REPOST: All Pay Heed...

Annalee
on 5/19/06 7:07 am - San Francisco (Marin), CA
Oh GREAT ONE, thank you so much for these rules.  I would be less without them. :-)  I wanna know rule 18 too, but not willing to die, so just let me know if you ever tell for free.  :-)

08/08/02 RNY (334 @ 5'9") --  Current weight = 184 pounds - UP from 160ish due to back surgery 10/2009 (sigh) - still not allowed to exercise!

MZSEYE
on 5/19/06 7:12 am - Splendora, TX
YOU TOLD ME EVERYTHING EXCEPT WHEN I COULD HAVE SEX OR IS THAT RULE # 18. LOL THANKS THOUGH REALLY MAKES SENCE.

~~PAM~~
JULY 26, 2006  I AM  LoserA LOSER!!!!
PRE-OP 248 ~DAY OF SURGERY 233 ~AS OF NOW 180~ TOTAL 68#S

Cyndi M.
on 5/19/06 7:16 am - KY
hellooooooooooo Tek, I just wanted to pop in and say hi goood to see ya. Hope you have a wonderful weekend

AnnB
on 5/19/06 7:19 am - Pooler, GA
What's the deal with NSAIDs?  Does this mean if I have this surgery, I won't be able to take my arthritis meds?
(deactivated member)
on 5/19/06 7:25 am - XX
Pretty much, Ann. But, I can tell you, you won't need them as much and when it's bad, plain ol' Tylenol will work wonders.
MercyAngel
on 5/19/06 7:55 am - Hanover, PA

Unfortunately, not being able to take ibuprofen is hard for me.  I have fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis, and ibuprofen was the only thing that helped my pain.  My rheumatologist has put me on Ultram, but it still does not help as much as ibuprofen did.  Tylenol Arthritis does practically nothing for my pain. 

Someone posted a few wks ago, that it's okay to take liquid ibuprofen and gel tabs, but I don't know how true this is...anyone know?  I assume they wouldn't be as hard on your pouch, but still could be somewhat bad. 

*~*MercyAngel a.k.a. Rose Mary*~*

Open RNY 10-26-05
272/190/147    FINALLY in ONEderland!!!

(deactivated member)
on 5/19/06 8:41 am - Las Vegas, NV

You should speak to your medical team.

(Cut and Paste from my Profile):

There is no study that shows or indicates that NSAIDS are any more or less dangerous for recovered WLS post-ops than for Non-Ops. For everyone, NSAIDS can cause ulcers and decrease in prostaglandin production resulting from the inhibition of cyclooxygenase. Gastric ulcers affect about .92% of the population (just less than 1 in 100 people). NSAIDS are believed to be responsible for about 25% of these. So NSAIDs induced ulcers AFFECTS less than 1 in 400 people. 1 in 10,000 people actually die from ulcers, so 1 in 4 of those deaths (or 1 in 40,000 total) from ulcers could be attributed to an ulcer caused by NSAID use. The greatest risk of developing an ulcer occurs during the first 3 months of NSAID use; thereafter, the risk decreases but continues to be present. Proton pump inhibitors, such as Prilosec, Prevacid, Aciphex, and possibly other agents offer protection against the damage done by NSAIDs.

(deactivated member)
on 5/19/06 7:24 am - Las Vegas, NV

You should speak to your medical team about this.

Some Docs don't want post-ops taking NSAIDS as they are hard on the tummy, and inhibit some mucus production, making ulcers a possibility.

It is a matter of some controversy here abouts.

AnnB
on 5/19/06 8:38 am - Pooler, GA
Thanks.  I don't have a surgeon yet.  I'm still in the research phase.  I can tell you, tho, if they tell me no anti-inflammatories, that will knock the surgery right out.  Weight loss isn't going to help the arthritis in my hands and they are very painful. 

Be who you are and say what you feel,
cause those who matter don't mind 
and those who mind don't matter.    
.....Dr Seuss
(deactivated member)
on 5/19/06 9:01 am - Las Vegas, NV

Don't take this the wrong way.  Noting that I have several times to discuss this with your medical team.  Do your own research.  I cut and pasted some information from my profile on another response, so I won't do it again.

Remember, your surgeon, your doctor, your medical team are CONSULTANTS.  YOU are responsible for your health, and the medications you take or don't take ultimately are your choice.  Research and make your own informed decission.

Also, if it hasn't happened already, some DS (Duodinal Switch) person will reply that DSers can take NSAIDs.  I'm not sure that is a good reason to choose DS, but it certainly might be a consideration.

Most Active