Post-Op Arthritis Meds

pauleddy
on 2/4/08 8:52 am - Thailand
Foobear

Many thanks for the detailed reply. Are you a pharmacologist?

To respond:

Omeprazol is indeed available here in generic format. One reason for my RNY was GERD (my BMI was only 36 but with co-morbs). When the omeprazol didn't work well, I changed to Nexium, which was much stronger. I disagree that they are 'equal'. My GI doc told me they were four times stronger--which seemed about right. as you say, the price/profits may have discouraged trials.

I have some Voltarol slow release. I was figuring that, if I washed it through the pouch with milk, rapidly, then it would delay until the ileum. However, I had a sneaking suspicion that most of these things work systemically--which you confirm.

The Prexige was wonderful. I was even dancing. But, yes, i was aware that it had been removed in some places. My mother used to take Celebrex (which I can buy here without prescription!!) and she said that it was great, perhaps better than Prexige; but there are the cardiovascular risks.

I really dont want to mess about with the pouch, but I will take an NSAID WITH Omeprazol (or similar) if it is recommended to me. However, I am a little freaked.

The arthritis is due to obesity PLUS a bad, old fracture on the right. People say that it will all be 100% fine as I slim---but I think that there is already damage which cannot change. What is yr view?

One person on here takes Arthrotec, which has a built-in protector. Do you have a view?

I have been told that there are injectables. I will gladly see a rheumatologist, although I wonder if I am wasting my time. There seems to be no way out of this.

However, I am desperate. I have now lost 22lb in 4 weeks, but walk with a stick. All the good is being undone!

P
Most Active