OT: Anyone else have this problem

Shannon L.
on 12/12/07 12:40 pm - streator, IL
I have noticed over the past several weeks that I have seriously dry skin.  I'm talking flaking off type dryness.  And it's only in between my eyebrows and under my eyes, near my nose....Does anyone know of any lotion I could use that would help this? 

247/237/145 ~ currently @ 180

Eggface
on 12/12/07 12:44 pm - Sunny Southern, CA
You may need more fats... for the first month or so I eliminated fats from my diet having fat free everything, no oil, no butter, etc. My hair flaked and skin was so dry you could write with your fingernails on my arm in the morning and still see what you wrote that night. I started cooking in olive oil, I ate more salmon, nuts and an occasional avocado (all in moderation of course) and my skin and hair are great again. Talk to your Dr. or Nut and see what they have to say. There's definitely "good fats" and "bad fats" so make sure you choose wisely. ~Michelle

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

LadyBee
on 12/12/07 12:51 pm - KY
Try a little dab of hydrocortisone cream on the dry areas.  This should help almost immediately.  As for the cause, I have no idea.  

whatever_is_whatever
on 12/12/07 1:02 pm - MILWAUKEE, WI
could it be the weather that is helping the issue?? I know here in wisconsin my skin  has been doing the samething as soon a the weather started to get colder, I swear by Cetaphil moisturizing cream it helped in one use...I buy the knock off from walmart for half the price of the name brand.  it'll run 6 bucks for a 16oz tub but a little goes a long way.  best,  tori
Shannon L.
on 12/12/07 1:10 pm - streator, IL

I think I might have to pick some up tomorrow

247/237/145 ~ currently @ 180

SCdJ
on 12/12/07 1:26 pm
I have just started taking "Health Hair, Skin, & Nails" as a supplement.  You can get it on HSN.com and it's by Andrew Lessman.  I also have always had really bad skin on my upper arms (combination acne and dry spots) so I ordered some Tawaka Ojon head to toe cream from QVC.com which is absolutely wonderful!!!!  My Mom and sister both tried it and immediately ordered some.  Between both products I really feel great!  They are not cheap but I am definitely worth it! Good luck! Charli
Dx E
on 12/12/07 1:35 pm - Northern, MS
If you use an exfoliator (sp?)  Drop it during the winter months And avoid any cleanser that makes 'suds.' Maybe look for Eucerin Extra Protective Moisture Lotion. It does wonders with dry skin. (My wife's product, I used it after long hospital stay.  good stuff) Kroger, Walgreens, Wal-Mart, they all seem to carry it... I'm with Michelle, It could be your fat intake. Checkout- F-Is-for-FAT Yes it's on the men's board, But can't hurt to read.... Best Wishes- Dx

Capricious;  Impulsive,  Semi-Predictable       

FastFingers ~*~
on 12/13/07 12:05 am

You know what, Shannon?  My eczema (which was way worse when I was heavier) went NUTS right after I had my RNY.  I think it was the sudden and drastic decrease in the amount of fats I was taking in.  I didn't know at the time that Omega-3 fatty acids (now available in supplement form) and fish oil would help, so I didn't try them then.  But they are supposed to help your body keep your skin and joints supple, so trying those might help. Also, I developed eczema in places (right on my upper lip, for example) where I had never had it before.  I tried hydrocortisone cream, which helped a little.  I went to a dermatologist to find out if this was from a vitamin deficiency (I was having B-12 issues at the time), or if it could be something else.  I somehow (don't ask) NEVER considered that it might be eczema.  So I now have a prescription cream which works wonders - AND once I used it for a couple of days, the problem hasn't returned, which is GREAT. So if you are concerned that this might be a medical issue, your doc can prescribe something that'll fix you up.  Good luck! Amy K

Flying Spagetti Monster

"Doubt everything.  Find your own light."
--
Last words of Gautama Buddha, in Theravada tradition

Most Active