Water Retention(please help)!!

BroDiamond
on 4/30/08 8:22 am - New Haven, CT
How do you guys handle this situation??? 

I was thinking about taking a diuretic will this help me???
foobear
on 4/30/08 8:34 am - Medford, MA
How much water retention are you talking about, and where are you noticing it? /Steve
BroDiamond
on 4/30/08 8:39 am - New Haven, CT
Stomach area (serious)!
foobear
on 4/30/08 8:47 am - Medford, MA
And how much weight have you gained from this? Men don't have a TOM, so they aren't prone to monthly periods of water retention.  Still, in someone otherwise healthy, if you've increased your salt intake or change your diet, it's possible to gain a bit of water weight. If you've noticed swelling in your stomach area, I'd have it checked out by your doctor.  It might not be a case of simple water retention at all; at least, it's impossible to say from here, and I don't think it's a good idea to try to treat yourself with a diuretic or anything else for that matter.  You need to see a medical professional in person who can get to the bottom of this. Good luck! /Steve
(deactivated member)
on 4/30/08 8:52 am - Decatur, AL
are you sure it's just fluid retention? i experienced something similar earlier this year and when i had exploratory laparoscopy on valentine's day it was determined to be caused my a LOT of abdominal adhesions as well as some endometriosis. here's a link to where i blogged about it. actually, if you go back through my blogs from about the beginning of december until valentine's day you can read the entire saga.

now, i'm not saying that this is what's wrong with YOU. i'm just saying that there are so many other possibilities so please don't just assume that it's only fluid retention. (obstruction also pops into my mind...)
Shelly S.
on 4/30/08 8:47 am - Stillwater, OK
VSG on 12/13/12
I have to take diuretic's pretty often. They help me tremendously! I usually have swelling in my stomach and fingers. Just stay close to the bathroom! Sometimes they make me go every 10-15 minutes for the first couple hours after taking them.

Shelly

Amber M.
on 4/30/08 9:09 am - Chico, CA
I think the best way to battle water retention is to drink more water.

*37 pounds lost pre-op*
Pennie P.
on 4/30/08 10:45 am - Suwanee, Ga

My Doc many yrs ago told mr to drink hot lemon water it really works well

Dx E
on 4/30/08 1:33 pm - Northern, MS

Derrick, Yo Bro! How ya doin?!?! Haven’t seen you in a while. Water retention? Check with your doc, and in the meantime Try some Natural Diuretics added to your dietary intake- Asparagus contains a chemical alkaloid that boosts kidney performance, thereby improving waste removal from the body. Beets are natural diuretic foods that attack floating body fats and fatty deposits. Oats contain silica - a natural diuretic. Cabbage is known to aid breakage of fatty deposits, especially around the abdominal region. Carrots are a rich source of carotene that speeds the metabolic rate of the body and hastens removal of fat deposits and waste. Lettuce aids better metabolism and flushing of toxins. Tomatoes are rich in Vitamin C that aid the metabolism and release of water from the kidney to flush out waste. Garlic (along with it’s other benefits) is a natural diuretic food. Horseradish, raw onions and radish speed up your metabolism. And Parsley (even the tiniest bit thrown in while cooking) works as a strong diuretic. Drop back by the Men’s Board sometime! Best Wishes- Dx

Capricious;  Impulsive,  Semi-Predictable       

Most Active