VSG diabetes question.

seattledeb
on 12/7/18 6:04 pm

It's such a horrible disease. I'm am so lucky never to have had it.

My friend would not be able to afford the maintenance/supplements after DS.

Thanks for the response.

happyteacher
on 12/8/18 5:34 pm

Thread is getting a bit old, but just found this and thought I would post it. It is from https://asmbs.org/patients/surgery-for-diabetes In short, 80% remission for Rny, 60% for Vsg. Rny has an additional 15% who improve, but not enough to be considered in remission.

ROUX-EN-Y GASTRIC BYPASS

Roux-en-y Gastric Bypass is a surgery that alters the GI tract to cause food to bypass most of the stomach and the upper portion of the small intestine. The operation results in significant weight-loss and causes remission of T2DM in 80 percent of patients and improvement of the disease in an additional 15 percent of patients.

Improvement or remission of diabetes with gastric bypass occurs early after surgery and before there is significant weight-loss. The weight-loss independent mechanisms of diabetes improvement after gastric bypass are partially explained by changes in hormones produced by the gut after the surgery, and this is an active area of research in the field of metabolic and bariatric surgery.

SLEEVE GASTRECTOMY

Sleeve Gastrectomy (Vertical gastrectomy) is an operation that removes a large portion of the stomach and, in doing so, causes weight-loss. The remaining stomach is narrow and provides a much smaller reservoir for food.

Sleeve gastrectomy also appears to have some weight-loss independent effects on glucose metabolism and also causes some changes in gut hormones that favor improvement in diabetes. Diabetes remission rates after sleeve gastrectomy are also very high (more than 60%) and, in some studies, similar to results seen after gastric bypass.

ADJUSTABLE GASTRIC BAND

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics