3 years

reree6898
on 10/2/18 7:28 am - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

Friday, Sept. 28th marked three years since I had my surgery. I had my 3 year check up with my surgeons office on Friday as well. When I went in everyone from the Nurse, to the NP, to the Nutritionist was thrilled with my progress. I have maintained my loss and am right at a very healthy body fat percentage and they called me a success story.

It is funny because I never thought I would be a success story. For years I was trapped in a bad marriage, I had no self worth, I was on the edge of medical issues due to my weight, I was 376 pounds, and I was just overall miserable. There were sadly many, many days where I hated my life.

Losing weight is not a miracle that makes everything magically better. However, as I lost the weight I gained my health and mobility which in turn helped me to have a greater sense of self worth and that changed my outlook on things. I got out of the bad emotionally abusive marriage where I was being cheated on consistently, and I found a new sense of being good on my own with who I was. In time (when I was least expecting it) a new relationship began with the best man I have ever met and I am now getting married this weekend.

At this point in my life I now am able to consider myself a success story, not just for losing the weight but for finding who I am and realizing that I am worth it and have real value. Weight loss is just a bonus, gaining health and self value are the real successes. I can say without doubt or hesitation that I now love my life!

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Lost 161 lbs since surgery, LOST 221 lbs overall so far!!

MissCheri18
on 10/2/18 7:59 am - Daytona Beach, FL
VSG on 06/25/18

Sounds like you have found yourself and have a much better life, congrats on the new man in your life and I wish you and him a lifetime of happiness together! BTW congrats on losing and maintaining the weight loss that is super awesome! Thank you for sharing your story!

5' 2". 60-year-old (at time of surgery)

HW 239.9, SW 223

GW (Surgeon) 150, GW (Mine) 135

Cheri

reree6898
on 10/3/18 6:18 am - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

Thank you!

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Squishy_in_the_middl
e

on 10/2/18 8:02 am

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding!

That is a wonderful post. Very encouraging for those that still have the self doubt and feel ho hum about themselves. I still have days where I second guess my decision and wonder why/ what made me choose this path that I am currently on.

Then I look in the mirror... see myself 47 pounds lighter, smaller and I think I have a smile on my face. I no longer take my cholesterol medication. My psychiatrist is looking to shrink my depression meds on our next visit. My blood pressure has become normal.

I see my husband looking at me differently for the better, he compliments more, wants to hold my hand instead of walk in front of me while at the mall.

Now I realize why I did this. It was to better myself inside and out. Turns out this is the best decision of my life!

Orientation- May 2017, Pre nutrition class- Aug 2017, Blood work- Aug 2017. RPN meeting- Sept 2017. Dietician and Psychiatrist Dec 2017. Internist- Dec 2017. Meet the Surgeon Feb 20th 2018. VSG surgery march 17, 2018 with Dr. Gmora

reree6898
on 10/3/18 6:19 am - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

Thank you! Yes, I have said several times that this has been one of the very best things I have ever done for myself!

Had VSG on 9/28/15

TripleAxel
on 10/2/18 9:39 am
VSG on 09/20/18

Congratulations to you for being a success story! So happy for you! You should be so proud of yourself, because WLS is a valuable tool for weight loss, but only if you stick to what you need to do. Your losing weight and keeping it off means you are tough, resilient, and persistent!! I hope I'm in your position three years from now too.

Age 56. HW: 233 SW: 214 VSG 9/20/18, Hosp. of the Univ. of Pennsylvania, Dr. Noel Williams

reree6898
on 10/3/18 6:20 am - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

Thank you for the kind words!

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Chanelcamp26
on 10/2/18 11:51 am
VSG on 07/24/18

Huge Congratulations to you both on the maintenance of your weight loss and your new marriage.

Such exciting things happen when we finally realize our worth and let go of what held us back.

I'm struggling with being excited over my husband finding me attractive again and being mad at him for not loving me unconditionally. I notice a lot of people treating me so much better now that I've lost weight. While it is nice, it also ****** me off that I was treated so poorly before because of my weight.

Fat prejudice is a real thing.

I'm still at the beginning stage and I still have those fears of... what if a fail again? So it is nice to hear about your success.

reree6898
on 10/3/18 6:28 am - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

Thank you! Yes, it is so true that fat prejudice is a very real thing. I have realized that before I lost the weight I was the 376 pound invisible woman. People didn't make eye contact with me or say hello in passing, things like that. It is sad but now that I have lost the weight and am "normal" I have found that people look me in the eye and greet me in passing or make sure to open doors, etc. when that was not the case before. Weight shouldn't matter in how people are treated. I had the fear's of failure with this as well however after making the commitment to stay accountable to myself by daily tracking every bite that goes in my mouth (1103 consecutive days on fitness pal now) and making sure to weigh myself regularly this is now my lifestyle and that helps so I stay on track.

Had VSG on 9/28/15

CatLady3401
on 10/2/18 1:00 pm
VSG on 09/26/18

Thanks for sharing your success! It's uplifting to read. Congratulations on all of your accomplishments.

Most Active
Recent Topics