Skin Folds & Sores

Phenomenalfemale
on 1/26/07 1:42 pm - Eagan, MN
Thank you! Megan

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS WORLDWIDE, UNTIL THEY ALL COME HOME !

johanny
on 1/26/07 10:23 pm - Southern, Ky

Hi, I've been using the  Monistat chaffing creme and it works GREAT!!!!. Becca

Phenomenalfemale
on 1/26/07 1:17 pm - Eagan, MN
My goodness! Look what I found!

Yeast Infection in Skin Folds

Intertrigo is a yeast infection of skin folds caused by Candida albicans. In areas of the body that have skin touching skin such as the armpits, groin, and under heavy breasts or fat folds, the environment is warm and moist. This is the perfect environment for Candida albicans, a yeast that is normally found on the skin, to overgrow and cause symptoms. Other factors that can cause intertrigo include:

• Hot, humid weather
  • Tight or abrasive underclothing
  • Poor hygiene
  • Inflammatory skin diseases, like psoriasis, occurring in the skin folds
  • The use of topical steroids

Appearance of Intertrigo Intertrigo is characterized by an intensely red, macerated, glistening rash with scaling on the edges. The edge of the rash extends just beyond the limits of the opposing skin folds. Satellite lesions, small areas of the same rash that are close to the main rash, are characteristic of intertrigo and other Candida skin infections.

Diagnosis of Intertrigo The majority of cases of intertrigo can be diagnosed based on the characteristic appearance. If there is any question about the diagnosis, a KOH test can be performed to detect the presence of yeast. A bacterial culture can help diagnose a secondary bacterial infection.

Treatment of Intertrigo Intertrigo is treated with antifungal creams such as clotrimazole and miconazole. Equally important in the treatment of intertrigo is keeping the skin folds as dry as possible. A drying solution such as Burow's compresses can be applied to the skin folds for 20 to 30 minutes several times a day to promote drying.

Prevention of Intertrigo Most preventative measures involve reducing skin to skin contact and keeping the area dry.

• Weight loss to reduce the size of fat folds
  • Wear loose, soft underclothing
  • Apply antifungal absorbent powder to affected areas daily
  • Wash affected areas with soap and water daily

dakotahmama
on 1/26/07 1:31 pm
This is a really icky topic, but yes...I admit I have had irritation in my creases.  There I said creases in a public place.  Well, as I replied to the other skin problem post a few minutes ago...Gold Bond Powder (green bottle) has worked for me as far as keeping things dry in dark, sweaty and scarey places known as "creases" (wow I said it again--it's getting easier to talk about).  Anyhow, I use it a lot in the summer.  It helps so much.  But wash your hands very very well, because I tell you what...that stuff should never come in contact with mucus (eeew, yuck another gross word) membranes as I learned the hard way.  Best wishes.

HW: 564/SW:515.5/CW:342.2/GW:164/Height: 5' feet
Post-op loss=173.3 lbs ~ Pre-op loss=48.5 lbs ~ Lab Rat Chart

Phenomenalfemale
on 1/26/07 1:42 pm - Eagan, MN

Thanks much, I had no idea...but I am learning quick! I can't imagine being embarassed to ask, though the thought did cross my mind briefly---but I've got to learn about this, so I asked :) I appreciate it.

Megan

dakotahmama
on 1/26/07 1:59 pm
Glad to help and hey, I'm new here but I don't think there is any question too embarrassing to ask on this site and that is what is so great.  In the short time I've been here, people have been talking about poo and all other kinds of bodily fluids.  And now, I finally got to talk about creases too.  :)

HW: 564/SW:515.5/CW:342.2/GW:164/Height: 5' feet
Post-op loss=173.3 lbs ~ Pre-op loss=48.5 lbs ~ Lab Rat Chart

thinkinboutit
on 1/26/07 1:34 pm - Columbia, SC

Zeasorb AF powder, Desonex AF powder can be found at WalMart. Wash, pat dry. Blow dry on cool to dry your skin.  Use the powder twice a day (wash twice a day). Some posters have mentioned taking pictures of the rash for proof later on that you will need plastic surgery because of the sores. Burning, ugly, sometimes goopy. And if pseudomonas is involved, STINKY. Been there, done that, healed fast with Zeasorb AF regimen!

Phenomenalfemale
on 1/26/07 1:44 pm - Eagan, MN
Thank you! I'll look into those powders tomorrow....I am so glad there are options out there.... Megan

Valerie G.
on 1/26/07 1:35 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
You need an antifungal.  Use something for atheletes foot or jock itch.  Tuck some paper towels in the folds to absorb the moisture through the day and you'll see some releif quickly.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Phenomenalfemale
on 1/26/07 1:40 pm - Eagan, MN
Thank you thank you thank you....all good feedback! Megan