G-Tube Clogging

mec1065
on 11/11/07 4:50 am - Orlando, FL
I have been putting protien shakes through my G-Tube as I was told I can do by my Doctor... The G-Tube seems to get clogged does anyone know what I can do to #1 get the tube unclogged, #2 stop the premixed protien shakes from clogging the tube?
FinallyLosingIt_07
on 11/11/07 4:53 am - Kettleman City, CA
Try a teeny bit of 7up, sometimes the fizzyness will unclog it, but don't do it if you think the carbonation might upset your stomach.  Other than that, I'm not sure what else to try except maybe warm water and "milking" the tube with your fingers if that's where it's clogged.

Highest weight 360  Day of surgery 289 Current weight 200

Amy B.
on 11/11/07 5:22 am - Deerfield, IL

Before feeding protien shakes through your tube put 1-2 oz warm water through, and then follow each protien shake feeding with another 1-2 oz of warm water.  If things still are getting hung up try milking the tube with your fingers if necessary.   

Amy 293/140 - AT GOAL!   

Jodie T.
on 11/11/07 5:27 am - FL
Don't milk the tube with your fingers(too dirty). Use a little soda. Been a nurse along time thats what we use. Cranberry juice is another quick fix.
Amy B.
on 11/11/07 6:54 am - Deerfield, IL
By "milking" we mean squeezing the tube downward - like you would squeeze the udder of a cow. 

Amy 293/140 - AT GOAL!   

Dx E
on 11/11/07 5:55 am - Northern, MS

A little club soda was my doc's recommendation. I would also run a syringe of water through mine between each bag. I was on mine for over 4 months, and found "milking it" (By which I mean massaging it on the outside, not contaminating your site with fingers) To be a quick way to unblock it. Once you get it open and running freely again, Call the doc in the morning and ask about recommendations for keeping it from clogging. Best Wishes- Dx

Capricious;  Impulsive,  Semi-Predictable       

Most Active