Carbonated beverages

Barbiesattic
on 2/25/19 11:47 am
VSG on 05/30/17

I love diet red bull but some say carbonated drinks can stretch the stomach? is this true? Been drinking it since I had the surgery 2 years ago and no issues, Thanks in advance

Gwen M.
on 2/25/19 2:06 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Nope, this is not true. Gas will exit through a sphincter. It won't explode your stomach unless maybe you do the pop rocks thing ;)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/25/19 2:41 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I've not seen any research showing that carbonation can stretch your pouch. Some people find that it gives them very bad gas, though, so you might want to avoid it.

I personally skipped everything carbonated until about 9 months out, when my surgeon gave me the OK to try some diet coke if I let it go half-flat. I still had some gas trouble, so I waited a bit longer to have any soda.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

mmsmom
on 2/26/19 4:21 am - Woburn, MA

When I got the lapband in 2007, soda was a hard no, so I gave it up then. It really has no redeeming value, so I never picked up the habit again. If I do have a sip, it really makes me feel full, so I just don't. I have not been instructed either way from my doctor. Also I know some people are told not to drink with straws or to chew gum. I do both of them with no adverse reaction.

VSG on 04/28/2014

Kristi T.
on 2/26/19 9:51 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

I love Diet Coke, but like mmsmom, it makes me feel full. No, carbonation won't stretch your stomach:-)

(deactivated member)
on 2/27/19 7:41 am
VSG on 10/24/18

I re-introduced carbonated water (aka Perrier, or some other name-brand) around 2 months post-op. I told my nutritionist and she said to try to hold off on it for the reason that it will make me full and will leave less opportunity to take in more nutrient rich foods. And that no, it does not stretch your stomach.

I still drink it once in a while (I'm 4 months post op).

Liz J.
on 2/27/19 9:46 am
DS on 11/29/16

Wow... So glad I lurk around. I was just told again last night that it was a "NO GO!" at our monthly support group. Hummm... I've only had maybe 1/2 a one twice in the last two years. It's not that I miss it, it's I'd like the option once in a while for when we go out as I don't really drink at all. Think I might pick up a can and see how I do, wish me luck.

Liz

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

jdekost81
on 3/2/19 3:53 pm
VSG on 04/05/19

I was a 7-8 cans a day of Diet Coke kinda girl until I started going through the approval process and I have since given that up and caffeine ****il after surgery/and I'm healed.). I have a can every couple of weeks right now and I think that after I get close to my goal weight, I might do that again. I have no desire to ever poison my body with so much diet Coke ever again. :)

renjenn
on 3/20/19 1:28 pm

The first thing my dietician said was no carbonation.

It takes up room in the stomach that you need to get protein and water. At least I think that's the excuse. It wasn't hard to give up. I was a multi-can diet coke user as well.

MLC45
on 3/21/19 7:39 pm

I've been to multiple offices (different states) that have told me soda is a huge No-No. Last week I was told that the carbonation bloats the stomach which makes you full, so you don't eat as much food. Then as the gas leaves, you are hungry sooner because you ate less food in the beginning, which typically causes you to graze in between meals, therefore more calories. Whether that theory is true or not I don't know, but that was the most recent one I've heard.

Most Active
Recent Topics