Post op emotions...

K. B.
on 11/28/18 7:18 pm
VSG on 11/19/18

Hi OH. I got sleeved 11/19/18. I had my first post op today, and I am down 11 lbs. Woohoo! Although I am so happy about my decision to live a healthier lifestyle, I have found myself feeling immensely overwhelmed. Let me give some background:

I am a 24 year old that recently finished my MBA. Graduation is in less than a month, and I am due to start my new job in the matter of a few days. I have also accepted an offer for my "dream job", but it will not begin until Summer 2019. I was working a part time position before surgery, and I will continue to work that position and my new position for a few weeks. My Bariatric team originally thought I wouldn't be getting sleeved until August 2019, so a lot of these things had already been set in motion (excluding my Summer offer, I literally went to interview just as my pre op diet was beginning). I have been trying to take everything in stride, because I don't physically ache. But my mind seems to be taking the hardest hit.

I found a therapist during my pre op process that I discuss these things with, but now with my upcoming hectic schedule, I am nervous that even that will overwhelm me. I feel like I know the answer, but -- am I simply doing too much? Or is it good to push myself after surgery and jump right in to a new routine? I don't want to completely slow down and get complacent, and I also don't want to massively overdo it.

Thanks to to anyone who has read thus far. I know I'm all over the place.

Xo

Gwen M.
on 11/29/18 5:42 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I feel like I can relate to all of this - my life has been GO GO GO since WLS. But... I've got so much more energy since WLS, so it has pretty much all worked out. I definitely get the fear of being overwhelmed and, well, sometimes I am overwhelmed. I rely on lists a lot to help set my priorities. I make a list every night before I go to bed to figure out the following day and then I have some long term lists too, so that I don't lose sight of things. The Bullet Journal method (you can google it) helped me a LOT. (Now I use to do lists on my calendar app.)

It's great that you're seeing a therapist. :)

I've got a lot going on in my life and I'm pretty much always busy these days. A few months ago I sort of had this huge epiphany of "You know what, Gwen, you'll always be super busy. So instead of putting things off until you're not busy, since that will never happen, just do those things now anyway." This helped me realize that I still need to make time for friends and "fun" stuff, even if it means some days might be a bit more hectic as a result.

That said.. people tell me that finishing school and starting work will help a lot, since there won't be any homework :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

K. B.
on 11/29/18 6:07 am
VSG on 11/19/18

Omg! I'm so happy someone can relate. I lost everything like crazy too. Reminders are my best friend lol. I will definitely look up The Bullet Journal method.

Finishing achool has has been a blessing, I can't imagine doing all of this and still working on presentations /case studies! I guess I just need to "woosah" and take it one step at a time.

Thanks a bunch Gwen

TheWombat
on 11/29/18 12:10 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

In an ideal world, you would take a month to recover before you start a new job, but you can handle this. My advice is to expect to be fatigued for the first few weeks, and prepare accordingly. Think of things you can do to make your life outside of work as easy as possible. This would be a good time to spend a little money to conserve your energy, if you can afford it. For example, you might get someone in to clean your house once or twice, or purchase precooked dishes. Get extra sleep. Postpone errands, or ask friends to help you. Prepare a few meals ahead of time so you don't have to cook much the first week. Don't plan anything in the evening for the first few weeks, because you may not have the energy.

K. B.
on 11/29/18 3:14 pm
VSG on 11/19/18

Wombat, you are so right. That's a major reason why I'm probably feeling so overwhelmed. I havent really asked for help. I am definitely going to have to meal plan/buy precooked once I transition back to food, because I can't even imagine having the time to cook each day and eat on schedule. I'll be out by 7am and back home by about 10pm.

Thanks for the helpful tips!

xo

Most Active
Recent Topics