Belgium vs. Brazil

edwardb
on 10/8/07 11:34 am - Reisterstown, MD
I have made the decision. DS for me is the only option. I am ready. I have decided that due to economics I must go out of the country. The question is Dr. Antelmo in Vitoria Brazil or Dr. Sooneville in Brussells. Can anyone help?
Dx E
on 10/8/07 12:20 pm - Northern, MS
No clue Edward. Maybe drop a line out to the german board? at- http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/german/ or the South American Surgery Board? at- http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/south_american/ Then, there are a few on the DS Forum- http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/a,messageboard/board_id ,5357/ That I believe had there work done in Brazil... Certainly worth a try there...

I did want to also drop an Invitation. It’s great to see other men out here. We make up such a small percentage (12%) Of the people having Weight Loss Surgery, But tend to reach our goal weights quicker and with less Or at least Different hassles than the Gals Due to Male physiology. Drop by the Men’s Message Board And check out what other men like you are going through. It’s a diverse make up of Dads, Singles, Older, younger, etc… Pre-Ops, Post-Ops new and some Old (at Goal) Post-Ops. Lap-Banders, RNY’ers DS, etc… Great bunch of guys with the mutual understanding That WLS for Men can be a totally different Journey. Stop by to add your questions, advice, opinions, and info at- http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/men/

It’s Great to know we’re not so alone, And that there are others pulling for you. Hope to see you ‘Round the Boards! Best Wishes- Dx

Stefanie P.
on 10/8/07 6:33 pm, edited 10/8/07 6:49 pm - Los Angeles, CA
Edward, You've made an excellent choice with the DS.  I had mine just over 6 months ago, and I couldn't be happier with my results. I wanted to invite you over to the DS forum, where you can get lots of answers on all aspects of the DS experience, including info on out-of-country surgeons.  Two others to consider are Dr. Ungson in Mexico, and Dr. Marchesini in Brazil - both excellent docs, and you'll find a number of their patients posting on the DS board. So come on by - we always have cookies! http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/a,messageboard/board_id ,5357/  
STEFANIE    Totally lovin' my DS!!
HW 336/ SW 326/ CW 147/ GW 160   13 lbs. below goal!

Hubba
on 10/9/07 12:16 am, edited 10/9/07 12:17 am - KS
Hi Edward Congradulations on choosing the DS. For me it was the only option too. Stop by the DS forum and talk with people who have went out of country for there surgery. If you are going out of country for your DS there are several highly respected surgeons to choose from. Here are a few from  www.duodenalswitch.com BRAZIL Curitiba

Joao Batista Marchesini, MD, FACS (photo) E-mail: [email protected] Diplomate of American Board of Surgery V.P. of Brazilian Society for Bariatric Surgery Professor of Surgery at Parana University Medical School-Brazil Rua Bruno Filgueira 369 Curitiba, Paraná Phone/fax: 55-41-342-6264 http://www.drmarchesini.com/

* Dr. Alcides Jose Branco Filho E-mail: [email protected] Videolaparoscopy surgery Diplomate of American Board of Surgery V.P. of Brazilian Society for Bariatric Surgery Member of IFSO – Internacional Federation Society for Obesity Av. República Argentina nr. 665 14 andar Curitiba, Paraná Phone/fax: 55-41-3242-6543 www.dralcidesds.com

Praia da Costa

* Dr. Antelmo Sasso Fin (photo) Email: [email protected] or [email protected] Phone/Fax: 011-55-27-3349-9510 Cell:      011-55-27-9982-9051 Av Champagnat, 583 Ed. Newton de Barros, #605/607 Praia da Costa, Vila Velha E.S. BRASIL

MEXICO 

Dr. Gilberto Ungson E-mail: [email protected] Phone: (662) 259 09 65 or 259 0900 ext 1100 Fax: (662) 259 09 67 Cell: 044 662 256 2357 Hospital CIMA Consultorio No. 2, Planta Baja Paseo Río San Miguel No. 35, C.p.83280 Hermosillo, Sonora, México http://www.drungson.com

Hopefully some of the out of towner DSers will show up and fill you in on there out of country experiences

Good Luck and Good Choice

Hubba 
 "Well son, since you don't have any respect for your elders, it's time somebody taught you some respect for your betters!"     John Wayne   
Click the image to Copy the code, then just paste it in a forum thread

!

Elizabeth N.
on 10/9/07 1:16 am - Burlington County, NJ
Hi and welcome! Others will be along shortly who know those surgeons, I'm sure. I'd just like to mention that there is a good economic and surgical option right here in the US, in Scranton, PA. Dr.William Peters. www.cutweight.org , (570)969-2527. Give them a call or fill out the email contact request form on his website, and he'll get back to you in person as soon as possible, often within 24 hours.
edwardb
on 10/9/07 11:36 am - Reisterstown, MD
Thanks Elixabeth. I just called expecting to leave a message and Dr. Peters answered the phone and took my call. I am putting my trip on hold and going to see him in three weeks. The cost is very affordable. He was terrific on the phone. Thanks again.
Elizabeth N.
on 10/9/07 12:45 pm - Burlington County, NJ
I think he's the cat's meow :-). I go into more detail about my experience with him on my profile, and if you'd care to PM me with questions, I'll get back to you as soon as I can.
(deactivated member)
on 10/9/07 3:11 am
Hi Edward!

I had my surgery in Brazil too!  My surgeon was Dr Marchesini -- Awesome experience... I have all the details in my profile if you look back to April of 2006 you can read about it.

I hear great things about Dr Antelmo, but have never heard of Sooneville.  You need to make sure that the surgeon who performs your DS is very experienced and trained under a highly qualified surgeon.  The DS is a much more difficult surgery to perform -- of course, the lifestyle for the patient is SO much easier!  There is a huge learning curve for most surgeons -- you really want your surgeon to have more than 100 surgeries... (I know somebody needs to be #1-99... but not me thanks.)

You may want to come over to the DS board and ask around there for more help and input.  You'll find lots of support there.

Anne S.
on 10/9/07 4:36 am, edited 10/9/07 4:40 am
Hi Edward, I see you are looking into having your DS out of country. There are three surgeons that have been used over and over, and are quite reputable, and their postops post about their experiences often on the DS board. Have you visited the DS board on OH here yet? I'd ask the question you posted over there if possible.  Please take a look at my profile as well, I believe there are a few out of country doctor links on there. (Dr. Baltasar in Spain, Dr. Marchesini in Brazil, and Dr. Ungson in Mexico.) Good luck in whatever surgeon you decide to go with. -anne s.

Learning about the DS? An excellent resource is www.dsfacts.com
For scientific studies about the DS and more, "friend" me, and then click on my profile. Best of luck on your journey.

Isha F.
on 10/9/07 4:44 am

Hi Edward,

I just wanted to give you a warm welcome to "The Fellowship of the Switch".

Isha - I lost 235 pounds EATING NORMAL!  Saavy? Click on my name to find out why I chose the Duodenal Switch Surgery instead. 

isha.jpg picture by leaannjohnson
 Captain Hook: [to Wendy] Didst thou ever want to be a pirate? 

Most Active