Fever/Headache Post-op

CStamey
on 6/25/19 6:06 am

Husband sleeved 6/21. Was supposed to be discharged 6/22 but kept till 6/23 due to weakness, uncontrolled pain, not able to drink or walk enough, and not peeing (despite having IV). Got home at 1pm. By 5 he had a 101.3 fever with chills, heart racing, and headache. Talked to surgeon. Said to go to ER, then changed his mind to give him Tylenol and go to ER if temp still above 100.5 or HR above 110. We've barely been able to keep it at/below those parameters. He has an alarm set to drink 1 oz. liquid every 30 min. Still getting headaches and temp between 100 - 100.5. He's still so weak too. Anyone have this happen? Dehydration? Told him to increase fluids to 2 oz. every 30 minutes today since surgeon had said goal was 4-6 oz./hour but the hospital had said 1 oz./30 minutes. Suggestions? I just don't like that 3 1/2 days post-op he's fighting a fever. His biggest complaint is the nagging headache.

Vanvooh
on 6/25/19 11:50 am

This inst good. I would not listen to the surgeon and go to the ER anyway. Better safe than sorry. Hope he starts to feel better soon

White Dove
on 6/26/19 5:47 am - Warren, OH

It is a long time ago, but I remember sipping one ounce of water every ten minutes for the first week. So six ounces per hour was what I had during the daytime. I kep****er next to my bed and sipped during the night if I woke up. It is very important not to get dehydrated.

I second going to the emergency room. They might do an IV of fluids. It is alarming to me that he is not urinating and that he has a fever. Please keep us informed of how he is doing.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/26/19 9:18 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If he's still running a fever, I would be very concerned about infection. I am not a doctor, but I would head to the ER just to play it safe.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

CStamey
on 6/27/19 5:37 am

Thanks y'all! He's doing better. Constantly sipping. Started back on BP meds. Temp running 99.5-100.1. If he still has low grade temp today, we'll call the surgeon again. Just don't understand why he still has it unless it's from dehydration.

Most Active
Recent Topics