"The BUFFET!"

Dx E
on 12/14/07 11:28 am - Northern, MS

OK, Michelle! I have seen many times- "Buffet! What a Waste!" and wanted to share an alternative view… (yes, sometimes the mere mention can start a ruckus That makes "Restaurant Card Threads" seem tame…) Yes, I’m bringing up a dreaded topic- "The BUFFET!" NO Joke here…. Just a Re-Post….. _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Getting your Money’s Worth At the Buffet! Not a rant about Restaurant Cards, But Seriously- "What has Worked for Me!" I have a local Chinese restaurant That has an "All you CARE to Eat" Buffet Daily. The Lunch hours price? (college town pricing) $5.50 but they don’t offer the "Create Your Own" Mongolian Bar-B-Que option or custom Sushi Bar. In the Evenings they do as well as "Special" Items. And the Cost is $8.00. With "Drink" these jump up to $6.70 something for Lunch, $9.50 something for Diner. (I have gone there in the evening, But usually only by day. Me? No Drink ever, so that knocks 1$ off the price. I typically have Lunch there for $7.00 total After leaving approx. $1.50 for Tip. (Generous or Adequate for a $6.00 serve yourself Buffet) Just like the rest of my eating Now, It all comes down to "Food Choices." The easy "META-RULE" that will work For nearly all food choices now- "Only choose the most Expensive (per ounce/lb) Foods." And add to that- Foods, which take time/skill to eat. My "Goal" at this Buffet, I figure this way. For the $6.00, It is Extraordinary to pay only $2.00 Towards the Place Setting, Silverware use, Cooking, Ambience, Air-conditioning, etc… So I attempt to get $4.00 worth of food. Follow? Yes? I usually can get at least $6.00 worth With out Even Trying. I go for the Low-Fat Protein First And that "just happens" To coincide with The more expensive items on the buffet. Obviously Prices will vary across the nation But based on my old restaurant Kitchen work in college, And the Info I’ve "dug out of" One of my under-grads who works there, These prices are fairly close. My favorite choices marked with an asterisk or 2. (*) My "Avoids" marked with a (~) Examples- * Cured Smoked King Salmon - Approx. $19.00 lb. ..............(Only on Weekend Nights) ** King Crab Legs - Approx. $18.00 lb. (Very Slow to eat) * Jumbo Prawns/Shrimp - Approx. $15.00 lb. ..............("Un-Shelled" Slower to eat) (Only on Weekend Nights) Pepper Crusted Prime Rib - - Approx. $14.50 lb. ..............(Sunday Lunch and Evening) * Pickled Ginger - Approx. $14.00 lb. ..............(Aids Digestion, reduces Gas!) * Sea Scallops - Approx. $13.50 lb. ..............(Slow to chew) ** Steamed Razor Clams - Approx. $13.00 lb. ..............(Take Longer to Eat) * Steamed Oysters- Approx. $12.00 lb. ..............(Take Longer to Eat) * King Salmon - Approx. $10.50 lb. * Sushi Grade Tuna - Approx. $10.00 lb. Halibut - Approx. $9.00 lb. Red/Sockeye Salmon - Approx. $7.50 lb. Silver Salmon - Approx. $7.00 lb. * Bulk Nuts (non-peanuts) - Approx. $6.75 lb. Common block Cheese ..............(Cheddar, Swiss, Colby, etc) - Approx. $5.50 lb. * Medium to Small Shrimp - Approx. $5.00 lb. ..............("Un-Shelled" Slower to eat) * Spicy Steamed Tilapia Fish - Approx. $5.00 lb. Five Spiced Ham – ..............(Averaging Actual Ham and Processed) - Approx. $5.00 lb. * Steamed Local Crawfish - Approx. $5.00 lb. ..............("Un-Shelled" Very Slow to eat) Beef (Roast or Tips) - Approx. $ 4.00 lb. * Asian Style Ribs (Cooked, Bone in)- - Approx. $4.00 lb. ..............(Double the price for not eating the Bone) Chicken Tenders (Real, not Processed/Minced) - Approx. $ 3.00 lb. Cod Fillets (as in Fish and chips) - Approx. $3.00 lb. "Moo-Goo-Gai-Pan" - Approx. $2.50 lb. Meatballs/Pot-Stickers/Meat Dumplings - Approx. $2.50 lb. ~ (ick!) Faux Seafood Salad ..............