Is VSG really worth it?

MotivatedToFit
on 2/15/19 2:28 pm

Thank you. I wish luck to you as well on your journey. This site is great and seems like a good place for support and information. I hope you get approved.

Pure_Prairie
on 2/15/19 5:15 pm
VSG on 01/10/19

I have had some hormone & thyroid (had low thyroid pre - op) issues but I am closer to menopause than not so I think that played a big part.

As soon as I let my WL surgeon's office know about the hormone issues they referred me the same day to an endocrinologist, so they were on top of possible side effects. Which might be a great question for any surgeons you meet with. "If there are possible side effects do they prefer a wait and see approach OR make outside referrals as warranted?"

I had a hiatal hernia that was discovered and repaired during WLS, so that was a huge help with the GERD I had suffered for years. In the hospital I was closely monitored for blood clots and that is also why they encourage you to start walking asap.

I have so much respect for doing your due diligence and advocating for your health, I think if you do choose WLS you stand a higher chance of success because you went in well educated on the risks/rewards.

HW: 183 Pre-Op: 171 Post WLS Month 1: 149 Month 2: 141 Month 3: 133

Surgeon's goal: 128 My Goal: 118

gh438
on 2/17/19 4:58 am, edited 2/16/19 8:59 pm
VSG on 10/18/18

I know I'm only 3 months out so take it for what it's worth but YES!!!!! It is totally worth it. I've been doing good on my weight loss and I just had labs done last week and everything came out great. The most important thing to me though is how I feel. Every day feels like a new beginning. It's the most amazing feeling. From that aspect alone I would say it is worth it.

The journey is not an easy one but its one you don't have to travel alone. No matter what obstacles get thrown in your path along the way always remember why you're on the journey.

Surgery Date: 10/18/2018

6'1" Male

HW: 471. SW: 459 (post). GW: 225

(deactivated member)
on 2/27/19 6:51 am, edited 2/26/19 10:52 pm
VSG on 10/24/18

I second the whole "I feel awesome" benefit. I haven't felt this great both mentally and physically in YEARS. I am more confident, more energized, and less stressed.

I have been off my blood pressure since day after surgery, and off the cholesterol meds 3 weeks after surgery. I don't snore anymore, I can sleep the entire night without waking up, my feet/back/neck don't hurt anymore, I don't pee every 30 minutes anymore, I don't sweat from the slightest movement anymore, I don't hide from cameras anymore, I could go on and on....

My relationship with food has completely changed, and I think pre-surgery, this worried me a little, mostly about "missing out", but turned out it was just that: a worry. That worry was from the perspective of a person with a less healthy viewpoint. Once my perspective changed, the worry was moot.

Like most, I wish I did this sooner (or not gained all the weight in the first place, but whatevs, same end result :)

Good Luck!

P.S. At the beginning of the pre-op diet, I was looking to lose 105lbs. I've lost about 75 at time of this writing.

(deactivated member)
on 2/18/19 12:55 pm

My only regret is that I didn't do it years ago. But it's not just the tool. I wasn't ready, years ago, to chance my life and change what I ate. My LapBand was less successful than it could have been (55lbs or 30% excess) because I ate whatever I wanted a D let the band sort out portions. That strategy wasn't a winning one in the end.

Now, I'm ready to really change my food. I barely eat any of the things I used to eat to distance myself from a lifetime of less nutritious food choices.

Good luck

Most Active
Recent Topics