"How in the World?" - to get enough Protein?

Dx E
on 10/8/07 1:44 am - Northern, MS
Thought I'd share this... Some Random, yet Perhaps Timely info…. (a lot of Protein questions lately) Someone asked – “How in the World” could someone Get in the amount of protein needed without relying on constant supplements? I thought I’d give a simple/typical- “What Ya’ll Eat Today” answer- I, like many other Post-Ops Eat multiple meals/feedings per my nutritionist’s recommendation. If Your Doc or Nutritionist recommends otherwise- (and there are some that are adamant about 3 “shakes” a day!) Then DO That! But, In answer to “How in the World?”- This is what works for me. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Pre-Breakfast De-Caf Coffee with SlimFastLowCarbVanillaCream as creamer -10gms Protein Breakfast- 1 CarbControlYogurt with Total Protein Cereal and 2 Tbsp Flaxseed Meal -21gms Protein Mid Morning snack- small apple and handful of SoyNutz -12gms Protein Pre-Lunch De-Caf Coffee with SlimFastLowCarbVanillaCream as creamer -10gms Protein Lunch- 6oz Tuna and a boiled egg -51gms Protein Mid-Afternoon Snack- Handful of Soy Nutz and a String cheese -19gms Protein Dinner- 6oz hamburger meatballs with chopped tomato with Textured Vegetable Protein ½ onion and 2 stalks of celery-58 gms Protein Cup of Skim Milk later that evening with bell pepper slices 14 gms Protein ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- That brings me to 195gms of Protein for a Typical Day Even Leaving off any coffee with SlimFast (in case one would view creamer as shake) Still leaves me at an easy 175 gms of Protein a day. And calories? With the Coffee creamer substitute it comes to 2125 A little lower than my goal of 2400. I use a calculator to get my target. http://annecollins.com/calories/calorie-needs-men.htm Obviously there are many days where I have closer to 120gms of protein But generally I’m able to stay above that with no problem. And to this I add Vitamins, Calcium, Iron, B-12 shot every month, And enough water to bath in daily. But no potatoes? Noodles? Rice? Nope. Protein First, then Veggies, then… There are many different daily combinations of foods That get me easily to my Protein goals. I think that the simple Directive that we see every day – Protein First! It’s sort of a core value that will serve one well. At Least, This is what has Worked for Me! “Your Mileage may vary…” How has this “simple idea” Without the Supplement Industry’s Support worked for me thus far? Started at 385lbs, I’ve been at or below goal for over 3 years Without struggle. 183lbs. Perfect Labs, perfect Blood Pressure, Better than Great Cholesterol numbers, etc… Healthier now than I was 20 years ago. Lucky? OH Yeah. Started a bit rougher than most would refer to as lucky.  (profile) And maybe I’ve done well “In Spit Of” my Poor Dietary intake… But, “How can Anyone Get Enough Protein Without Shakes?” Easy! Enough it Seems, To Me…   Best Wishes- Dx

Capricious;  Impulsive,  Semi-Predictable       

Karen The Papaya
Queen

on 10/8/07 2:22 am - somewhere
Hey dude I finally found some of the TVP at my local healthfood store. I added 1/4 a cup to my oatmeal this morning for some extra crunch at an additonal 12 gms of protein.... it was actually quiet tasty..... I wonder if I could just eat it like cereal, hot or cold?  I may have to give it a try. Thanks for the info on it!

Life is tough, but my God is TOUGHER
"There is more to life than increasing its speed.? Gandhi
The Greatest Pleasure In Life Is Doing What People Say You Cannot  Do....

377/331/198/175 Highest/WLS/Current/Goal

Dx E
on 10/8/07 2:39 am - Northern, MS

Karen, I actually use it most in my meatloaf! I soak it in Beef Broth or chicken broth till it swells up And when it’s at the same consistency as the hamburger or Ground turkey, I mix it in with the meat. Adds protein without adding fat. I love the stuff. I’ve also ran it through my blender and added to Cornbread! My son jokes that I sneak protein into EVERYTHING. His house is the only one that has High-Protein Corn Bread with Pinto Beans for dinner. Kroger keeps it in stock, if you have one of those there. Best Wishes- Dx

Most Active