(imitation crabmeat) - Approx. $2.00 lb. ** Lychee Nuts ..............(Rough outer skin to peel-takes more time) - Approx. $2.00 lb. * Fresh Strawberries - - Approx. $1.75 lb. ~ Breaded (Sweet and Sour anything "chunks"– General) ..............- Approx. $1.75 lb. Seedless Grapes - Approx. $1.75 lb. * Mixed Steamed Vegetables - Approx. $1.75 lb. ~ American (Processed Cheese-Food) Bulk/Block - Approx. $1.50 lb. Grape/Cherry Tomatoes- Approx. 1.50 lb. * Snow Peas - - Approx. $1.50 lb. Fresh Tomatoes (Bulk Price) - Approx. $1.25 lb. * Fresh Peppers (Bulk Price) - Approx. $1.25 lb. Fresh Vegetables (In General) - Approx. $1.25 lb. Chicken (Fried on Bone) - Approx. $0.75 lb. ~ (ick) Breaded Processed ..............(from Minced) Shrimp- Approx. $0.70 lb. -before cooking. ~ Chicken or Pork Dishes Battered/Fried/Sauced- Approx. $0.70 lb. ~ Breaded Fish Sticks- Approx. $0.65 lb. -before cooking. ~ Egg Rolls (With Shrimp-bits) - $0.65 lb. ~ Egg Rolls (No Meat) - $0.60 lb. ~ Pizza Rolls (Bulk price) - Approx. $0.04 each -$0.60 lb. -before cooking. Chicken Wings - Approx. $ 0.50 lb. ~ Egg Foo Yung - - Approx. $0.45 lb. * Steamed Cabbage - Approx. $0.40 lb. ~~~ Tater Tots (Bulk Price) – Approx./Average- $0.40 lb. ~~~ Bulk Mac & Cheese- Approx. - $0.40 lb. ~~ Fried Potatoes (General Bulk) - Approx. $0.35 lb. -before cooking. ~~ Bulk Noodles (general) – Approx./Average- $0.35 lb. Hot and Sour Soup - Approx./Average - $0.35 lb. ~~ Wontons (Fried Crisp) - Approx./Average- $0.30 per pound ~~ Bulk Rice (Cooked/Steamed) – Approx./Average- $0.15 lb. ~~ Mashed Potatoes (from instant) – Approx./Average- $0.20 lb. ~~ "Chinese Doughnuts" - Approx. $0.20 lb. Egg Drop Soup - Approx. $0.15 lb. (Soothing but not "filling") Watermelon (Bulk Price) - Approx. $0.15 lb. Bulk Restaurant Pudding- Approx. $0.10 lb. Sweet and Sour Sauce - Approx. $0.05 lb. Wonton Soup - Approx. $0.05 lb. Bulk Restaurant Jell-O- Approx. $0.02 lb. I tend to average out at $12.50 per lb. Choice When the items are combined. And I typically eat about 8 to 10 ounces, Up to a full pound depending on time and food density How heavily I hit the King Crab Legs, And Shellfish Giving me about $8.50 worth Of Low fat Protein First, then usually a little Veggies and a Lychee Nut or 2 and A few Walnuts for "dessert." Now-a-days, I More than Get "My Money’s Worth." But I think about my Past- Started by Ordering a large Sweet Tea, Filled my plate with Rice or Noodles, Then smother it in Breaded, Fried, Sauced Chicken Bits, Couple of Egg Rolls, With lots of Sweet and Sour Sauce Hit the "Non-Asian Items" Such as a Bowl of Tater-Tots, Fried "Potato Logs," and a handful of pizza rolls. Go back for some more rice With Sweet Sauce and pork over it And a couple of pieces of Fried Chicken. Finish off with 3 "Chinese Doughnuts" With plenty of pudding to dip them in. Probably 4 to 5 Pounds of Food And an Over Priced Beverage. But at an Average of around $0.45 per lb. Even if I could eat 8 lbs. of food at that rate, ($3.60 worth of actual food) I was still not "Getting my Money’s Worth!" Now not every Buffet Has the same ingredients obviously, But the Same "META-RULE" Applies. Go for the MOST EXPENSIVE Items, (With the exception of Cheese Cake,) and They will normally be Higher in Protein, Lower in Fats, Carbs and Calories. If you find an Asian Buffet, That doesn’t have the King Crab Legs, Keep looking. Many Do. Eating Healthy, Is the Only way to Actually "Get your Money’s Worth." Why would I want To use a "Restaurant Card" Now? Before, I was making them a huge profit, Now, I’m sure they Shudder When they see me coming for my 8 to 10 Choice ounces! Take a look at a Buffet with new eyes! It CAN BE one of the most Cost-Effective Meals out there. Best Wishes- Dx

