what do i put on the medicalert bracelet

www.canybargirl.com
on 6/13/07 2:45 am
what do i put on the medicalert bracelet and what sites are thay on? sorry about my spelling candace
Belana
on 6/13/07 3:09 am - Apopka, FL
Candace...what surgery did you have? Lapband or RNY?
I saw a post that said first, you don't really need a medic alert bracelet -but- if you do have one put the following:
Adjustable gastric band - no NG tube without endoscope-now that's for a lapband...guess something similar would apply for the RNY...don't know what site to find it but if you google 'medical alert bracelets' you should get a lot of hits....hope this helps!

MyQnA
on 6/13/07 3:25 am
For the RNY I have  NO NG TUBE WITHOUT SCOPE NO NSAIDS I got it from Ebay for very inexpensive.  The actual website for the person I bought it from is www.LazrArt.com you can get it in any color you want I highly recommend and Scouts Honor I have no personal affiliation with this person or this site.   Just found a great buy and wanted to pass it on

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. 

Mechelle Marie
on 6/13/07 3:25 am, edited 6/13/07 3:26 am
My Surgeon said I didnt need one, but they suggested that I put RNY no Blind NG Tube Insertion No NSAIDS But he said after a year or so it wouldnt matter they could do it blind it would be stretched enough.
Mechelle Marie
on 6/13/07 3:28 am
http://www.laurenshope.com/  thats where I was going to get mine from until the dr said i really didnt need to. one of my friends has hemophleia and wears one at all times, so she has several that match different outfits she gets them here
EveningStar
on 6/13/07 3:35 am - AL
type of procedure and date (RNY 4/4/05) name of surgeon NO NGT blood type I went to Hallmark Gifts in the mall. They sell the bracelets very resonable!! Engraving was FREE and I had my bracelet within 4 hours.
Stacie S.
on 6/13/07 3:57 am - Citrus Heights, CA

I actually bought mine thru MedicAlert.  They have some really pretty beaded bracelets now.  Mine says: Roux-N-Y, do not blindly place NG tube, No Aspirin, No NSAIDS Stacie

