Life Expectancy after WLS

syntymint9
on 3/2/07 6:35 am - capitol of the dairy state!!!!, WI
On a personal level I know that being overweight with high blood pressure almost took me out of this world and I am only 27 years of age. So to that bogus study I turn my head away and hold my nose in the air. I do  not believe that fluff of garbage for one moment. If being overweight can overwork your heart, your arteries, deteriorate your joints, cause you to be dependent on medication, cause kidney failure, numerous cancers (if you were thin, it wouldnt be a factor) and numerous other health problems and can take you from this world at any given moment due to health related complications, how could a surgery that reduces your weight and helps improve your quality of life only add three  years. No way. I didn't have those extra three years when I was fighting for my life last July.  I doubt when I have the surgery and my life improves for the better and I am a more healthier individual will I even worry about my life expectancy because at any given moment I could perish from this earth for reasons that are not even related to weight. I know one thing I would rather go from natural causes or an accident rather than any of the co-morbities I now have present in my life. You will be working on improving your life and the quality of it and enriching your life in so many ways. Your focus will be on enjoying yourself and those around you than wondering about "three little years" **hugs** Shon
Donna P.
on 3/2/07 6:40 am, edited 3/2/07 6:50 am - Eureka, CA
Even IF the quantity of years wasn't hugely increased, chances are the QUALITY of those years will be. I know I am feeling so much better physicaly, I am more acive and have better self esteem.

Anthony Gene my beloved brother 11/8/1957- 2/21/2007
Jalina Laynne angel granddaughter  2/1/2007- 7/4/2007
Michael Anthony beloved grandson 6/13/2007-2/8/2008
God bless and keep you all til we are together again. I love you always and forever!!!!
 highest 263/pre op 233/current 176/goal 150           

Dena W.
on 3/2/07 7:55 am - Tarpon Springs, FL
If it gives me 3 more years or 3 more months or 3 more days, I'll take 'em.  It's still more, right?  Of course, I could die from anything 5 minutes after I make this post before I ever make it to the OR.  Life is full of risks, and none of us knows when our number is due to be up.  I spoke with a lady today who had "stomach stapling" surgery back in 1977.  She said she wishes the medical advances we have now had been available to her back then, and she'd love to have WLS today if she could afford the time off work, insurance premiums, paying for surgery, etc.  She wasn't an old woman, she was relatively young.  Still was willing to go through WLS again, though ... that made me feel a little more confident that I'm making a good decision for myself to go forward with it.  She would do it again!  I want to be saying that 30 years from now, too, to someone else who is preop.
                                                 Dena
See my YouTube vlogs here:  http://www.youtube.com/user/LiLtinee
Add me as a friend on Facebook:    Dena Waskiewicz               
Starting weight:  297 / Goal weight:  140's / Current weight:  138-143
Lap RNY 3/12/2007 ~ Fleur-de-Lis tummy tuck 7/12/2010

AFSPOOH
on 3/4/07 5:58 am - MD
Well that really worries me because I had the surgery when I was 18 and now I am 20. I am sure this is just bogus and not proven medical science.
Most Active