Are there many VSGers that lost 50% of total body weight?

RobbieMcKenney
on 10/24/18 8:36 am

I started at 273 and am now 139, 16 months after VSG. The surgeon set my weight goal at 161, but I knew I could do better than that. I am at the point where I just eat what I want, when I want. Even so, I am still slowly losing. Guess I will have to keep an eye on it to make sure I don't go too low. My happiest day was when I finally had a normal BMI - that has never happened to me since I was about 12 months old!

AccrualWorld
on 10/26/18 3:04 pm
VSG on 02/05/19

Wow those are great numbers! I don't know if I've ever had a healthy BMI so that would make me extremely happy as well! Thanks for your response.

animallover1247
on 10/25/18 5:09 pm

I lost 90% of my excess weight with vsg. I did have a revision to bypass because of reflux but I only had 10lbs to lose when I had my revision. My BMI was 50 and it's 26 today.

AccrualWorld
on 10/26/18 3:06 pm
VSG on 02/05/19

That's incredible! I am nervous about developing reflux and the possibility of another surgery, it sounds like it's kind of a crap shoot though on whether you develop it or not. Thanks for your response.

LesPhat
on 10/26/18 2:26 pm

I was able to lose 60% plus of my total with the VSG, started at nearly 400 lbs and now 2 yrs later have been hovering around 160 for the last few months. Considering others I've met through support groups and meetups I think this much is more likely the exception for VSG's but most have been successful overall.

BUT, I think; as others have said; its about the work and dedication YOU put into this effort in tandem with the surgery (any surgery).

This was / is one of the hardest things I've ever done but it gets easier as you make good habits a priority and important part of your daily lifestyle routine. Everyone's different, make the choice(s) that feel right to you and make the commitment to yourself....you are only cheating yourself if you don't.

Good luck and Good health!

AccrualWorld
on 10/26/18 3:08 pm
VSG on 02/05/19

WOW!!! That is so impressive, great job. Did your doctor try to talk you into bypass over sleeve? My doctor wasn't trying to pressure me or anything, he just suggested I consider bypass due to my BMI but sleeve just feels more comfortable to me. I want to put all my effort and dedication into this to be a success, even though I am well aware that it will be extremely difficult to fight myself and my own bad habits. Thanks for your input!

LesPhat
on 10/26/18 6:11 pm

thanks! Yes, the dr thought I should do bypass or even DS but I was uncomfortable with both without first trying the sleeve. Thankfully, it worked out. I know others who've had to go to the DS after plateauing with the sleeve short of their goal. I've been very fortunate for sure, no complications, no side effects or surprises, manageable loose skin, no joint issues, etc. Last thought, don't give mental time to bad habits instead focus on embracing good habits...it'll be easier.

Good luck!

Gwen M.
on 10/26/18 4:55 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Hiya!

I had VSG at age 37. My BMI was about 55 and my BMI is now about 26. I started at 320lb and I'm right around 155 now. I'd still like to lose approximately 30 pounds, but I'm not working very hard at it. If I got more serious about it, I'd get there more quickly.

And that's really what it boils down to - your success is based on you. You can lose weight for as long as you want. You can regain weight if you go back to old habits. Both surgeries are super great tools and both have their own pros and cons.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics