Do we malabsorb calories and fat too???

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/07 12:50 pm - MN
Ok, SO we malabsorb calcium.  And Iron.  And B12.  And all things good for us that we need. So someone PLEASE tell me we are also malabsorbing fat and calories. IF I am eating 1200 calories a day, does that mean my body is absorbing all 1200?  Or am I malabsorbing some of those calories too? I'm trying to figure this out... basically, when I go to thedailyplate.com, and type in my height and weight and that I want to lose 1 lb a week, it says I can eat 2500 calories a day!!!!!  Well, I'm barely eating 1000 calories a day... and I am curious if my body is getting all 1000 of those, or if I'm really only getting like 800 because of the malabsorbtion. DOES anyone know the answer to this question???  Or have any thoughts on the same topic??? THANKS!
Kristie T.
on 12/14/07 1:03 pm - Hamilton, AL
I have wondered the same thing......Great Post.....
Dx E
on 12/14/07 1:08 pm - Northern, MS

For an RNY... We mal-absorb approximately 36% of the fats ingested. It can obviously vary greatly from person to person But that's the "Average" For a Proximal RNY Bypass. (Not as great as it sounds, People who have had no surgery what-so-ever mal-absorb approximately 8% of the fats ingested) We also mal-absorb approximately 12 to 18% of the protein ingested, (depending on speed of digestive tract material, and the specific proteins) But we mal-absorb approximately only 2% of the Carbs ingested, Even lower for simple Carbs such as Sugars. However, Most Bariatric Surgeons recommend that Patients "Count" every Calorie eaten, and eat extra Protein to make sure levels are maintained. If one starts "splitting hairs" and using mal-absorption percentages To rationalize poor eating choices, they may be surprised When they realize "Too Late" that they are at one end of the spectrum Of mal-absorption, and not dead center of that Average. Yes? Follow your Doc & Your Nutritionist's recommendations.

Best Wishes- Dx

Capricious;  Impulsive,  Semi-Predictable       

Linda_S
on 12/14/07 2:33 pm - Eugene, OR
Yes, you don't absorb all of the calories that you eat.  The amount you miss out on will be determined by a lot of different things, but you won't absorb all the calories you eat. Linda

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

Susan S.
on 12/14/07 3:24 pm - Roselle, NJ
It's a very good question and I'm a little concerned that your doctor didn't do a better job at educating you.   Yes - malabsorption is one of the reasons the RNY is preferred over gastric stapling/restrictive procedures like the lapband for long term success.  The malabsorption increases the weightloss and as a side effect induces nutritional deficiencies that must be addressed through supplementation.   The body over time (takes about 2 years) actually grows more square footage of absorptive capacity in the  small intestine in order to reverse the malabsorption of the bypass - which is why we're told we have a 2 year window to achieve maximum weightloss.    You are not absorbing all of the calories or nutrients in food you do eat.   And yes you are not absorbing fats....even healthy ones - which is one of the longer term consequences of this surgery are deficiencies in essentail fatty acids which can lead to neuropathies in the extremeties.    Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

M M
on 12/14/07 10:34 pm
Awesome 'splanation there.  Wow.
Pamela- t-da
on 12/14/07 10:28 pm, edited 12/14/07 10:32 pm - Beautiful, MN

It is my understanding that we do malabsorb calories and fat.  Unless you eat cheese dip, egg nog or Snickers.  Those we absorb at a rate of 100% and they go directly to your butt.  Ha Ha "Shaves99" just teasing!  Have a GREAT time at coffee today!!!!!!

Valerie G.
on 12/15/07 5:09 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Yes you DO malabsorb some (the key word here being SOME) because of the portion of small intestine that was bypassed.  How much depends on how much your surgeon bypassed.  The amounts vary, so it's a good question to ask your surgeon about.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active