Stricture and ulcer Complications

Carrienewme
on 12/14/07 12:07 pm - Denver, CO
I am 5 months post op to date.  I have lost 100 pounds so far.  About 70 more to go.  Last month after a check up I learned it is not normal to throw up nearly every day, and not tolerate much more then soft foods.  I had to have an upper endoscopy.  I learned I had a stricture of my intestine at where it connects to the pouch.  Then I have an ulcer in that upper part of my intestine.  They dialated my stricture, and i felt great for a few weeks.  I actually enjoyed turkey on Thanksgiving.  Now I find myself feeling very uncomfortable after I eat and going back to eating soft foods again.  I'm scared my sticture might be coming back or is it just my ulcer?  I havn't been sick very often maybe once a week I toss my "cookies"  Is it because I'm eating to much? But like today I had a fish taco for lunch, I didn't touch the tortilla, and maybe only atet 1/2 the fish in it. I was feeling sick after the second bite.  I stopped so I wouldn't get sick.  But a few days ago I had about 2 ounces of chicken over about 30 minutes and that stayed down, but wasn't very comfortable either.  Has anyone had a stricture, I understand they can come back after they dialate it, but sometimes never come back  Or is it the ulcer that is causeing the discomfort?  I take Nexium 2x day.  I really don't want to have another endoscopy if what I'm feeling is just "normal" RNY stuff. 
Neongem
on 12/14/07 12:39 pm - East Patchogue, NY
i had a stricture at 10 weeks out,,, they dilitated me... and then 3 days later did it again. they told me that its very common for a stricture to reoccur... so yes,, it might be narrowing again.. call your surgeon.  i have not thrown up since they stretched me. i tolerate everything very well, although rice makes me a little crampy.  if things are getting stuck again and u have to go back to soft foods, then somethings not right..  good luck!

Carrienewme
on 12/14/07 12:50 pm - Denver, CO
Thanks, I just want to pull the covers over my head and pretend everything is allright.  The endoscopy wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  I will call the doc Monday.
Dx E
on 12/14/07 12:56 pm - Northern, MS

So sorry you are having problems. Nope, not "just "normal" RNY stuff" Most of the time, Strictures will need multiple dilations. (from reading these and other WLS Boards for over 5 years, I'd nearly say "all" of the time, but there are exceptions.)

Call your Doc on Monday and tell them exactly what is happening. I’ve seen a lot of folks feel amazing and continue on to a smooth trip, but usually after their 2nd or 3rd dilation. One other tip…. If your pouch gets irritated or "Upset" one day, It will often be sensitive and easily irritated for the next couple of days. When you have an issue, give a day with very easy, soft foods To let it get over the irritation. Baby it. Still, I’d check the stricture. It is More common than not that they require multiple procedures to stretch the stoma to a proper size. Hope you are feeling better soon! Best Wishes- Dx

Capricious;  Impulsive,  Semi-Predictable       

LeticiaVailes
on 12/14/07 7:20 pm - Humboldt, TN
Hey, I am sorry you are having problems. Strictures and ulcers are both common after WLS. If I were you I would head back to the surgeon and even if he has to open you back up let him find out what the problem is and fix it!....... You should NOT be having any pain....... If you keep throwing up you might create other problems that can become life threatening!.......Hugs, Leticia

Work like you don't need the money......
Leticia

Most Active