Anyone with Migraines...Help? OFF TOPIC

Randall Culpepper
on 7/16/11 7:50 am - Guntersville, AL
My daughter Allison has had migraines for 10 years now.  They have given her every pill you can think of and nothing helps but the shots.  She is going to a Nuerologist this week.  

What I wanted to ask you with migraines is this......  Does something seem to bring them on at more times than others?  She has had 3 this month.  Never had this many before.  They have done a CT Scan of her head and it shows nothing abnormal.  Thanks for your input.  I know this is off topic.  

For every Goliath, there is a Stone! His name is Jesus!"
       coffeefirst.jpg image by jrcpepper

(deactivated member)
on 7/16/11 9:37 am - Midland City, AL
 I have had them since I was in my very early teens.  I took every pill known to man.  I finally gave up and listened to my neurologist  (I know see Dr Sher Ghori in Enterprise) and take Topamax daily.  I had to get controlled with the attacks by using first Imitrex injections then switching to the pill form.  I finally learned to take it at the FIRST TWINGE of pain instead of trying to stretch them out.  It took playing with the dosage and medication but the combination of Imitrex and daily Topamax works for ME.  It doesn't work for everyone.

Different things trigger each of us.  For me it is pouporri and cologne.  I also get them with sudden change in weather.  Also emotional stress can be a trigger.  Also with young ladies " that time of the month" can be a trigger.

Best thing is to find a neurologist that understands TEENS,

Hand in there Daddy.  You will make it and so will Allison 

Randall Culpepper
on 7/16/11 11:27 am - Guntersville, AL
 Thanks so much!!  We are going to see Dr. Kaserwani in Ozark asap.  He was good with me after my accident and with my neuropathy.  We have heard of the topomax daily pill.  Imitrex didn't help.  I hope he has a clue and can help her.  I can't stand to see her in so much pain nor getting those shots.  They knock her out for 24-32 hours!!

I appreciate you!

You are SO right!!  WE ARE GOING TO MAKE IT!! :-)  God bless.

Louise A.
on 7/16/11 11:48 am - Anniston, AL
Could it possible be related to TMJ?   My daughter had migraines and has to wear a mouth peice ever night.  She also goes to chiropractor for adjustments.   Hope you find  some help soon I know how bad she has hurt.
Randall Culpepper
on 7/17/11 1:10 pm - Guntersville, AL
 That IS possible.  She has had TMJ. Allison did the Chiro and it helped for a while.  Thank you so much Louise.  God bless and good to talk to you.  Be blessed.  

(deactivated member)
on 7/16/11 12:12 pm - Midland City, AL
 Imitrex doesn't help Bob either.  The key to it all is first gettin under control then taking the meds faithfully to stay in control.   Louise has a good point about TMJ.  Many people have it and do not even realize it.  Worth checking on.

I know one thing--If I sleep on a real thin pillow I will get a migraine.  I have to sleep on two pillows and the top one is a floppy one.  I tuck it under my neck for support.  

staceymc00
on 7/20/11 4:21 am - Slocomb, AL
Dr Kesserwani is excellent. Many people get good relief from Topamax, i could not tolerate it. I had gotten to the point of having at least 1/wwe****il my Dr. put me on Propanolol. I take it every morning, and have RARE headaches. a simple medicine that has made my life much better! Hope all goes well with your daughter.

(deactivated member)
on 7/20/11 11:41 am
My hubby in on Topamax to help with the occular migraines he gets with his MS. It helps a lot but he has pins and needles. My oldest son has migraines and is on Propananol daily and so far he's only had a few migraines (usually caused by stress).

In the past Axert worked for my migraines (other meds did not work) but when one hits most times I use a cold compress on my forehead, a muscle rub on my neck, excedrin with coffee.

I hope you guys get some answers! It is not fun seeing your child hurt.

Noel
Elle Felts
on 7/20/11 7:46 pm - TUSCALOOSA, AL

Kyle has terrible migraines.  Not much seems to help, but they give him the Imitrex pills for the onset of a migraine but sometimes they come on so fast he can't get one quick enough to help.  He is now taking Depacote and Amitriptolyne (sp) daily.  It has seemed to help this go round as he has taken these drugs before but not in comination with each other.  He's tried EVERYTHING it seems.  The chiropractor does help, but he has such limited time working two jobs that he has a hard time getting there.  Bless him, he will only go when he is in terrible pain but needs to be going on a regular basis.  I hope they find out what's causing Allison's headaches.  I know just how bad they can be.  God bless and take care of that sweet baby girl.  I KNOW YOU ARE!

Most Active