Please some words of encouragement for VSG pain

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/15/19 8:01 am

I did not have VSG - but any abdominal surgery can cause long term discomfort and pain. Some people would be fine taking one Tylenol per day, others may need a few weeks to feel their best. Whatever you do - hydration is critical. Change what you drink, the taste, temperature, the smell. Some people love love ice cold, or popsicle, while others red warm or even hot.

Chicken stock, or bone broth can help to provide good minerals. And salt. Surprisingly I needed more salt than most during my recovery from any surgery. From nice warm strained chicken soup, to bone broth, or beef broth - the warmed and smell was really great for me. In warmer times (sumner) I found diluted dill pickles "juice" tasted great. Now if you asked me to try it - I would look funny at you, but there was time I drank the "juice" and tossed the pickles. My body needed the extra salt and acid.

Hot tea is something that I often crave in winter months. Green tea with ginger is one of my favorite at times. Or just nice warm black tea. Right after surgery I was not allowed caffeine, so I drank good decaffeinated tea and coffees. Anyway I could makes sure to get hydration in me was a bonus.

Missing a few oz of hydration every day may cause long term dehydration. It is not the liquids but the electrolytes that can cause major issues. Magnesium, potassium, calcium, and salt. We need proper balance of the minerals.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

TheWombat
on 1/20/19 8:29 am
VSG on 06/11/18

Hot tea is a good suggestion. And peppermint tea may help with both the upset stomach and the gas.

Most Active
Recent Topics