Fell right back into old habits! Ugh!

Suzanne H.
on 10/30/06 2:28 am - Warminster, PA
OK, it's time I fess up before this gets way out of hand.  I figure if I tell on myself, just maybe I'll stop??????     I had gastric bypass almost 7 months ago.  The good news is I have lost 75 lbs so far.  I would still like to lose another 100, so I have a ways to go. I just joined a gym 2 weeks ago & I really like it. Now the bad news, I am back to my old habits, overeating, grazing & eating way too many carbs.  I fear I have stretched my stomach way too far already.  I rarely feel sick.  I didn't set out to do this, I can just eat much more than I thought I would be able to.  I can now eat an entire bagel at one sitting.  If I had stuck to what I should be doing , I am sure I would have lost much more.  I am sabatoging myself.  I drink within minutes after I eat.  You name it, I am doing it wrong. Any suggestions on how I get myself back on the band wagon?  What if I have overly stretched my stomach?  Is there any way I can get it to shrink again.  To be honest, I don't even know what I should be eating or how much.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.  You can even lecture if you must.  I know I deserve it!
jujube
on 10/30/06 2:34 am - Loomis, CA
With one step at a time - one no at a time - move back to what you know you are supposed to be doing.  Maybe even start back as if you had just left the hospital - let your pouch shrink and then beyond using the tool- only put on your plate what you should eat.  You can do this - put your pouch back in order and begin to use the tool again - but rely on yourself too.  You have come to far to go back now.  Remember - we are all here for you and if you just want to vent - you can email me directly - I will replay within a short time as I am on my computer several times per day.  I leave it at 7:30 am usually but am back after 2 and then checking it all the time. Prayers
Jujube   Lap - RNY 8/31/06 Kaiser

Tammy Coo Coo Nest
on 10/30/06 2:37 am - tacoma, WA
I am feeling ya sister. I have the same concern. I feel like "Why did I have the surgery if I am going to pull this bs?" I take it one meal at a time and try to make the best choices. Good luck.

20 Months post opp, 152 pounds lost!!!!!!!!!!!!! 15 more to go!!!!!!!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 10/30/06 2:42 am - Kenosha, WI
You are not alone! I can eat almost a whole bagel and I am 10 months out. You are still heading in the right direction, just hitting a few bumps in the road! Start smaller. Get rid of the larger plates. Take smaller cups/bowl/silverware. Play a game with yourself. Take everything you want and put it on that plate. Now with your silverware, put some back or in the garbage. Eat what is on your plate, but take a few moments between bites, between foods, or whatever. You can have carbs, but lets use them as a last resort. Eat as much protein items that you can fit on that plate. Now leave the table or wherever you eat. In 15 minutes, if you are still hungry you can have a 2-3 bites of that carb.. The trick is getting back to moderation. Get back to basics. it may work to go cold turkey (ohh protein!) and just go to the liquid/protein stage, or you may have to decrease the eating slowly. Whatever works. Take it one day at a time, one meal at a time.. evaluate between meals. How did you do at lunch, well, try harder at dinner kind of thing. You are not a failure, but maybe a slow learner (like me!) we just need to keep reinforcing our new learned behaviors! Good Luck
AmandaS
on 10/30/06 3:30 am - Largo, FL
I'm right there with ya!

My Everything, Olivia 11/9/2007

robinsaxton
on 10/30/06 4:13 am - Columbia, MD
I think that so many of us can relate.  I am 7 1/2 months out and really have to pay attention to what I am eating.  I am over the "honeymoon" stage where my pouch won't allow me to overeat or eat the wrong things.  My pouch lets me know when I am getting close to overeating.  Sadly when I eat carbs/sweets I don't feel any effects until about 20 minutes afterward.  But I keep reminding myself that I don't need to eat those things, they aren't to good choices for me.  I talk to myself to remind me of how far I have come.  I even ask myself "you don't want to go back there now do ya?!"  I think we just have to keep the mindset that for life we will work on this.  One day, even one meal at a time.  Write it all down!  That really helps me to truly know what I am eating.   You can do this!  Robin
   Life is great!  Learn to love, laugh and have fun everyday; for each day is a gift from God!!!
272/150 down 122 lbs!!! WOW!!
stephanie24
on 10/30/06 5:20 am - brooklyn, NY
DONT BE SO HARD ON YOURSELF, NO ONE SAID THIS WOULD BE EASY.............I TOO HAVE DAYS WHERE I MAKE BAD FOOD CHOICES.  HOWEVER I DO NOT DEPRIVE MYSELF EITHER I THINK IF YOU DO AND THEN YOU CRAVE IT YOU WILL EAT 3X AS MUCH............  BEFORE MY SURGERY I HAD TO DO A 3 MONTH SUPERVISED DIET PLAN AND MY NUTRITIONIST TOLD ME TO TREAT MYSELF ONCE A WEEK AND BE GOOD THE REST OF THE WEEK AND I DID IT AND IT WASNT HARD YOU MAYBE SHOULD ASK YOUR SURGEON IF YOU CAN DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT. GOOD LUCK AND FEEL BETTER
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Most Active