Mississippi's Bill to Ban FAT People From Restaurants? Or Is It a Modest Proposal?!?

(deactivated member)
on 2/2/08 11:13 am
Representative Mayhall of Mississippi is sponsoring House Bill 282, which requires restaurants to stop feeding customers with a BMI over 30.  Elsewhere on this message board, people are writing that they are outraged and incensed, and that Mayhall's bill is equivalent to Nazi genocide because obese people are now going to starve to death. Can we get real for a moment here? Mayhall's bill is what is known as a "junk bill."  He created this to draw attention to the fact that Mississippians are the fattest people in the United States, and this is not an area where they wish to be in first place!  (State rankings on the last page) So!  You really think that Mayhall generating argument and discussion in his own state about how to get Mississippians healthy is a bad thing?  You REALLY think this is akin to genocide? Fine!  Let's talk about genocide! For the last three decades, Americans have been sold on eating a high-carbohydrate diet filled with cheap, corn-based starches and corn-sweeteners INSTEAD of  healthy proteins and vegetables.  This has set up  insulin reactions that generates obesity ...  now for an entire generation of Americans that can barely remember eating and living any other way.   This is the first generation of children that has a lower life expectancy than its parents, because of obesity!!! A third of Americans are now obese ... so tell me, whose genocide?!?! And where does this obesity primarily occur?  Look at the list!  Primarily in the American south-east, and mostly among the poor.  Do you REALLY think that it's going to be possible and practicable to perform WLS on all of these people?!?! Here's the thing.  I think that genocide is a complete overstatement, and a shameful comparison. Anyone who knows anything about real genocide will tell you so.   But I think that big agribusiness has marketed its way into poor government nutritional policy, advocating a high-carbohydrate diet, and it has nearly destroyed a generation.  Mayhall is desperate to start conversation in his state about a disease process that is killing people where he lives.  Obviously, restaurants are not going to weigh customers and sit there with calculators determining peoples' BMIs.  But if they don't do something in that state to rein in their number-one killer -- they are  neglecting their duties as leaders. All of that starts with generating conversation. What do you all think? Charming
SophieGrace
on 2/2/08 11:16 am - IL

It's a way to draw attention to the problem, I suppose.   No one who's sane truly believes this will get anywhere, nor is it going to affect any lasting change. It provokes discussion, but I don't see that it will make any difference in anyone's lives. However, we'll see (and have seen) a lot of people typing hard and fast and using a lot of exclamation points. 

SophieGrace 

Dx E
on 2/2/08 11:28 am - Northern, MS
Charming, Mayhall is actually just the "newbie" with the loudest voice down here. Others are using it to 'better' health conditions. I was just typing the following....

For those reading and having a knee-jerk reaction to the post- restaurants closed for feedign the obese...Please know that the article quoted there is completely a mis-representation of the “news event.”  No restaurants “Have been Closed” for serving the obese, no law has been or is even planned to be passed and no one is being discriminated against.  In fact quite the opposite. Among the many who went straight to-:panic::panic: a few seem to “get it,” and one poster got to the crux of the situation- “The article I read said the man who is proposing it said he knows it will not pass. I think it said he was trying to get attention to the problem.” In fact, Representative W.T. Mayhall, Jr (retired, Obese pharmaceutical rep.) who cooked up this “publicity stunt” along with fellow reps John Read (an Obese pharmacist and present Officer of the Public Health and Human Services Committee) and Bobby Shows (formerly Obese member of the Agriculture Committee) joined forces once again and wrote this outrageously inflammatory proposal to garner the attention of the media.  It was written, as Mayhall said, because of the “urgency of the obesity crisis and need for government action.” He hopes it will “call attention to the serious problem of obesity.” Mississippi has led the nation for highest per capita % of Obesity and Morbid Obesity for the past 6 years according to the Center for Disease Control. For the past 5 years Read and Shows have sponsored several initiatives to allocate state budgets to fund and support nutrition and exercise programs in the schools as well as secure funding to deal with the health crisis of Obesity. Their efforts have all died in committee and have garnered little more than a yawn from fellow politicians.  So, enter Jr. member Mayhall, known for being a bit of a reactionary “bomb-thrower” (and a bit of a boob) and suddenly Read and Show have a way of finally catching the ear of the State and getting people stirred up enough to show interest. Sort of a present day Modest-Proposal. Once this intentionally outrageously ridiculous proposal has quickly failed, (and Mayhall has taken the heat) Shows and Read (who have fought for funding for Obesity and Childhood Diabetes concerns for years in the state) can once again submit their requests for funding directed to serving the health needs of a state dying from Obesity.  Then, perhaps there will be enough interest and awareness to rally the state government to rational, and positive action. Simple initiatives like having the candy and coke machines withdrawn from the elementary schools, has been thwarted statewide by the fact that the vending companies give money to the schools, clearly at the cost of the kids health. Rather than condemn Mississippi and draw parallels as some have done…like- “Discrimination is Mississippi? Well Duh! Hahaha” Take a step back, and think… When you see a “Man Bites Dog!” headline….There’s probably a lot more going on behind the story that is un-reported for the sake of Drama. It’s great that so many completely reject the clearly ridiculous.  But don’t be “played.” Or Do, and resume the easier path of being greatly offended and lashing out… :panic::panic::panic::panic: Make sure to over state the issue and shout out- “Concentration Camp!” “Discrimination!”  and since it’s Mississippi, be sure to throw in “Segregation!” :panic::panic::panic::panic: Just use a good conditioner tomorrow. Best Wishes- Dx