Love Light and Blessings to you and yours!!  Stacie

DLMoore
on 6/13/07 5:51 am, edited 6/13/07 5:56 am - Wilmington, DE
Posted with the permission of the Original Author (Tek). MEDIC ALERT I believe that Medic Alert bracelets are: 1. Simply a way to draw attention to the surgery, to encourage people to ask about what the person professes to want keep private. "Oh, this?... I've had Gastric Bypass Surgery..."; or 2. Give people the illusion of control over the uncontrollable; Medic Alert Bracelets and Necklaces are intended to speak for you when you are unable to. Thus, it only comes into play when you are UNCONSCIOUS in an EMERGENCY situation. 1. They make it look like jewelry, which emergency personal are NOT looking at for subtle or hidden messages, especially when they are trying to save your life. 2  "No N/G Tube" / "No Blind NG Tube", because if they insert a tube and upon encountering our pouch, FORCE IT, it could to major damage. WRONG. Anyone placing an N/G tube is trained to STOP when they encounter ANY resistance, and specifically NOT to force it. Further, N/G tubes are "virtually NEVER" (Which means extremely rarely, these were the words used by my local ER nurse) administered in emergency situations where the person is unconscious and unknown, as it is rarely a priority to put things into your stomach, which is the purpose of this tube. Further, I've seen the pictures of my pouch... 'pouch' is overstating the concept, so a tube would have to turn a right angle to puncture my pouch, which you must admit is not tube behavior. But that may only explain why my doc thinks them unnecessary, were someone with a different shape might have a different opinion. 3. "No NSAIDs". Yes, this is a HUGE problem, you're lying there unconscious and some EMT is trying to push Aspirin down your throat. 4. "Must Carry Water". Yes, I've seen this. The purpose is so the person can carry their water into movie theatres. Certainly not emergency situations. When I run, I do wear a Dog tag style ID that will speak for me when I can't: XXX (Not my Real Name) LAS VEGAS, NV ALLERGY: PENICILLIN --- Flip Side --- HOME: (702)xxx-xxxx XXX-WIFE: (702)xxx-xxxx (Not her real name either) PARENTS: (702)xxx-xxx This way, if I am unable to speak for myself, the authorities can QUICKLY and EASILY talk to someone who can speak for me. "Better Safe Than Sorry" The reason of last resort, "Its better safe than sorry". IF it is indeed better to be safe than sorry, then we should wear helmets while we drive. We are statistically far more likely to suffer a head injury that could be prevented by a helmet. IF you aren't wearing a helmet, then YOU don't believe its better to be safe than sorry. Medic Alert bracelets are not intended for "Better Safe Than Sorry", they are intended to: 1) Alert emergency medical personnel of a medical condition that may be directly related to the situation they are addressing. Examples: Diabetic Shock, seizures, etc. 2) Alert emergency medical personnel of the potential danger of "normal" procedures. Example: Alergy to "safe" drugs; Horror Stories We've all read horror stories by nurses about such things as a Gastric Tube being forced and almost causing (or causing) injury to a 'normal' patient, imagine the damage to our 'altered intestines'! Think about this... They goofed up by abandoning their training and forcing the tube on the 'normal' person. Based on this experience, normal people should wear Medic Alert Bracelets with "Follow your Training!" on them. Let's face it, Medical people, especially ER people, have seen it all. Yes, terrible things CAN and DO happen. When terrible things happen, no matter how RARE they are, the ER folks are going to see it... Again and Again. They don't see the MILLIONS of people it doesn't happen to. It can skew ones outlook. Horror Stories are effective at moving people. Its difficult to move anyone with "... and everything was OK." Risk and Convenience All day every day we make decisions that involve risk. EVERYTHING involves risk, along with other things such as convenience and probability. Using the Helmet example earlier: Driving in a car has risk, one of which is an accident. The likelihood of an accident is low, but we wear convenient safety equipment like seatbelts (that in many cases are automatic, in other cases it is annoying not to wear them because of alarms). A helmet would add safety. How likely is an accident? Low. Where Seatbelts would help? Lower. Where a helmet would help? Still lower. But is it worth the Inconvenience of hair getting messed up, air circulation? Is it worth looking dorky? Basically, we would rather take that bit of risk for convenience and appearance. It's the same issue for Medic Alert Bracelets. Job 1 Really, all the above is neither here nor there. Weight and weight loss have for many people been a DEFINING factor of their lives. WLS, really, doesn't change that for many people, they've been doing it so long that WLS, weight, weight loss, and hopefully weight maintenance continue to be Job 1. It is more of a mindset issue, the prominence you want your WLS to play in your life. Some people want WLS and eating to be Job 1, like it was pre-op. I want it to play a very little role. UPDATE: OK, I was convinced that I need something to speak for me when I can't, so I looked at the Medic Alert jewelry, and decided on a Necklace: XXX (Not my real name) Allergy: Penicillin RNY Gastric Bypass No NSAIDs – Narcotics Freely Buffet at Childs Price Must carry Water (Continued on Bracelet) AND, a Bracelet: (Continued from Necklace) Do not Force Scope Calcium Citrate Only Must take Vitamins Must use Baby Utensils while eating No Time Released Medications (Except Narcotics) Did I mention the Discount At Buffets? (Continued on Other Bracelet) AND, another Bracelet: (Continued from Bracelet) Don’t tell anyone… my RNY is a secret Watch out for loose skin Must Walk after Surgery NO fluids during meals Protein First May I see the Children's Menu? (See Anklet for more more) AND, an Anklet: (Continued from Bracelet) Its not the easy way! NO DIET SODA Carbs are Evil No Sugar Beware of Noxious Gas "Plateau Buster Diet" Tattooed on Chest (See Necklace for more) After all, If I'm unconscious, I don't want anything left to chance!
Amy Williams
on 6/13/07 6:22 am
I always did love this post.

I've got two anklets, two bracklets, and a necklace.

obmik
on 6/13/07 6:32 am - Realityville, Not SunshineLand, TN
this cracks me up every time...'must carry water'...lololololol!
Kim
302/153/145  Down 149 pounds
Lap RNY: 9/28/06

Most Active