Burping after VSG

MGal
on 12/13/18 6:21 am
VSG on 12/07/18

Hello everyone. I am six days postop from VSG with hiatal hernia repair and have quite a bit of gas that I can pass by burping.

My husband had VSG with hiatal hernia repair last year and to this day he is still very rarely is able to burp.

Is it normal to be able to burp so easily for me?

I am also wondering if you can share what your postop recovery time period was like. That is, how long did it take before you felt mostly like yourself again?

Gwen M.
on 12/13/18 6:31 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Everyone is different. :) Walking should help to get the gas out of your system. You might also be sucking in air when you drink - drinking with a straw can help with that.

"how long did it take before you felt mostly like yourself again?" is such a weird question, but one I see asked often. Why do I think it's weird? Because I can't honestly say that I've ever "felt like myself again." Which is a good thing, since the reason I got this surgery was to change!

I think you really want to know "how long did it take until you felt like a mostly functional human being?" ;)

I felt mostly decent after a few days at home, once I stopped the pain meds. I still got tired really easily for a few more weeks, but I was outside walking as soon as I got home from the hospital and I think that helped with my energy levels - fresh air and sunshine and movement.

I had a very easy VSG recovery in general, though.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

malkee
on 12/13/18 8:31 pm
VSG on 10/25/18

It is seven weeks today since my surgery and I still don't feel "like my old self" again. I never got headaches before surgery, I'm struggling with one tonight. On the other hand, I am 58 years old. I bet you are younger than that. So your age and your general physical condition is going to play a big role in how you feel.

I had a hard time with the anesthetic, but no complications from the surgery. I've read somewhere it takes three to six months to recover fully from surgery, so I'm not that concerned.

Height: 5'3"

HW - 327

SW-272

CW - 243

GW -140

Surgery date: 10/25/18

MGal
on 12/15/18 11:50 am
VSG on 12/07/18

Thank you for your responses. I very much look forward to getting my staples removed on Monday they are pretty much the only thing causing me pain at the moment.

I do find it I'm still fairly tired with much activity. I went back to work and when I got home slept soundly all night long. I don't think I even moved one bit, LOL.

I am 42 and in good health other than the fact that I let my weight get as high as I did. I'm very grateful God blessed me by keeping comorbidities from my weight from becoming any kind of issue.

I look forward to seeing where this journey takes me.

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/18 7:20 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 09/18/17

I burped A LOT after my surgery and for a few months afterwards. I still burp more than I did before (in the absence of carbonation), but they're tiny burps and not much of a bother.

Most Active
Recent Topics