takes up approximately 40% of the small bowel length, and most of this length is upstream from where the biliopancreatic limb deposits its juices to allow for the absorption of fats, starches, and complex carbohydrates.
E The common limb, being the portion of intestine where both food and biliopancreatic outflow meet, is made up of the most downstream 100 cm of small intestine and is the only portion where absorption of dietary starches, fats, and complex carbohydrates occurs. The capacity for absorption reaches a maximum within several months after surgery and cannot be over eaten, resulting in long term sustained weight loss..
F The gallbladder and appendix are removed.

To view an animation of this procedure click here. (This will require the use of Macromedia Flash Player. You can download it here.)

Duodenal Switch: How it works:

Restriction (Vertical/Sleeve Gastrectomy): The stomach is restricted in size removing the vast majority of its volume. This is done by cutting away the left-hand side of the stomach in an up-and-down fashion. This reduces the stomach down from a 1-2 quart bag to a long skinny tube. This part of the procedure is not reversible; once this part of the stomach is removed from the body, it is gone forever. The stomach that remains measures from 3 to 4 oz. (90-120cc) in size. There are other aspects of how this portion of the Duodenal Switch procedure works to create restriction, which can be found in the description of the Vertical/Sleeve Gastrectomy procedure. The amount of restriction that patients experience changes with time. This is a process known as pouch maturation, and it is a process that is, for the most part, complete at 9-12 months after surgery. The stomach seems very small immediately after surgery - which helps to jump start weight loss - and stretches out to the point that patients report being able to eat only one-half to two-thirds the amount of food that they were able to eat prior to surgery. Since the stomach basically functions like a normal stomach, but only significantly smaller, patients are able to eat a wide variety of normal foods. With this configuration, it has been my observation that patients are able to follow the diet that has the best of all possible cir****tances: they are able to control their intake while, at the same time, limit their intake to the healthiest of foods. Unlike Gastric Bypass, patients with this procedure are generally able to eat beef, steak, pork, stew meat, and other dense proteins without difficulty. These sources of protein are among the healthiest of protein sources, and this anatomic configuration allows patients the freedom to engage in the healthiest of eating habits. I say "allows", for with freedom comes responsibility, and the freedom to engage in free-eating needs to be accompanied by a devotion to eat in the healthiest way that our bodies allow. In essence, one has the ability to have dietary restriction in a way that allows for healthy eating in a way that they can realistically live with long-term.

Malabsorption (Duodenal Switch, Common Limb Effect): The intestines are divided and rearranged to separate food from the digestive juices, therefore creating malabsorption. The part of intestine that carries food - the food or alimentary limb - is attached to the duodenum and receives food from the stomach. The food limb is less than half the length of the total amount of intestine in the body, and consists of the downstream part of the intestine. This part of the intestine reacts differently to food than the upstream part of the intestine, which is bypassed. The bypassed part of the intestine carries digestive juices from the liver and the pancreas, but no food. This bypassed part of the intestine - which consists of over half of the length of the total intestines - joins up with the food limb for only the last 75-100cm (about 3 feet) of intestine known as the common limb. This common limb is the only part of the body that is capable of absorbing complex carbohydrates, starches, and fats. Since the patient's body is absorbing nutrients over only 40% or so of the total intestinal length, the patient's body works to be as efficient as possible in absorbing nutrients. As efficient as the human body can be, however, there is only so many calories that can be absorbed through a 75-100cm length of intestine. The excess of ingested fats and starches - which cannot be absorbed - are excreted from the body and passed in the stool. With appropriate eating, most patients have anywhere from 2-4 bowel movements per day. With increased intake of indigestible starches and fats, patients can have may more bowel movements per day.

