VASO VAGO REACTION?

hanvey3252
on 1/9/08 3:58 am - Clarksville, TN

What exactly is this and what causes it?  I have been having some dizzy spells lately.  I have been diagnosed with positinal vertigo, but I'm not sure that's what I have been experiencing lately.  Vertigo episodes usually lasts several hours if not days.  I haven't had an episode like that since my surgery, march 2006.  Now what happens is I stand up and feel really dizzy, almost faint. I read something about vaso vago in an earlier post but have not heard much about it.  Thanks!

UNDER GOAL!!

Kathy & Rich
on 1/9/08 4:08 am - Fairfax, VA
You can do a web search on vasovagal syncope.  It means overstimulation of the vagus nerve.  My dad has this and when he gets stressed his nerve gets stimulated and he gets light-headed. There is also orthostatic hypotension (low blood pressure) that can happen post-op. Get up from laying down or sitting very slowly and see if that helps.  Do not get up quickly and move.  Kathy
PinkRibbonLL.gif, Denis Ryan improved pink ribbon - 2002, thanks Denis! ~Kathy~5'7.5"~lap RNY~05/20/2005~ PinkRibbonLL.gif, Denis Ryan improved pink ribbon - 2002, thanks Denis! 279/276/244/160/148/185 (high/consult/preop/goal/low/current)
~Rich
~6'5.0"~open RNY~08/05/2004~>500+/450/437/250/239/320(high/consult/preop/goal/low/current)
Simply ME!
on 1/9/08 4:08 am - Las Cruces, NM
Its when your blood pressure drops and your heart rate follows.  It causes a dizzy nauseated feeling and can cause you to pass out.  You need to sit down or you may fall down, then take deep breaths in through your nose andout through your mouth till the feeling passes.  Then your doctor needs to find out why you are having these spells.

Glitter Graphics      

Trauma Queen
on 1/9/08 4:14 am, edited 1/9/08 4:15 am - Jacksonville, FL
 I think what you are wanting to say is vasovagal syncope.   Basically it means loss of consciousness. In my opinnion this is a waste basket term for a underlying issue. What you are more probably dealing with is called Postural hypotension.  It is quite common in WLS folks who've lost a crapload of weight.  The reason I mention this as a WLS patient and NOT as a EMT is because I deal with this as well personally. Essentially what happends is your blood pressure drops dramatically when you stand causing the dizziness.  The change in position causes a temporary reduction in blood flow and therefore a shortage of oxygen to the brain. This leads to lightheadedness and, sometimes, a "black out" episode, a loss of consciousness.  You must stand slowley and be aware of this happening. Are you on Iron?  You should be taking a minimum of 150 mg of iron WITH 500 mg of Vitamin C for absorption.
445/425/123/1??
brachioplasty 7/11/07
Breast reduction/lift and axilla repair 9/5/07
Mons reduction and L arm brachioplasty repair 01/02/08
Tummy tuck with Anchor cut  3/12/08
Lower body lift TBA
Dx E
on 1/9/08 4:32 am - Northern, MS
Couple of thoughts- FeelingFaint? and also - Vagus-Nerve More common tham one would think... Best Wishes- Dx  

Capricious;  Impulsive,  Semi-Predictable       

Most Active