Beans: Protein or Carb/Starch?

Richbehr
on 4/20/08 11:57 am - North Haven, CT
RNY on 03/24/08 with
Hello everyone I'm 4 weeks post-op and I'm getting conflicting stories about beans. Some people say to count them as a protein, while my nutritionist says they are a carb/starch. I have'nt tried them yet until I find out what to count them as. So what does everyone count them as?

"Death borders upon our birth, and our cradle stands in the grave. Our birth is nothing but our death begun."

M M
on 4/20/08 11:58 am
Carb-o-licious.  My favorite carb.
NHskinnygirl
on 4/20/08 12:01 pm - Nashua, NH
It's a good source of both protein and carbs. Enjoy them.
Laurie in NH     Expect the Best !  You will receive the Best....
283/251/150    

onemeanmom
on 4/20/08 12:13 pm - Modesto, CA

well you already have the answer, carbs and protein but they are not on my list of foods okay to eat until stages 5-6 which is seven months out, along with potatoes, corn and peas and other complex carbs. Carbs at the early stages are OUT, at least for the plan I'm on. I know all surgeons and plans seem to be different. I have to say though, the other day I was out and in a pinch for something to eat so........... Pinto's and cheese at Taco Bell really filled the bill for me.   Othere than that, I am not going to eat them for another 6 months.  That's my 2 cents..

Take care! And congrats on your surgery and your journey to a new, healthy you!

Dx E
on 4/20/08 12:15 pm - Northern, MS

4 weeks? Hang in there, it just gets easier… Beans Carbs or Proteins?  Both really… ½ cup of pinto beans- 116 calories Total Carbs 22g Dietary Fiber 7g (“Net Carbs”- 15g) Sugars 1g Protein 7g

I also wanted to drop by an Invitation. It’s great to see other men out here. We make up such a small percentage (12%) Of the people having Weight Loss Surgery, But tend to reach our goal weights quicker and with less Or at least Different hassles than the Gals Due to Male physiology. Drop by the Men’s Message Board And check out what other men like you are going through. It’s a diverse make up of Dads, Singles, Older, younger, etc… Pre-Ops, Post-Ops new and some Old (at Goal) Post-Ops. Lap-Banders, RNY’ers DS, etc… Great bunch of guys with the mutual understanding That WLS for Men can be a totally different Journey. Stop by to add your questions, advice, opinions, and info at- http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/men/

It’s Great to know we’re not so alone, And that there are others pulling for you. Hope to see you ‘Round the Boards! Best Wishes- Dx

Capricious;  Impulsive,  Semi-Predictable       

fillisg
on 4/20/08 12:28 pm - Belmont, MS
Both and good for you too!! My doctor allowed pintos & cheese from taco bell with out the red sauce the day he released me from the hospital. It just depends on what your doc allows. I did and still do enjoy beans. I cook them really often.

Phyllis
LAP RNY 7/7/06
Highest    Current     Goal
292             157           140

"I can do all things through Christ which gives me strength" Philippians 4:13

Most Active