Metabolic Effect: In addition to the effect of dietary restriction and malabsorption, Duodenal Switch has a metabolic effect to affect weight loss and improvement in health as well. The portion that food passes through - the alimentary limb - has the ability to absorb protein and sugars. This portion of intestine also has the ability to secrete a hormone - GLP-1, or Enteroglucagon - in the presence of undigested food. Since this portion of intestine is presented to undigested food earlier on as a result of the anatomic re-arrangement induced by Duodenal Switch, secretion of GLP-1 is enhanced. Enteroglucogan (GLP-1) has the effect of suppressing the secretion of insulin in response to a carbohydrate meal, resulting in a lesser amount of ingested carbohydrates being converted to body fat. The portion of intestine that is bypassed holds an important role as well. Enterogastrone is a hormone that is secreted by the upstream small intestine when food passes through it. This hormone has the effect of converting food to fat. When the upstream portion of the intestine is bypassed - as is the case with Duodenal Switch - enterogastrone secretion is suppressed. The effect of this bypass is that the patient's body after Duodenal Switch has less of a tendency to convert food to fat.

A simplified way to explain the sum of these metabolic effects is that the patient after Duodenal Switch takes on the metabolism of a lean individual. We all know people who are able to eat large amounts of food, and yet are able to maintain a lean physique. These people have a metabolism that tolerates a sizeable caloric intake without resulting in obesity, yet their bodies are able to maintain normal protein levels and keep from becoming malnourished. Patients undergoing Duodenal Switch are able, for the most part, to eat normal amounts of food, but they must eat healthy foods if they are to keep from becoming malnourished. Duodenal Switch patients can't eat junk food all day and expect to remain healthy; with the freedom they have in eating freely, they must exercise responsibility in order to keep from becoming malnourished. Most patients after Duodenal Switch take in anywhere from 80 to 100grams of protein in their diet each day in order to remain healthy. You can't get this level of high quality of protein eating junk all day, but if one chooses to after Duodenal Switch, they can, due to the relatively ability to eat freely.

Mary_J
on 5/10/08 1:06 pm
I'm lost as to the purpose of posting this?  Some hidden agenda of your own?  It appears no body else is fired up about it!

5' 5" -  317.5 / 132 / 134  SW / CW / GW

Renee S.
on 5/10/08 1:09 pm - PA
No hidden agenda.I'm not all fired up.I just don't want anyone to think that they can't post certain places on OH based on surgery type.

Renee S

(deactivated member)
on 5/10/08 1:22 pm - Horsham, PA
Post Date: 5/10/08 8:09 pm
No hidden agenda.I'm not all fired up.I just don't want anyone to think that they can't post certain places on OH based on surgery type. If this is so you should have replied with this on the  original post on the DS board. Why bring it here? And yes there are few DS'ers on the main board , not all of us brag  about eating another generalised statement and misconception
Frozen_Peach
on 5/10/08 1:19 pm

This board seems pretty active and I don't think anyone thinks they can't post here.  With that said, the RIGHT thing to do is delete this thread entirely. 

Otherwise, you prove what I believe to be true:  You just want to stir up drama.

MY DS  
 labrats.jpg picture by Frozen_Peach

Get the facts about Duodenal Switch at DS Facts
<~~link
DS Recipes can be shared HERE <~~link

Renee S.
on 5/10/08 1:23 pm - PA

Peach,

No i'm not looking for drama.Some people are just missing my point .Sorry If I offended you or any one else.Good luck on you surgery have a speedy recovery.

Take care,

Renee S

LeaAnn
on 5/10/08 3:13 pm - Huntsville, AL
SSSSssssssssssshhhh!  These drama threads are excellent advertisement for the DS!  Leave it up!  People will read this and think, "What's a DS?!"
PinkFlamingoes
on 5/10/08 1:24 pm - Buckley, WA
Renee , I don't understand why you would want to go to the DS board . I wouldn't hang out there any more than I would on the Mens board . I just have no reason to be there . I have dozens of other boards I could go to , where I might have something to contribute . I have nothing valuable to offer the DS board , so why go there ? I see no useful purpose . Kathy

Most Active