How Much Iron Were You Told You Needed Daily?

Freewheeler
on 6/20/24 3:47 pm

Greetings,

I live in Canada, so things may be different from US recommendations - but after having the sleeve a year ago, I was told that 2 multivitamins a day with no less than 9mg of iron was all I need.

I have a slight iron deficiency with blood work I had done and looking into it online - it seems some patients are required to take a separate iron supplement in addition to a multivitamins. It just seems to be random depending on where you have your surgery.

My doctor isn't that concerned, but I have noticed some hair fall/thinning - so I am assuming it is the iron deficiency even if slight and so I am kind of freaking out about it. Going to a dermatologist to see what they have to say.

So I was just curious to get some feedback here. Are you just taking multivitamins or additional iron on top of that?

Thank you.

FW

Grim_Traveller
on 6/21/24 5:13 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I forget how much I was initially told to take. But at a year and more out from surgery, that initial recommendation is pretty much moot. Have bloodwork done, as you did, and adjust as you go. You obviously need to add more iron. Many also need extra B12, D3, and calcium as well. Did they check all your B vitamin levels? Hair loss is much more likely to be a deficiency in one or more of those than iron.

Even non-surgical folks run into vitamin and iron deficiencies. Do yearly testing, and adjust accordingly.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
Recent Topics