Capricious;  Impulsive,  Semi-Predictable       

Eggface
on 12/14/07 11:33 am - Sunny Southern, CA
Rockin Dx. This is my fav. Seriously there is no need for those restaurant cards. I go to a buffet and they are out waaaaay more money then when I was pre-op. I Chinese Buffet Gone are the days of lo mein noodles, fried rice, and crab rangoons aka the Cr@p  My tongs head straight for the crab, scallops, black bean clams, etc. Pure Protein baby. ~Michelle

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Dx E
on 12/14/07 11:46 am - Northern, MS
When Alaskan King Crab become extinct, It will more than likely be my fault. And I'm doing my best with the chicken population as well! Best Wishes- Dx
Eggface
on 12/14/07 12:08 pm - Sunny Southern, CA
LOL not if I get to the little suckers first! Have a great weekend! ~Michelle

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

special kay
on 12/14/07 11:57 am - Ladson, SC
I like a buffet more now than I did before surgery! A lil this and a lil that and I'm good to go!!
     ~*Kay*~

450/388/173/175   
http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/Special-Kay/ <~~ Look!! 

Charlie
on 12/14/07 12:05 pm - Daytona Beach, FL
I'm going to print this out and give it to Dougie....maybe we WILL do an all you can eat Chinese buffet for Christmas dinner in Dallas......hehe. Hugs Charlie

Dx E
on 12/14/07 12:21 pm - Northern, MS

The really easy method? Reach for the "stuff at the back." All of the expensive items on a salad bar or buffet Are placed to be the most difficult to reach, And the "Cheap Crap" is very easily accessible. See if you don’t find it to be true. We were instructed to set up the Breakfast bar and salad bars That way, back when I worked at Shoney’s in college And I find it to be the case at Whole Foods, or any of the "Open Market" style restaurants or deli’s. Reach for the Back! Best Wishes- Dx

Charlie
on 12/14/07 12:25 pm - Daytona Beach, FL
Will do....I can remember that.  I was hoping to find a nice quiet restaurant with candles and ambience and good food for Christmas dinner.  Of course we are taking the George Foreman, so who knows what we'll wind up with.....hehe. "I'd waltz across Texas with yewwwwww" Hugs Charlie

danabky
on 12/14/07 12:53 pm - NC
Oh I wish I was going home for Christmas!  If you are looking for a Great Chinese restaurant it is PF Chengs (Changs?)  It isn't a buffet but it is a very romantic restaurant and you order from a menu.  Great Ambiance. Not sure which restaurants have the great buffets since I haven't been to any in so long.  You may want to check all of the nice hotels, they always have Christmas Dinners.  For instance, Hyatt, Sheraton, etc, they usually have them and they are buffet style but very, very nice.  Where in Dallas are you staying?  Dana
Charlie
on 12/14/07 1:12 pm - Daytona Beach, FL
Hey girlie.....not sure yet where we'll be staying.  But since we have to pay our own expenses, we usually look for an extended stay hotel so we have a kitchen.  It's usually much less for a weekly rate.  So probably a Motel 6 studio or Extended Stay America or one of those.  Not really sure at this point if we will be IN Dallas or in one of the towns around Dallas.  I'll know about 2 days before I leave.  I'm not looking forward to the 2 day drive, but I'll do it.  The thing is also, I have to drive back for the cruise on Jan 31st, then back to Texas, or wherever.  They are also talking California if we finish Texas.  I will look for the Chinese restaurant.  I've heard of it.  One of my best friends lives in Garland, but she's coming to Florida.  LOL. So much to do.....so little time..... Hugs Charlie

Most Active