Capricious;  Impulsive,  Semi-Predictable       

Jessica S.
on 2/2/08 11:47 am - Noblesville, IN
Thank you for the clarification.  Not being familiar with MS politicians, I did not have the insight you apparently do into their intentions.  It was clear this wasn't a bill meant to be passed.  I'm relieved to hear their goals are progressive rather than discriminatory.
DeeDee
on 2/2/08 12:03 pm
Dx - Mayhall lives 5.5 miles from me.  Think we should invite him to join us at the Blue & White Restaurant when we all get together in Tunica next month?  DeeDee

Dx E
on 2/2/08 12:54 pm - Northern, MS
:bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl: He's a "bomb-thrower." Just being used by others to help raise a ruckus. Perhaps he would have his picture made with us? Trip to Graceland, a Mississppi River Boat cruise, Night of Blues on Beale Street, and a chance to give Mayhall Jr. a piece of our mind? "Late night toilet paper his lawn?" :bigrofl: How Cool!!! Best Wishes- Dx

Capricious;  Impulsive,  Semi-Predictable       

SonyaB
on 2/2/08 11:35 am - Mantachie, MS
Wow! I am from Mississippi and hadn't heard this. That is just crazy...I don't know what else to say but it is crazy. Sonya
Jen the Fa-shoe-nista
on 2/2/08 1:15 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Hmmmm, I think I love you Charming.  Some people are just sheep who don't know the meaning of research if it bit them in the behind.  I find it abhorrent that society is at the mercy of lobbyists and big business but...what can ya do except educate yourself and be aware of the mind***k that they're laying on us.  It sickens me to no end that no one will remove the craptastic food from elementary schools simply because those companies pay the schools to keep the food around.  And people blindly wonder why our (the younger) generation is obese.  *shakes head*
PattyL
on 2/2/08 1:17 pm
There are better ways to discuss the problem of obesity than to suggest discriminating against heavy people as an appropriate course of action.  Yes it's a junk bill that won't pass.  The heavy people in this country are already held up to ridicule and discrimination in every phase of their lives.  I guess it's OK to heap a little more embarassment on their broad shoulders.  They can take it.  They're all jolly.  Right? So it was meant to be a joke.  And we're all supposed to laugh and be motivated to go on a diet.  These are elected officials responsible for running the state of Mississippi.  These are legislators, not comedians.  Sorry but that means they need to adhere to a higher standard of ethics and acceptable behavior than the general public. I guess it's OK to reinstitute segregation.  Maybe they will suggest separate but equal?  Now they want to do it by BMI.  Instead of skin color, religion, or sexual orientation.  They can call the other side of the tracks Fat Town and we'll all meet there for dinner.  Remember, it's still just fine to refuse to serve Fatty!
carla L.
on 2/2/08 4:20 pm - Modesto, CA
AMEN PATTY!!!!!!!!! nicley said !
carla
Most Active