Exercise and Hunger Increase (strategies?)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/15/19 9:40 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I experience this sometimes, and it's most often if I don't have something good before my workout. Even though the best general strategy after WLS is "high protein, low carb," I have the best luck with some slow-burning carbs before a LONG workout. For days when I do a long swim (2000m+) or bike ride (20mi+), I eat half a container of overnight steel-cut oats made with protein shake instead of milk, or half of a whole-grain English muffin with peanut butter-- something that will stick with me.

I also tend to get that ravenous feeling if I'm not properly hydrated. Drinking lots is good, and I've recently started using electrolyte tabs (Nuun) which seem to help a lot.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

kodomezhow06
on 10/18/19 12:53 pm - KY

Reevaluate and identify any processed carbs/sugars you may be ingesting. Your goal is to keep insulin low so that your body is in fat burning mode. When the recognizes glucose ins in your system, insulin is released and your basically stops burning fat. In fact it begins to store fat. So you may need to up protein/good fat intake. By doing this the body will maintain a more balanced approach to metabolizing and you won't be going up and come down crashing and feeling hungry again. With protein on board it takes longer for the body to metabolize; won't be hungry longer. And it's ok to exercise while your in that fasting mode. Believe me the body has enough fat stored in your liver and muscle cells that you will he ok. Push water and change up exercise routine. Body has great muscle memory so change it up.

Most Active
Recent Topics