Arthritis - NSAIDS - Major holdback..

AnnB
on 1/28/08 10:29 pm - Pooler, GA
My surgeon's office just informed me that I can't have my anti-inflammatory meds for arthritis ever again after RNY surgery!  What?!!  I can't get by without them!  I don't think losing weight will help the arthritis in my hands.  I'm still going to need my NSAIDS.  I have insurance approval and ready to set a date, but now I'm hung up on this problem.  Anybody else have experience with this? Thanks

Be who you are and say what you feel,
cause those who matter don't mind 
and those who mind don't matter.    
.....Dr Seuss
(deactivated member)
on 1/28/08 10:36 pm - Simpsonville, SC
you're gonna hear this quite a bit in this thread.  but i think in that case you should check out the DS or lap-band.  of course, the rny may reduce your need for nsaids.
Connie D.
on 1/28/08 10:37 pm
Yes, I have severe arthritis and fibromyalgia and have learned to deal with the pain. I use tylenol extra strenght and when that doesn't work I use Vicodin. We cannot use NSAIDS ever aagin. My arthiritis is considerably better ... my whole body aches less. Good luck!! I wouldn't give this surgery up for nothing!! Hugs, connie d
Wissixwe
on 1/28/08 11:00 pm, edited 1/28/08 11:00 pm - Pottstown, PA

I have arthritis in my knees and ankles, could hardly walk even with a cane prior to my WLS.  I switched to Tylenol and Vicodin, too, and can say they have worked quite well for me.  Cane is long gone and I am walking everywhere. Do I still hurt - sometimes, yes, but compared to where I started, I am so much better.

Now, I am only  talking good old osteoarthritis here - do you have rheumatoid arthristis?

JanR
This dream is for you, so pay the price.
Make one dream come true -
You Only Live Twice

(deactivated member)
on 1/28/08 10:37 pm - Simpsonville, SC
oh and having said that.  i didn't listen about the NSAIDS when i hurt my back.  BIG mistake.  tummy hurt BAD.  thank goodness i didn't do any damage to my pouch though.
Dave Chambers
on 1/28/08 10:55 pm - Mira Loma, CA
This topic came up at a seminar my surgeon conducted a couple of months ago. One of his patients had the same complain. The doctor's reply: "my father in law had this surgery 10 years ago. He used Celebrex.  He still uses Celebrex, BUT I've told him to take a Prilosec an hour before taking the Celebrex to help coat his stomach". Nsaids can cause irritation to the pouch, and possibly eat a hole in it over time. Coating the stomach prior to usage of such pills will greatly diminish the problem, according to Dr. David Suh, of Crown Bariatric in Corona, CA. He was my surgeon too. He's done 2000+ of the RNY procedures. DAVE
AnnB
on 1/28/08 10:59 pm - Pooler, GA
Maybe prilosec would help...  If it's the wls or arthritis meds, I have to choose arthritis meds.  Losing weight isn't going to help my hands and the arthritis in them is very bad.

Be who you are and say what you feel,
cause those who matter don't mind 
and those who mind don't matter.    
.....Dr Seuss
Jo W.
on 1/28/08 11:01 pm - Owosso, MI
I have severe osteoarthritis.   It affects mostly my back  but when it gets so it affects my hands and knees badly  I  do resort to the nsaids,  but I am lucky there  as I can take them for 4 or 5 days till the inflamation is knocked down and then  im good to go for another 6 weeks    usually only need them in the colder or wetter months   ive probably taken  30 one a day pills in the 2 yrs plus my surgury.  You would most definately need to talk to your dr about doing this.  Im  lucky  a few  pills every 6weeks or 2 months works well for me   Im positive it wont be that way for every one
peacefuldaizy
on 1/28/08 11:13 pm - South of Buffalo, NY
Oh, I take an occasional Ibuprofen for a headache post-op ... Since you have chronic inflammation, you might want to consider natural anti-inflammatories such as ginger, tumeric, fish oil, and cherries.  Perhaps consider another type of wls if your arthritis is very bad.  To say that we should never, ever take one NSAID is a bit extreme, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it on a regular basis for a chronic condition.  I find it hard to believe that Vicodin is a "healthier" long-term choice for pain. Annette

Ms. Cal Culator
on 1/28/08 11:15 pm, edited 1/28/08 11:16 pm - Tuvalu
I personally think that NSAIDS are bad for everyone.  That said, they are probably  LESS bad for DS patients.  Come visit us and talk to some of our people who need to use NSAIDs on a daily basis. Sue http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/a,messageboard/board_id ,5357/
Most Active