I'm stuck.

Cherokeeprez
on 4/7/19 6:32 am

So...had my vsg. Was in the hospital 3 days due to dehydation...aside from that everything went well. Today starts week 4 post op. And I'm stuck with my weight. For the last week I've stayed 251-250...I don't understand why. I track everything and basically eat the same thing each day. Breakfast is a premier protein shake...160 calories. Lunch is a half a can of some kind of soup with veggies in it. Those are 120-170 calories. Dinner is another protein shake with the other half of the soup or veggies. My snack through the day is cheerios which in total for the day is 300. Once in a while a plain graham cracker or a single fudgesicle. So my calorie range on average is 900-1100...A bit high on the carb side, I know. This week I plan to phase out the cheerios for egg or fish. This week I'm allowed to start eating lean meats, no red meat for 6 months and no raw fruits and veg for two. I walk every day with my husband that it isn't raining. But, the numbers aren't moving and I'm frustrated. I could use some input if anyone has advice or tips.

Pobearsam7
on 4/7/19 6:41 am

Hi I no longer eat cearl from the store

they have protein cereal in small bags

i order mine through bariatric source I think or you can google bariatric cereal and usually a couple of different online places come up

try to keep your carbs down low too

Kelly                

Pobearsam7
on 4/7/19 6:43 am

Try not to weigh yourself everyday

the scale likes to play mind games

pick a day to do it once a week and try to wear the same clothes each time

also sometimes we lose inches when the scale is not moving don't get too discourage

Kelly                

catwoman7
on 4/7/19 7:23 am
RNY on 06/03/15

almost everyone has their first stall during the first month post-op. It's usually (but not always) during the third week, so we call it "the three week stall". Do a search on it - you'll find thousands of posts on it. Just stick to your program and the weight will start dropping again. I had mine during weeks 2 and 3. Week 4 my weight loss started up again - I dropped like 6-8 lbs almost overnight once it started up again.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

catwoman7
on 4/7/19 7:25 am
RNY on 06/03/15

oh yes - and do punt the Cheerios. They're too high in carbs and not full of the nutrition you need. Focus on protein...and fluids, of course.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Pobearsam7
on 4/7/19 8:21 am

There is also protein pudding too that is low in carbs maybe 4 carbs

the good thing about protein pudding is that if you use the instant kind all you do is add water and it makes a small amount and I think it has 2 grams of sugar or less

i have not eaten regular cereal since post op and it's been close to 7 yrs but I will do protein cereal that comes individual packs

Kelly                

Kristi T.
on 4/7/19 9:30 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

Welcome! Sounds like you have experienced the "3rd week stall" during your 4th week. I believe I experienced my first stall around that time too. Your plan of stopping the cheerios and increasing your protein with lean meats, fish and eggs will make all the difference. Keep up with your surgeon's plan and get at least 64oz of fluids. By week 4 I was up to 82oz, this will help a lot as well. Keep coming back to OH, join the menu threads to see what others are eating:-)

Cherokeeprez
on 4/7/19 10:52 am

Thanks everyone for the input. The cheerios are going away. I was eating them...One because it was considered ok by my doctor and two they didn't upset my stomach. As I was trying new things some stuff just didn't settle well. I'm doing good with fluids. First week out was a struggle...for the most part I'm hitting 70oz a day. I actually forgot about the three week stall most have. I recall reading about it now that it's been mentioned so I appreciate the reminder. This week I will also begin working on getting more protein via food instead of shakes. Hopefully this stall gets over with quickly. Thank you every one.

Grim_Traveller
on 4/7/19 12:05 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

As others advised, ditch the cheerios and crackers. They are just wasted calories. Same goes for the soup. It's just not the kind of nutrition you need right now. If it's not protein, your body really doesn't need it. And, soup is super high in salt, so it might be making you retain water.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 4/12/19 9:26 am
VSG on 03/21/19

I'm in the same boat as you. Sleeved on March 21st so just starting my fourth week today and haven't lost any weight in the last two weeks. As others have said, it's that elusive 2-3 week stall. Week 1 I lost 5lbs and was expecting the same each week but was disappointed. We're so new on our weight loss journey we need to be patient and do as our surgeons have instructed. Good luck to you and here's hoping we have good news on the scale next week ð?'

Most Active
Recent Topics