what can you not eat

Dx E
on 11/3/07 11:58 pm - Northern, MS
At 4 ½ years post-op? My list of “Can’t Eat” is pretty short. Refined Sugar over 4gms at once and Ground Glass. At One week? Hang in there.  Those first weeks are Super Tough. Your “long-term” goal of “Normal Sensible Meals?” Yep!  When at a restaurant, I eat the same as any other Normal Range BMI person in the place. Had a visit with some other RNY friends last week. We ate at a Bar-B-Que place in Memphis . I had the same order of ribs as the folks there who had never been Obese Or had any surgery. Do I eat ribs all the time? Nope.  But a very wide variety of foods, that aren’t normally Associated with “Post-Op Life.” I think much of the “Living on Protein Shakes” notion Comes from the fact that the vast majority of people who post here Are still in early stages or in their first couple of years. Keep your eyes on the horizon! Use these first 6 months to establish New Eating Habits And those habits will make the following 20+years much easier. For now? Go by “The Book!” Basics first, then you can do “tricks on your bike” After you’ve gotten good at not falling off.  Yes? Hang in there.  It Does Get So Much Easier! Best Wishes- Dx

Capricious;  Impulsive,  Semi-Predictable       

fillisg
on 11/4/07 12:06 am - Belmont, MS
I am 16 months post op and I can not eat rice. My puch hates it!1 I can't eat grilled cheese, another pouch killer. I also have trouble with pancakes & SF Syrup. Pork is also hard to eat. Especially pork chops. Any type of sugar free candy makes me really bloated and gives me terrible gas so I leave it alone also. Other than that, I can eat pretty much anything I want. Good luck in your journey of learning what your pouch will/will not allow you to have.

Phyllis
LAP RNY 7/7/06
Highest    Current     Goal
292             157           140

"I can do all things through Christ which gives me strength" Philippians 4:13

LessofTess
on 11/4/07 12:16 am
I am 8 months out and have tried just about everything since getting the green light for "regular" foods from my surgeon.  I have not tried much in the way of sugar though.  The two things that I prefer to avoid are soft breads and SF ice cream.  SF ice cream made me feel just awful with cramps, etc.  Soft breads tend to get stuck and give me a pain in the breastbone every time.  I can eat them if I butter them well so they slide down more, but then I figure that isn't really the point of eating bread so why not just avoid it.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by what you can eat.  Most days I don't feel like I had surgery at all other than that my capacity is smaller than it used to be, which is a good thing! Tess
Having a surgery you're happy with: Zero dollars
Having a surgery you think is better than anyone else's: Zero dollars
Proselytizing about your surgery to people who don't care: Zero dollars
Still seeing 200 when you hit the scale: Priceless

Proud member of "The Bitches of Quix" ... quixoticwls.org

LovelyLoser
on 11/4/07 12:24 am, edited 11/4/07 12:24 am - Salt Lake City, UT
Hi, Congratulations on your surgery and enjoy the coming ride!! I'm 14 months out and my list of can't eat foods is very short. Well, I guess it's blank. I'm not too friendly with milk but I wasn't before surgery either so that's no surprise. I haven't had trouble with anything since very early out when I didn't chew some salmon enough. I avoid sugar and fat but haven't dumped on them either. I took the food stages very slowly at first because I hate to throw up. I didn't try eggs for I think 2 months but then had no trouble and now eat them regularly. My crockpot is my good friend and has been since early out. Meats come out soooo tender that I have no trouble with them at all. If you don't have one, consider purchasing one. It has made meats very easy for me. Best to you, Annette  
greenthumb
on 11/4/07 12:26 am - CA

Hi there,

I'm 3 mos. out so my story is a bit shorter than some of the others.  I have learned NOT to buy a dozen protein bars because others like them.  I can't eat them they make me feel nauseated for the remainder of the day/night.  Things change monthly.  I couldn't handle my creamer a couple months ago, too sweet, now it's delish.  Peanut butter is the enemy, no matter how low fat/low sugar it is and after 3 mos. of protein shakes, they now make me feel oh, so yucky!  Lunch meats, no thank you.  Some of the things I was afraid to try, like beef, I've had no problems with..  My problem is speed eating.  It was much easier the first couple of months and now I find myself eating way too fast.  I learned my lesson the other night with salmon.    Wishing you all the best,

Paula

MistyLynn81
on 11/4/07 12:35 am - LaGrange, KY
I'm 13.5 weeks out and my pouch doesn't tolerate much of anything! LOL Thats really not typical but it's truth. If I do tolerate something once, the next time I try it I don't. Soo it's really a guessing game of trying different things and see what works for you.
Lndy
on 11/4/07 1:30 am - Gaston, SC
I am almost 5 months out and I can't eat salmon. Noy any way or shape. I love salmon. I mentioned it to the nut. and she reminded me salmon is a fatty fi**** might be good fat but still fat. I can eat white colored fish just fine.
Linda_S
on 11/4/07 1:19 am - Eugene, OR
I have great restriction in my pouch, so I can't eat a whole heck of a lot.  I make a lot of soup -- very lean meat (generally beef, because my stomach does not like chicken or turkey) and then I add a bunch of veggies.  Sometimes I add some barley for the fiber.  I eat a lot of cottage cheese and canned, no sugar added fruit.  Sometimes yogurt -- I like Nancy's best.  I can also eat fish.  Other than that, there's not a whole lot that goes into this body.  Oh!  One more thing that I can eat -- pizza made on a low-carb tortilla.  It's a nice change to have every now and then. Linda

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

JinPA
on 11/4/07 7:46 am - PA
It is all hit or miss.  You just have to experiment. I can eat lots of things. One thing I always vomit up is chicken, which is weird because I could eat it until 4 weeks ago. Could not stand the feel of eggs in my mouth 4 weeks ago and  I now eat them every day. Experiment, chew slowly and don't freak out if you puke a time or two. For the most part, I am enjoying a wide variety of foods, and if something is going to come back up I usually know within two minutes of ingesting it.
Blackthorne
on 11/4/07 8:05 am - Alpharetta, GA
Well, I had a different surgery than you, so this may or may not apply to you (I had the Duodenal Switch). What I can't eat are

a) Scones
b) Carbonated Beverages (I can have 1 can, but two - watch out)

Both give me uncomfortable amounts of gas.

Other than that, there isn't much I can't eat.

--BT
     Six years postop.       All co-morbidities are resolved.  Lost 101lbs in 1st year.   High wt: 277 Surgery wt:  260.7  Currently:  143lbs.    I'm Blackthorne99 on MyFitnessPal.

Click here to read my blog: Unicorns & Stranger Things
Most Active