Struggling with eating healthy & exercising before VSG

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/28/19 8:58 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I agree with what has already been said!

There are lots of aids for stopping smoking, which must be really really hard. I know people who've had very good luck with Chantix as well as nicotine patches. My state has a government-funded tobacco cessation program where you can get patches or medication for free, maybe you have something like that in your area?

I also second the recommendation for water exercise! I love swimming, it's really easy on your joints, and the resistance helps build muscle. If you feel awkward in a swimsuit, you can buy swim shorts and a rash guard (a shirt made of swim material) and it can help if you're body conscious. Amazon has some nice ones, and I actually saw some really cute ones in the newest Woman Within catalog.

It sounds like you really have good reasons for having surgery, just make sure to remind yourself of them when things get rough. I had a baby after surgery and he's now a toddler, and I'm SO incredibly glad I can be more active and chase him around and be healthy for him!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

ScaleSkater
on 5/28/19 10:41 am

Exercise is great, but really isn't required. Don't let those fall backs take away from the big picture of attacking the weight loss and smoking. The exercise is more of a reaffirmation to yourself about focus and helping to clear your head of all the stress and daily issues. That said, find something that you enjoy - maybe as simple as small games with your child. How about rolling a ball back and forth or other simple activity. I started with the pool for many of the same reasons you stated. I've had some PS for skin and have had to go back to the pool to rebuild strength. If it's available that's a great way to start. Also something you can share with your son (if the pool is public). Once you can generate some activity, your back may strengthen and allow more activity. Keep it simple and fun.

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

nevermore71
on 5/28/19 6:20 pm
VSG on 01/08/18

I agree with the others about Chantix for the physical addiction. Also I used Allen Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking book and found it incredibly helpful for the psychological addiction. I quit about years ago. Using both together is helpful. Start them both at the same time as it takes about a week before you actually quit smoking.

The medical weight loss stuff is just jumping through hoops for the insurance. If you're having a hard time with it, just do the minimal needed to get through. It's just important that you appear to be doing it. Not contingent on your success at doing it. Because really if we were successful dieters we wouldn't really need the surgery. But be sure to do the surgeons requirements right before surgery to shrink your liver.

KayLaw4170
on 5/28/19 6:59 pm
VSG on 10/10/19

That's really good advice thank you! And so true, if I could lose the weight to begin with I surely wouldn't be trying to get surgery. This is a last resort sort of thing.

Most Active
Recent Topics