Iron Help Needed!

sngglnclos
on 12/14/07 2:58 am - sw burbs, MN

My numbers are low and I have been taking iron everyday - not with or within 2 hours of calcium or dairy products.

My question is does anyone know if there is a certain type of iron that is better absorbed after RNY?

Kristie T.
on 12/14/07 3:01 am - Hamilton, AL
You need to see your PCP or surgeon, the OTC stuff is Not strong enough for some of us that experience low Iron....My PCP put me on ferrous sulfate 325mg 2 x day and after a few days I had energy and felt better before I could barely walk across the room, i hear there is a new Iron supplement better than ferrous sulfate but I cannot think of the name....
sngglnclos
on 12/14/07 3:06 am - sw burbs, MN
that is what I buy over the counter - I wonder if its different than what they can prescribe??
Dx E
on 12/14/07 3:11 am - Northern, MS
Here's a link to a post that surfaces on the Men's Forum frequently. Iron-EVERYTHING-you-ever-(and-Never)-wanted-to-Know Hope it helps. Best Wishes- Dx

Capricious;  Impulsive,  Semi-Predictable       

sngglnclos
on 12/14/07 3:26 am - sw burbs, MN
Thanks DX!! I'm going to share this info with my state board too!!
Dx E
on 12/14/07 3:44 am - Northern, MS
  Glad to be of Help! Best Wishes- Dx
Angie Conley
on 12/14/07 3:23 am - Middletown , OH
Dx's posts are very informative. I suggest reading them when you can. Here's what my doc told me: 1. If you get an OTC iron make sure it is bariatric approved (I take Building Blocks iron 30mg twice a day.) 2. Take it with fruit juice to help with absorption. 3. Never take calcium supplements with iron supplements. 4. Take it after eating. 5. It helps to include foods high in iron in your diet.
sngglnclos
on 12/14/07 4:13 am - sw burbs, MN
Thanks!  I will look into the Building Blocks
Ourpaints
on 12/14/07 3:24 am
I take a supplement by Building Block Vitamins that is YUMMY and cheap.  It runs $10.95 a month and is 30 mg of Ferrous Fumarate.  haven't had any labs done yet, but I have lots of energy, no issues with looking pale, or such.  Hoping my numbers turn out good.........I was Always anemic even as a baby and my total Iron was only a 7 pre-op.  (normal was 15-55).  I tried another brand of iron, but it didn't do me any good when I wouldn't take it because it was so Icky!  I take the BBVitamins one..  Here is there website.  I order mine online: http:www.bbvitamins.com  good luck! Cheryl
"I may have to grow old, but, I don't have to grow up!"

See my horses on the website I made for them.  I am losing weight to get healthy and be able to ride again!  http://ourpaints.gq.nu
sngglnclos
on 12/14/07 4:13 am - sw burbs, MN
Thanks!  I will look into the Building Blocks
Most Active