Sleep Apnea..... Need to treat before surgery? Any one have this same situation

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/8/19 7:59 am
RNY on 08/05/19

While it can be a little awkward to get used to sleeping with a mask on your face, the honest truth (from what I've seen on many years of OH) is that people get TREMENDOUSLY better sleep on a CPAP. I'm a stomach sleeper and used a CPAP prior to WLS, and I even found a way to sleep on my side/stomach with the correct pillow and mask.

To be honest, what you "want" to do here and what you're "down for" are pretty irrelevant. Untreated sleep apnea can have fatal consequences, and your surgeon's office is looking out for your well-being.

True story: I was on a CPAP at time of my VSG, but somehow the machine didn't make it to the OR for me to wear during surgery. They flipped on the anesthesia, I got knocked out, and I very nearly had a stroke less than ten minutes in because of the sleep apnea; it took them nearly two hours to get me stable and I very well could have died. This is no joke.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Round_Tiger
on 8/11/19 6:45 am
VSG on 07/09/19

Absolutely. The risk of sleep apnea is stroke. My elderly father refused to wear a mask at night. He had bad apnea. And guess what, he had a series of mini-strokes in his old age that eventually skyrocketed his dementia. That's not something I would play around with.

I have gotten to the point that I simply cannot enjoy so much as a nap without wearing my mask. I've long since gotten used to it (going on 7 years of using it). I brought mine with me to the hospital as I knew I would be on my back in the bed. It definitely helped!

Since I've lost weight, I've already had to bump the pressure down. You can do this yourself, btw. There are YouTube videos that show you how to unlock the settings without having to pay a $20 copay to have a doctor press two buttons and make an adjustment. Or worse yet, charge you $1,000 for a sleep study to determine that you need 3-4 less cm/H20.

Most Active
Recent Topics